Excursions really necessary at Canada/NE Ports?

We are on Carnival Glory July 14. We have a 5 year old who is a good traveller and will be interested in anything we do, BUT we are trying to not overspend since we want to go to Disney for New Year's Eve, too!

I have been attempting to find info on whether port excursions are really necessary if we want to see anything?

I am wondering if there would be enough to do within walking distance of the ports? We're definitely considering the St Martins/Bay of Fundy trip at the St John, NB port.

Thanks in advance for your advice! :)

It will depend on the port & your interests

Sometime the city centre is a short taxi ride away or sometimes you can walk around

I would do some research on the port of call

You can always just enjoy the ship

Saint Johns and Halifax are both walkable from the ports, we did that last year, but not sure about Sydney. Maine has things that are close by too. We are on the same cruise, if you want to see Bay of Fundy I think a ship excursion is the best bet.

Sydney and Charlottetown I recommend renting a car. Halifax you can see on your own.

Do a search here of previous threads (Ports of Call - Canada page to the right of the blue bar near the top of the page) and then come back with some questions.

I have been doing a lot of research. I guess part of the issue is by having a car seat for our son. I know people will say...don't worry for vacations..you don't need them in cabs...but we don't take unnecessary risks.

I guess my question is...I have read a lot about peoples' excursions, but most seem to be car rentals or can pickups (freedom tours).

Thanks to the posters who let me know where we can actually see something simply by walking! :) Yes...the Bay of Fundy is looking like a cruise excursion for sure but waiting to hear if it's a van or a bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Car seat laws vary quite a bit by province. This link http://www.safekidscanada.ca/professionals/advocacy/documents/26794-boosterseatlegislationchart.pdf is a little out dated (I know boosters are now required in Alberta but no one is taking a cruise ship to Alberta). If you are renting a car, the rental company may be able to provide a car seat as well.

I'm taking a similar cruise in July and from what I can tell you'll likely be able to walk in Halifax but you might want to book excursions for Sydney as the best parts of Cape Breton are outside of Sydney.

We are on Carnival Glory July 14. We have a 5 year old who is a good traveller and will be interested in anything we do, BUT we are trying to not overspend since we want to go to Disney for New Year's Eve, too!

I have been attempting to find info on whether port excursions are really necessary if we want to see anything?

I am wondering if there would be enough to do within walking distance of the ports? We're definitely considering the St Martins/Bay of Fundy trip at the St John, NB port.

Thanks in advance for your advice! :)

We did the ship's tour of St Martins/Bay of Fundy and REALLY enjoyed it. The lobster chowder they served us was fantastic! The receeding bay was very interesting.

At Syndey there is not much near the pier. Most other places we could walk to many attractions.

DaveOKC

Archived