Travelling with 9-month old; sterilizing bottles and storing breast milk

bertrande

We travel with our 8-month old baby next month on the Liberty of the Seas (so she'll be 9 months when she cruises). She still drinks 30-35oz of breast milk 7-8 times a day and she only takes it via the bottle as she has not nursed since she was a month old. I hand express about 40oz a day and so we will have a little leftover everyday. This leftover builds up and typically I will have an extra day's supply by every third or fourth day. I have no problems pumping and dumping (have done it a few times when traveling without LO) but with LO coming with us, I would like to keep that little extra as long as I can as a buffer before dumping when it becomes unusable. I have read the various threads on storing breast milk and it seems that asking our cabin steward for ice is the way to go for storing the milk in the cabin fridge which is little more than a cooler. I intend to do that but have a few additional questions.

My questions are:

1) if I need the ice more than twice a day or on the occasion where I need more ice than what has been provided, is there any way of obtaining it from say the buffet restaurant rather than troubling the cabin steward?

2) Is the cabin kettle generally big enough for sterilizing bottles in them (or am I crazy to even think of this?) or do I have to lug my sterilizer along?

3) Can we request for the cabin fridge to be totally emptied? How we finally feed is that I typically have at least 5-6 feeds in the fridge at any one point in time and I don't think it's going to change with this trip. I will place the feeds in storage ziplock bags but they would still take up space and I would also prefer the fridge to be as empty as possible so that it can be the coolest possible.

Thanks very much in advance!

I am no cruise expert, however I do like to help people out in trickier breast feeding situations.

I would call the number that people recommend people with medical needs (such as insulin for diabetes needing refrigeration) call and ask for a real fridge. I would not waste an ounce of that gold myself. Also...what if you got sick (knock on wood, but it can happen).

As for sterilization. I'd either ask my pediatrician if it was ok to stop doing this at this point since I'm assuming she's taking in other foods and liquids out of non-sterile vessels. Or maybe you're storing in the bottles? If that's the case I'd buy some breast milk bags for the trip instead. You could also buy the microwavable sterilization bags for the trip. You can re-use the bags many times and I'm guessing it might be easier to get to a microwave than the other options.

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you for your response, lastminutemama. Yes I'm going to bring breast milk bags but I feed LO out of a bottle and was wondering about the sterilization of those once she's done with them. But I will check with the PD because she is taking her solids out of non-sterile bowls and using non-sterile cutlery.

I'm sure you can get ice if needed. Usually you have a number to call for cabin service during "off" hours.

We stopped sterilizing nipples (used drop ins so never had to sterilize bottles) for DD around 4-5 months (pedi gave ok). Maybe see if your DD will take a playtex drop in bottle. Those would be much easier to deal with in a cabin.

At nine months, you really don't need to "sterilize" anymore. Kids are becoming mobile and are touching plenty of germy things...building their immunity. Bring dish soap to wash bottles, and don't worry about sterility!

Most ships have small dorm-style fridges...might not be cold enough, so I'd dump any extra....it's only a week!

I didnt even sterilize when mine were newborns. I did it right after buying the bottles and that was it. Ooopsie lol.

But yeah, i would probably dump too. Unless you can get a fridge like someone mentioned, ive never heard of that.

Hi

Whilst I am not bfeeding anymore my dd has 20oz of formula in 4 bottles each day.

She will be 8 months when we travel on liberty next month.

We are super lucky as we are in a g suite so we have a kettle of our own to make up the formula. We use a microwave steriliser at home for her bottles so this is not an option for us to bring. We have decided to use the milton sterilising tablets in a portable sterilising tub. This sterilises the bottles with no need for rinsing in 15 minutes.

As an alternative to this we have also got 10 or so disposable bottles, but I imagine this is probably not an option as you lo feeds more regulary than mine

Hope this help x

Thanks everyone! Don't think disposable bottles are practical given how many times she drinks a day but it's heartening to know babies don't necessarily need all that sterilising - over here where I live, they generally recommend sterilising bottles until the baby is 12 months of age. I will also check out the sterilising tablets etc.

