Interior obstructed view

PA Beachlovers

We are looking at booking our next cruise, we have had an interior room, didn't really care for the fact that we didn't know if it was day or night out. Had an ocean view, really liked that, and we have a cruise booked with a balcony, we wanted to try a balcony once so we went for it. We are beginning to look at our next cruise and the category 4J, interior with obstructed view. It is getting a window without paying the ocean view price. My question is, I understand there is a small walkway or what some people call the private deck in front of these type rooms. How much noise do you hear from the walkway, or don't many people go out there.

I did my one and only 4J Feb 27th, on Conquest and it was not for me. It was so windy that the Captain closed the doors to the outside decks. Its the Captains choice if these doors are open or not. there is also a sign on the windows to close them at dark so they dont interfere with navigation. It gets dark early in the winter, so from about 4:30 pm the rubber backed curtains had to be closed. Quiet sure.. very rocky due to the wind.

Give me a PT, with port holes any time. Its cheaper, bigger, about the same size as a OV, and I dont have to close the windows at night and can wake up with the sun shining in on sea days.

Im a PT fan, not 4js after the one I had earlier this year.

Last Dec we had them on the Breeze and Liberty. Loved them and those private walkway decks. On the Breeze there were loungers stacked up for our use. Had lunch from room service out there on sea days. Will do it again in a heart beat. Enjoy!:p

I did my one and only 4J Feb 27th, on Conquest and it was not for me. It was so windy that the Captain closed the doors to the outside decks. Its the Captains choice if these doors are open or not. there is also a sign on the windows to close them at dark so they dont interfere with navigation. It gets dark early in the winter, so from about 4:30 pm the rubber backed curtains had to be closed. Quiet sure.. very rocky due to the wind.

Give me a PT, with port holes any time. Its cheaper, bigger, about the same size as a OV, and I dont have to close the windows at night and can wake up with the sun shining in on sea days.

I have enjoyed the rooms with out any problems and then again I have had the same experience as you. One reason I stated " not from the people walking around out there at least" ;) If your on a rough sea , your going to feel and hear it .

Do ocean view rooms have to have the curtains closed at night? We switched from an interior on Lido to a corner aft OV (room 2470 on Valor) and since it has a couple windows I was hoping to be able to wake up with sun shining in

We had an inside obstructed view on the soon to be SUNSHINE and loved it and the deck out front.

But our PVP found us an outstanding OV on Liberty - 2470 AFT With two portholes and absolute quiet in the hall on the Main Deck . Very large room -are new our favourite. We found Balconies noisy. Use the money we saved for some

PORT fun

Do ocean view rooms have to have the curtains closed at night? We switched from an interior on Lido to a corner aft OV (room 2470 on Valor) and since it has a couple windows I was hoping to be able to wake up with sun shining in

As far as I know, you will not have to close the curtains at night in your ocean view room and you will be able to wake up with the sun shining in (if the sun is shining, of course). In general, those in ocean view rooms do not have to close the curtains at night.

This thread is specifically discussing Carnival's 4J rooms, which are at the very front of the ship above or below the bridge. Even though 4J rooms are not categorized as ocean view rooms, they have windows.

At night, if you have lights on in a 4J room and do not close the curtains, the light affects the view from the bridge, and maybe other navigational aids.

As far as I know, you will not have to close the curtains at night in your ocean view room and you will be able to wake up with the sun shining in (if the sun is shining, of course). In general, those in ocean view rooms do not have to close the curtains at night.

This thread is specifically discussing Carnival's 4J rooms, which are at the very front of the ship above or below the bridge. Even though 4J rooms are not categorized as ocean view rooms, they have windows.

At night, if you have lights on in a 4J room and do not close the curtains, the light affects the view from the bridge, and maybe other navigational aids.

Thanks! Sorry about the confusion, the room categories are still confusing to me :)

Have had 4J's 4 times. Really enjoyed the location- though you will need to choose wisely. Don't take one of the 'end' cabins near the doors. We had a few of those (Splendor 7205, 7206(the kids), and 1001. Also had Magic 9201) - every time anyone went out the door to the front deck it would SLAM so hard our walls would shake. I finally got so tired of it I made a sign and posted it on the door- CLOSED. Got better. I have seen other posts where people said the doors do NOT slam- maybe some doors have a better mechanism. I think it was Serene that posted she put a towel over the top of the door so it couldn't close all the way- great idea.

Very windy out there- can't really enjoy when ship is moving. Splendor and Magic did not have any loungers or seating out there except for the 2 wooden benches. Not too many people, more the first few days while people explore. Though, had to go out at 3:30AM one night to 'shoo' some partiers out from sitting underneath my window. We were moving pretty fast and they had to shout to hear each other. They said they didn't realize there were cabins on the other side or the wall. Though early every morning would go out to see the sunrise and would find drink glasses and beer bottles rolling around.

The Magic 9201 was the biggest. Everyone loved our cabin on our 'cabin crawl'. Lots more floor space than the other cabins we toured. Worst for space (and noise) were the 'triangular' end cabins. Odd layout- and the beds cannot be moved from the 'head-to-head' placement along the long wall. Wouldn't do those again.

We love 4J's - we have stayed in the 4 times. They have a larger bathroom and I think a larger cabin in general. I love the fact that they are at the front of the ship and not match hallway foot traffic. We have always felt like we have our own private deck since only a few people come out there. I have run out there in my pajamas and taken beautiful pics of the sunrise and never saw a soul.

We have stayed in interior cabins twice and we dealt with loud neighbors, kids running down the halls and doors constantly slamming all day and night. 4J is so much better than that. The curtains being closed after dark did not bother me at all.

One of the only disadvantages that I have found is that if you book Early Saver, since there are only a few of these 4J cabins available on the ship you most likely will never be able to get a price drop. :cool:

We love the 4J cabins, location, and the deck. I had one on the Glory last May, and am booked in one on the Breeze next month. On the Glory it was a place to watch sail away, and get sunrise pictures. We never had a problem with people or noise.

One of the only disadvantages that I have found is that if you book Early Saver, since there are only a few of these 4J cabins available on the ship you most likely will never be able to get a price drop. :cool:

We are booked Early Saver for our 4J next month, and we got tons of price drops. I was able to get over $400 off prior to final payment, got $180 in OBC (got $40 of that 5 days ago), and we moved from deck 6 to 10 for no cost!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=28374339&postcount=20

i am trying 9200 on Glory come August. This is a 6K

--

With the 6 K the shades MUST be drawn down at night.

I have never heard the 4j needed to close the shades because of navigational issues. these cabins are set back away from the bridge.

They should be closed because people can see into the cabin.

Not many people know the public deck is out there-- doors are off to the side and can not be seen from the halls.

But people do slam those doors-- if it gets bothersome throw a towel over the top to muffle the sound

Well, after reading all the comments on the interior obstruced views, more seemed positive than negative so we took the plunge and booked one. It is a long way off, Oct '14 but amazingly quite a few of these rooms were already gone, we got the last one on the Lido deck. Two days ago there was two available. One deck down on the Vista deck there is only one more available. Hopefully we made a good choice.

Well, after reading all the comments on the interior obstruced views, more seemed positive than negative so we took the plunge and booked one. It is a long way off, Oct '14 but amazingly quite a few of these rooms were already gone, we got the last one on the Lido deck. Two days ago there was two available. One deck down on the Vista deck there is only one more available. Hopefully we made a good choice.

if looking online you will only see a select few cabins showing as available. You will NEVER see more then just a few (7-9 in any category) of you changed the number of passengers you will see other cabins.

being this far out-- many agents are holding group space

Archived