money bar question

CENTEX CRUISER

Never had any problem securing beach chairs there, although we tend to arrive a bit earlier than most. There is not any real natural shade there, perhaps a bit up toward the dive shack. There are umbrellas on the tables however and the restaurant is open. This picture will give you an idea; the dive shack is behind the big tree and there are more tables and beach chairs behind the picture.

Christmas%2520-%2520Cruise%2520Day%25204%2520035.jpg

Are you able to swim/play in the water at the Money Bar? Traveling with 5 kids. The photos look like just a drop, not easy to just walk into the ocean.

The Money Bar is not a place I'd take kids to play in the water - you're better off at a traditional sandy beach like Paradise Beach (plus they have a HUGE pool!). Good luck! :)

We are also wondering about the Money Bar. We're on the Allure next week and will be in Cozumel, 8am-7pm. We're doing a snorkel tour that should end by 1:00 pm. I saw on Money Bar's website that they are only 1.5 miles from the main pier. Is it walkable, ie: safe & a resonably easy walk? Or do we need to take a taxi?

We are also wondering about the Money Bar. We're on the Allure next week and will be in Cozumel, 8am-7pm. We're doing a snorkel tour that should end by 1:00 pm. I saw on Money Bar's website that they are only 1.5 miles from the main pier. Is it walkable, ie: safe & a resonably easy walk? Or do we need to take a taxi?

While maybe you could walk it, with the heat, the crazy drivers, and the opportunity to get lost I'd spend $10 each way on a taxi. Good luck! :)

Cab was 9.00 each way (not per person) for 3 of us. Seemed safe and not too far from the ship, but there was not much shade, so it's not a walk I'd like to do.

While at the money bar, we saw many snorkel trips drift by. The boats take their group to the reef, let the snorkelers out and the snorkelers and boat drift in the current down the reef. They were out a little further then we were. We saw lots of fish and a spotted moray eel the day we were there.:)

While maybe you could walk it, with the heat, the crazy drivers, and the opportunity to get lost I'd spend $10 each way on a taxi. Good luck! :)

My DH & I were just hoping to walk off some of those extra calories we'll be consuming on the ship ;) But good point about the heat, and I didn't even think about the crazy drivers! Thanks for the reply. We'll take the taxi & if we want to walk, we'll do it on the jogging track on the ship :D

Are you able to swim/play in the water at the Money Bar? Traveling with 5 kids. The photos look like just a drop, not easy to just walk into the ocean.

I agree with the previous poster. The Money Bar, although we love it, is not a place I'd go with kids. I'd be too scared they fall off the retaining wall.

I do not find it expensive there. I guess it depends what you are comparing it to.

@OP never had a problem finding a chair. Shade is limited.

I was wondering what expensive is ? How much is beer or drinks if you recall. A consideration is that there is no entrance fee.

I agree with the previous poster. The Money Bar, although we love it, is not a place I'd go with kids. I'd be too scared they fall off the retaining wall.

I do not find it expensive there. I guess it depends what you are comparing it to.

@OP never had a problem finding a chair. Shade is limited.

I was wondering what expensive is ? How much is beer or drinks if you recall. A consideration is that there is no entrance fee.

We have always purchased packages there, snorkeling, lunch/drink, massage, and cocktail and felt that price, $55 each, was more than reasonable. Last time we did get a couple additional margaritas and although I don't remember the exact price they were probably around $6. I would also highly recommend the massage on the beach.

We had no problems with after having drinks with ice at the moneybar. We also did not find the prices expensive. We each (DH and I) had two cans of coke (served with ice),chips and salsa cost was 15.00 plus tip.

I took my kids just this week but they are 10, 12 and 13. They loved the Money bar and the fish are really right there. I read some posts about swimming further north to the protected area and so we did that. I did not see anything special further up. There are fish right in front of Money Bar.

The water was crystal clear and there were plenty of other kids doing the same. Yes there is a current but you can go down one set of steps by the dive shack and out of the water up the other steps by the pier.

We then left and went to Paradise Beach. My kids really loved the toys there but the water was murky and I did not feel even like stepping in there.

Have fun.

We had no problems with after having drinks with ice at the moneybar. We also did not find the prices expensive. We each (DH and I) had two cans of coke (served with ice),chips and salsa cost was 15.00 plus tip.

Sorry, but being a local I guess what I rate as expensive is a bit differrent. Places we go the 2 cokes and salsa with chips would be no more than about $7...I also am used to using peso prices since that is what I live on and pay bills with.

Sorry, but being a local I guess what I rate as expensive is a bit differrent. Places we go the 2 cokes and salsa with chips would be no more than about $7...I also am used to using peso prices since that is what I live on and pay bills with.

Where do you go?

Our biggest consideration is somewhere with good snorkeling- so Money Bar fit the bill. Husband and I shared a plate of nachos and had 4 fruity drinks total for $24, we thought it was a really cheap day.

But if there is a place with even cheaper drinks and great snorkeling, I'd love to find it! We hope to go back to Cozumel in December.

I took my kids just this week but they are 10, 12 and 13.
I'm sure you'd agree though, not a place for younger kids.

It has been a year and a half since we last went. Local beer was $3 each can't recall for the mixed drinks but they used to have a drink menu on their website. Made the bad mistake of trying a different spot in March this year. Back to the Money for us.

The Money Bar is my favorite place to go while in Cozumel. I usually encourage other couples on the boat to join us. Have never had anyone complain or dislike the place. Was just there from my April 14th cruise and really enjoyed the peace and quiet. Managed to encourage my sister and another to snorkel. Just be aware that the current can be strong. They have a map on the dive/snorkel shop that shows the current. While snorkeling, we saw lots of beautiful fish some of which were following us which was cute. The water was crystal clear and warm. We swam for about 1 hour. There is a several ways to get in the water, one is via a ladder at the end of a small pier and the other which consists of a handrail attached to side of one of the sea walls. We chose the later option and had no issues getting in/out. Had no problems with the food/drink and found them to be reasonable with regards to price. There is plenty of shade so none of use got burnt. You will see a few snorkel boats drop people just off shore to do snorkeling so you know you are in a good spot. When, I snorkeled I came across some scuba divers on the sea floor which was kinda of cool. Can't wait to go back there again as the place can't be beat. If you are looking for a place that does not charge an entrance fee, has good food/drink, is not overcrowded, has very clean restrooms and changing areas, and good snorkeling then come here.

• 1 month later...

Is it easy to get cabs/bus to and from the pier where the cruise ships land at to get to the Money Bar or do I have to worry about not being able to get back to the ship when we have had enough snorkling/eating/drinking there?

Is it easy to get cabs/bus to and from the pier where the cruise ships land at to get to the Money Bar or do I have to worry about not being able to get back to the ship when we have had enough snorkling/eating/drinking there?

No problem :cool: - if there are no cabs lined up waiting then speak to one of the waiters and they will call for one. You are only about a 10 minute/$10+tip cab ride from the piers. Cabs are easy and fairly well regulated in Coz (something I can't say about Philadelphia! :mad:).

Good luck! :)

Archived