Kimmy_bos, you planning to take jarred baby food onboard? My LO has been on primarily home cooked cereals (i.e. cooked from raw grains) and puree. To prepare her for the trip I have only recently started introducing jarred baby food and oatmeal from a box to her. She likes the oatmeal but the jury is still out on the various jarred food...we'll just have to keep trying!!

The playtex drop in bottles might be a good option. The liners (that hold the milk) are disposable ( you can get a box of 50-100), but you re-use the actual bottle & nipple.

Are you flying in ahead of time? If so, you could stop at a grocery store or Target to get supplies. I'd suggest taking baby food with you. You may be able to order some through Royal Caribbean, but you probably don't have much say in what food (ex. Just fruit, veggie, etc).

You are a very dedicated Mom! Your baby is very lucky, IMO. I agree with PP. Call special services ahead of time and ask for a medical fridge. Store the milk in bags. You can warm the milk in hot tap water. Take a small container of dish soap and wash your bottle parts. Disposable bottle liners are a great option. You can wash bottle parts in hot, soapy water. I wouldn't worry about sterilizing at your baby's age. Your breast milk has anti-bacterial properties on its own. Enjoy your cruise!

I used the Playtex bottles too, that had the drop in liners. Tossed the liners after each use and just wash the nipples. I do sterilize when I am home but when we are on the ship I get hot water from the tea/coffee dispenser in the casual eating restaurant. Then I just dip it and go.

Since I nurse direct most of the time, I never had to worry about storing the extra.

I did get ice from the restaurant.

I do know of cruisers who request their fridge be emptied.

I never sterilized anything after 3-4 months and my kids got along fine. I never once warmed a bottle, either (my doctor, when asked, laughed and said the warming was because it made the mother feel good and babies don't care), which seemed to be true for mine. They grew up healthy, few illnesses.

Ask your Dr., but at 9 months I really don't think it is necessary unless your baby has some immune system problem. She's probably eating finger foods by now, too, so that is an option in the dining room. They will puree foods for you, though, I think.

Hello lovely

We are not planning on taking any jars/pouches of baba food. I tend to make everything from scratch for her and when we have tried her on the processed food it has not been a pretty sight vomit wise.

I do however give her baby cereal in the morning so will take a box of rice or porridge. However she is fine with weetabix too. At the moment she has cereal and purée fruit or banana for breakfast. Meat / fish and veg purée fur lunch and a similar dish for tea at 5. She is starting to handle lumps much better so I think we will be able to manage mashing fruits and veggies from the windjammer. I have also heard that they will purée meals for you if you ask - bit there is mixed reports on this.

I am in absolute awe of your bfeeding - I nursed my daughter until she was 6 months and when I needed to express it took me 30 mins to get 2 oz!

With regards to your sterilising you must do what you are comfortable with. I completely respect the posters that choose not too but here in the uk the guidance is to do bottles for 12 months. I think if it is worrying you you would be best to take your steriliser for peace of mind. I knit I couldn't do the cruise without sterilising so we found the tablet option will suit us

If you do decide to carry your sterilizer with you make sure to contact the special needs department at Royal Caribbean in advance. People are often stopped with any type of appliance device at boarding. You don't want to have to argue the point with security during boarding--as long as you have permission from special needs it shouldn't be an issue.

2) Is the cabin kettle generally big enough for sterilizing bottles in them (or am I crazy to even think of this?) or do I have to lug my sterilizer along?

I thought you got a coffee maker and not a kettle. It wouldn't be possible to sterlize anything in the coffee maker. You could try sterilizing at home with a kettle and bring your own kettle if you still want to sterlize. I agree with everyone else about not needing to sterlize the bottles, but you still may want to sterlize the pump parts.

Thank you everyone for your very helpful suggestions!! I need to go find this Playtex disposable liners...to be honest, I have NEVER seen it in Singapore (where we are)! I have read about it in other threads but I have always thought we were talking about disposable bottles :confused: - the liners definitely sound doable and and if I only bring along a couple of bottles, even if we decide to sterilise, it would be a lot easier. flhokie, thanks for your tip on informing the special needs department, it's something we will do if we decide to lug the mini steriliser along with us. dijid - I don't use a pump so that's one thing out of the way :D

Thanks everyone! Don't think disposable bottles are practical given how many times she drinks a day but it's heartening to know babies don't necessarily need all that sterilising - over here where I live, they generally recommend sterilising bottles until the baby is 12 months of age. I will also check out the sterilising tablets etc.

