Ketchikan at 6:30 a.m.

brainerdgal

Our port time in Ketchikan is 6:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. We plan to be on our own instead of any organized excursion--walk Creek Street, maybe take a bus to Saxman or Totem Bright, eat at the Fish Shack.

My question is whether we should try to be off the ship before about 8 a.m. Is the town awake before then?!

Absolutely IF you want to max out your short time, get off that ship early. If you are looking at Totem Bight, the first bus starts early, and that is the one to be on, not a later, more crowded bus. You need to allow 3 hours.

I "plan" on people sleeping in, and have no problem doing what ever I want, including getting some good walk up flight deals. I usually am flying at 7am :) I much prefer this port time, compared to later. :)

8:00 AM is fine. While the stores are not yet open, restaurants are and it is a nice way to begin to view the town and to take any photos you want of the town before it is crowded. We have done this before to walk around.

Keith

When we were there in 2011 most of the stores were not open but we were able to walk the streets of Ketchikan without many others. It was so nice. We were able to take photos without those dreaded shots of people walking in front of you etc. Its beautiful early in the morning.

Absolutely IF you want to max out your short time, get off that ship early. If you are looking at Totem Bight, the first bus starts early, and that is the one to be on, not a later, more crowded bus. You need to allow 3 hours.

I "plan" on people sleeping in, and have no problem doing what ever I want, including getting some good walk up flight deals. I usually am flying at 7am :) I much prefer this port time, compared to later. :)

Most cruise passengers sleep in and/or linger over breakfast. I agree with Budget Queen that it is a good idea to get moving early to catch the best opportunities.

THANK YOU everyone! We didn't plan to sleep in for the sake of sleeping in, but we also didn't want to get off if the time wouldn't be productive. You all convinced me that the early time is definitely the best. We'll be off the ship as soon as we possibly can!

Get off the ship and go to the following below for breakfast. The eggs and reindeer sausage were some of the best I have had.

Its a short walk from the ship to this location.

Pioneer Cafe

619 Mission St, Ketchikan, AK

Archived