What is your 2nd favourite cruise line?

DonOtt

RCI is our preferred cruiseline, and we feel Princess provides an equivalent cruising experience, although "blander".

We haven't tried Celebrity yet, but I have a good feeling about it too.

The only line I will never cruise on again is Carnival.

Princess is my favorite line. Everything else is based on itinerary, price, whatever sounds good at the moment. The only line I don't like is Costa and my recent Carnival Glory cruise persuaded me that for now, Carnival isn't going in a direction I like, so will be avoiding them for a while, at least in the Caribbean. I enjoy everything about RCCL except the food in the MDR, which I think could be better. I enjoy Chops, but eat too much, so I've decided that in the future I will order the Chops steak in the MDR on a couple of nights - costs less, I get a better meal, and eat less also - win win for me,

Ncl for us. They do the suite life so well! And the fact that they haven't abandoned the west coast helps. Since royal only does Alaska now, and hasn't yet beat them in price for those runs, it's made it difficult for us to have any other option but a second line if we want to cruise from near our home.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Celebrity would be my favourite line (at this point in time). Have only done a short RCI (Radiance) cruise and liked the ship a lot, except for the tiny bathroom and lack of toiletries. The speciality dining was the best we have had on almost all the ships we have been on. Not impressed with Princess offerings in Australia from a short cruise on the Dawn P, thought it was dark and cramped but that's just my opinion as I know lots of people love her.

We still give RCCL a very slight edge, mainly due to ship design and fellow travelers. But, Princess is a very close second.

Princess has a strong advantage IMHO with their International Café, pool-side pizza and Trident grill for fresh burgers and dogs, and their non-alcoholic beverage package. RCCL could learn a lot from Princess.

I could care less about some of RCCL's recent enhancements like the DreamWorks stuff and bumper cars.

We've hitched our wagon to Royal Caribbean, but we really like Princess as well. I feel like I could cruise with them and not miss much, except for the fact that we are not "Diamond" level with them.

I only have one cruise under my belt so not eligible to answer this question. But I have been reading about cruising and ships like crazy. After reading the responses, I understand the Celebrity love because its the same company. But i am curious why so many RCCL cruisers also like Princess? Why not HAL? Is Hal a step up compared to Princess?

I only have one cruise under my belt so not eligible to answer this question. But I have been reading about cruising and ships like crazy. After reading the responses, I understand the Celebrity love because its the same company. But i am curious why so many RCCL cruisers also like Princess? Why not HAL? Is Hal a step up compared to Princess?

HAL is certainly not a step up from Princess (well not in my opinion anyway) and tends to attract a more 'mature' client base. Both lines are owned by Carnival.

Our favourite line is Princess. They just seem to have the right balance, i.e. not too glitzy and not too staid.

For us its RCL and HAL although we really enjoyed our Carnival crruise in January. We like longer cruises than 7 days and enjoyed both our HAL and RCL cruises - each of which has its differences.

How very nice to read all your replies.

We've only tried Royal and I'd like to try Celebrity and Princess.

This thread convinced me that we should :)

Those are my other choices........I have cruised RCCL lots...........Celebrity twice......and just recently went on my first Princess cruise......would cruise any of them again.

How very nice to read all your replies.

We've only tried Royal and I'd like to try Celebrity and Princess.

This thread convinced me that we should :)

Same here. Definitely want to do an Alaskan cruise and RCCL offerings are so slim, will be looking at Princess for that.

1) RCL

2) Carnival

3) Celebrity

4) NCL

I admit I'm in a minority for Carnival as #2, but we've had some fun cruises with Carnival and the price is certainly great. I'd probably cruise with them more if their frequent-cruiser program offered better rewards.

Celebrity was lovely in many ways, but we tried them at the wrong time and on the wrong ship (a shoulder Alaskan cruise with small kids). There just weren't enough other kids on board to make that particular cruise ideal for us. When we went to pick up our kids from the kids' program, we once found the counselor sleeping and the kids unsupervised. The waiters though were stand-outs, possibly being the best wait staff we ever had.

Our NCL Alaskan cruise was a mixed bag. The price was right, and I liked the food. However, I thought the shows were just so-so and the stage was small compared to RCl and Carnival ships. We had some bad weather, and the ship felt extremely crowded with everyone inside. I've also been spoiled by non-stop food on RCL and Carnival, and there was actually (shock!) an hour or so when we couldn't find something to eat.

Never got on my Princess cruise, since my boss canceled my vacation (and reimbursed me for the cruise) a few days before we were supposed to cruise :-(.

Interestingly, my best cruises and my worst cruise have both been on RCL. Our worst cruise was a last minute bargain-booking on an older RCL ship. The service was fine as always, but the decor was boring and the food was definitely not up to RCL's usual standards. I've always wondered since then if the reduced quality of food was typical of off-season, deeply discounted weeks. They were painting balconies, refurbishing empty cabins (including the cabins on either side of our suite) and doing some painting in the halls. They'd start working at 7 am, and we heard a lot of noise. There were never many people at any of the shipboard activities. Any cruise is a great, but that one was probably my worst experience.

The only way I can be sure which is my favorite cruise line is to travel on every cruise line and every ship. I'm working on it!

1) Celebrity - like the ships, service, itineraries & sophisticated environment

2) Royal Caribbean - definitely for the WOW! factor - great ships & entertainment - on these cruises the ship IS our destination!

3) Princess - elegant ships, relaxing environment. These are our hang out on the balcony with a good book cruises!

Did not particularly care for Carnival or NCL the one time we sailed each of these lines. Were they horrible? No. It's just that we prefer Celebrity, Royal, & Princess over them.

We've got HAL & Cunard on our future bucket ship list. Also, would like to try Azamara or Oceana. But budget wise, we'd have to give up cruising twice a year to take just one of those lines and we like being at sea too much to do that. Especially when we're perfectly content and happy doing what we do now.

Archived