Kimmy_bos, you planning to take jarred baby food onboard? My LO has been on primarily home cooked cereals (i.e. cooked from raw grains) and puree. To prepare her for the trip I have only recently started introducing jarred baby food and oatmeal from a box to her. She likes the oatmeal but the jury is still out on the various jarred food...we'll just have to keep trying!!

My little guy just turned 10 months old today. He loves his solids. He will eat cereal and fruit for breakfast. Cut up bananas and cherrios for snack. Veg purees for lunch along with some solid veggies like soft peas and carrots. more cheerios for a snack and then a veggie/meat puree for dinner. We also give him bits and pieces of most of what we have. He loves sweet potatoes. I cut them into fries and bake them in the oven with a little cinnamon over them. He loves broccoli too. Breast milk either in a bottle or from the "tap." ;D

He will be 12 months when we sail, so I'm not too worried about solids, but I do plan on bringing some of the pouches purees as standbys just in case. I've looked at the menu and figured I could get an adult dinner for both the kids (6 year old too) and split it. Chicken can be shredded for the baby with a fork and he can eat veggies/pasta too. I'm weaning so he may be on regular milk or soy by then.

Have you tried introducing finger foods yet? You LO may love to feed himself or herself. It's so cute to watch them stuff food in their mouths. ;)

We did baby led weaning too and it was so much fun.

I wouldn't be up for a new adventure like that while on a boat in the middle of the ocean though.

I wonder if you could order the bottle liners to have them delivered to your precruise hotel. I'm not an expert that knows where all of the cruises go from like others here!

I used these for my pump parts while traveling: http://amzn.com/B000CCXLNE

Per what i'm seeing on the packaging - I bet you could use them to sterlize bottles, nipples, and other bottle parts.

If you can get access to a microwave, you can use these http://amzn.com/B000096QQ5 This is what I used to sterlize my pump parts. I have also used them for bottles, nipples, etc in a pinch. The bags only require approximately 1.5 mins in the microwave and each bag can be used 20 times. There are 5 bags in a package.

These are my most favorite bags: http://amzn.com/B001EPQ1QW I used them to store milk. I also left milk in the bag as it warmed MUCH faster than trying to warm milk in the bottle.

I used this bottle warmer: http://amzn.com/B001C3I1AA It would warm 5oz of milk in the Lasinoh bags in about 2.5 mins. It's not a very large item. We have taken it with us on trips in the past. It's much faster than using hot water - unless of course it's SUPER hot water. When I was out - I would ask if they could give me hot water from an industrial coffee maker. You know, the ones that have a spout for hot water....

I'd agree with other PPs about requesting access to a large fridge. It would make things MUCH easier for you.

I pumped and breastfeed for 1 year. DS is currently 12.5 months! Please let me know if you have any more questions. Happy to help!

Playtex drop ins will be your friend. :)

Honestly, though, even for my NICU feeding tube little guy, we never sterilized We just put his bottles through the dishwasher with our neonatologist's blessing. At our large children's hospital, they don't sterilize the bottles or feeding tube equipment. They just wash them with Dawn (dish soap) and reuse them. You get one sippy cup to last your entire stay when you get to that point, too. He's been hospitalized 14 times for other complications, so sadly, we know the drill there.

In regards to baby food, I'd suggest getting pouches, such as these http://amzn.com/B005MHRB7G They will take up less space than the jars. My son loves the Plum brand. He also liked these other brands: Ella's Kitchen, Gerber, Earth's Best, and Happy Tot.

You can also pre-purchase diapers, food, and wipes through the RCI "Babies 2 Go" program http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/category/home.do?catCode=BABIES

When dd16 was a month old, I asked the pediatrician when I could stop sterilizing bottles and water for formula. She told me there was never any need to sterilize - babies need clean, not sterile, and unless you were touching the bottle with gloves (or the baby was wearing gloves), the bottle was no longer sterile anyway.

Glad I asked - went on to have 4 more, and never sterilized anything. Babies touch everything, and then stick their hands in their mouths. They are sucking unsterilized things all day long!

Archived