Can't Decide which Stingray Tour!

candipinki

I've begun to research stingray tours (not through the cruise line) and there's just so many it's really hard to decide!!! We have two new cruisers in our group of four and I'm the only one that has done a stingray excursion but through the cruise line.

Here's the needs: Must have a stingray stop and at least one snorkel stop. Must be able to drop us off before the last tender (obviously).

Here's the wants: Two snorkel stops, each stop for at least 30 minutes, lunch would be nice, small tour group, and a lower the price is better of course.

So far, the companies I've found are:

- Capt Marvin

- Nativeways

- Eco Adventures

- Moby Dick Tours

- Sun rays Tours

- Acquarius Sea Tour

- Buccaneer Tour

- Stingray Sailing

- Capt Bryan's

Are there any that I should remove from my list and why? Are there any I should add to my list and why? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!! :D

I've begun to research stingray tours (not through the cruise line) and there's just so many it's really hard to decide!!! We have two new cruisers in our group of four and I'm the only one that has done a stingray excursion but through the cruise line.

Here's the needs: Must have a stingray stop and at least one snorkel stop. Must be able to drop us off before the last tender (obviously).

Here's the wants: Two snorkel stops, each stop for at least 30 minutes, lunch would be nice, small tour group, and a lower the price is better of course.

- Capt Marvin

- Nativeways

- Eco Adventures

- Moby Dick Tours

- Sun rays Tours

- Acquarius Sea Tour

- Buccaneer Tour

- Stingray Sailing

- Capt Bryan's

Are there any that I should remove from my list and why? Are there any I should add to my list and why? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!! :D

I have the same needs and have had no luck. I want a tour that lets you spend a good amount of time interacting with the rays, and one that will let you take your own pics. Lots of companies take the pics, and you have to buy them. Very expensive! Good luck. If I find anything great, I will come back and let you know. :)

Our family of 4 used Nativeways a couple of years ago. We did the rays reef and rum point. A good company to go with. There were only about 10 of us on the tour and plenty of time with the Rays,snorkling and rum point. They do take pictures and under no pressure to buy them even though we did. We also took our cameras with us with no problems. Hope this helps

Harley :cool:

We used Stingray sailing last summer and cannot recommend them highly enough. We were uncrowded on their catamaran, stopped with the stingrays and then a snorkel at another spot and were able to use our own cameras. We did buy a disc from them with the pictures that they had taken but there was no pressure to buy and they were very reasonably priced. We did not have a lunch stop but they did supply sliced fruit and had cans of drinks to buy. They were fantastic with a young girl onboard who was absolutely terrified of getting in the water with the stingrays. With gentle coaching she went from floods of tears to smiling and petting the rays.

Chip and Michelle, the owners, were fabulous even walking me to a pharmacist when we were dropped back in town as it was slightly hidden away and Michelle was concerned I wouldn't be able to find it.

I am looking for the same tour for 4 people. So far the best quote I have received is from Moby Dick since they will drop us off at the Sunset Grill off Seven Mile Beach for no charge.

Any other recommendations for a group of 4 who are trying to avoid being on a huge boat with a lot of other people?

The Buccaneer Catamaran is excellent but you don't get lunch with your stingray city tour for $39. We did get a great tour on a nice catamaran and you get two snorkeling stops plus stingray city.

How many people in your group? If you do a private trip, you can get a pretty good rate and also have lunch options. Have you checked out the Outrage Stingray City Tour? Outrage Private Stingray City Tour Its $400 for up to 6 people and then $45 for extras and you can stop for lunch or starfish beach. We did the full day last year with two families and its was incredible! Transport is included so the only extra cost was the lunch we ordered.

We did Captain Marvin's a few years ago and loved it. DH and 2 DD and myself, can't remember the cost, but the kids said afterwards, "this was the best day EVER!" 2 snorkel spots and twice as long at stingray city as the cruise tours had. And only about 20-25 people on the boat. Very easy to find also, and within walking distance of the dock. (Like 6 blocks, maybe).

Go with Capt. Soto, IMHO he is the best. He only takes a few people out at a time and also stops at a great snorkeling location. Everyone I have recommended him to has raved about their experience. Here's his site http://www.sotoscruises.com/

When we went we had 5 people on the boat! When we got to Stingray City we watched the other boats pulling up with people practically hanging off the sides, they were so packed.

Native Ways, Rays, Reef & Rum point is my recommendation!! Very reasonably priced and includes lunch:)

First off I have to say that this was our best day in port!! We were picked up on time & transported to the marina & boarded a large boat (about 32 ft or so) There were only 10 of us and was plenty of room for more people. Our guide was Solomon & Andrew. Solomon was a great guide and spent a lot of time with everyone touching, holding, kissing the rays! We stopped and snorkeled where we saw many beautiful fish & then a 3rd stop where he dove down & brought up about 6 large starfish for us to see, hold & take pics! Then our last stop was Rum Point for a nice lunch that was included. The guides didn't even collect the money for our trip until the last few mins. when we were on our way back to the marina.

I highly recommend them & would use them again if I get to return to Cayman. My only warning would be the cost of drinks at the small bar at Rum Point. The sign read $10 for a frozen drink. I ordered 2 and it cost $28.75 US for 2 small frozen drinks in plastic to go cups! I was told the $20 CI was $28.75 US. I still think there must have been tax or tip added in.

We were told that we would be back at the cruise port at 4:30 but had not got off the boat by that time. We arrived back at the port at 5:00 & the last tender was at 5:15! It all worked out fine.

Unfortunately due to weather when I was in Grand Caymans in November my excursion with Stingray Sailing was cancelled :(. If I was ever to get back to Grand Caymans I would definately book through them again though. They were very professional from day one. They were at the pier when we arrived, even though Carnival changed the location, to let us know that they were hoping to get our excursion out. When it came time to cancel, again they met us promptly and told us that we would be refunded. I paid in full before we left. When I got home after my cruise, the refund was already applied to my credit card.

I've read great reviews here on Stingray Sailing and was sad that we didn't get out to the Stingrays but would definately recommend them for your excursion.

We used Moby Dicks and got about an hour of snorkeling at the reef, and about an hour or so of stingray interaction. Took our own pictures and Mark and his staff will even take photos of you using your own camera. There were only 15 or so on the entire boat and it was a wonderful experience. About $45 per person if I remember correctly.

Here's a video of our experience with the rays:

• 5 weeks later...

- Capt Marvin

- Nativeways

- Eco Adventures

- Moby Dick Tours

- Sun rays Tours

- Acquarius Sea Tour

- Buccaneer Tour

- Stingray Sailing

- Capt Bryan's

We have done this Western Caribbean itinerary twice now and both times have used Capt Marvins. I highky recommend it. The boats hold just the right amount of peopple, the crew are fantastic and higly loyal. When we went in 2006 we had a great mate and when we went in April of 2013 he was the one driving tbhe boat. THe cost is only $40 per Send them an email and you can make reservations in advance but pay when you get there and save $4 each.

Cheers, Kenn

We used Moby Dicks and got about an hour of snorkeling at the reef, and about an hour or so of stingray interaction. Took our own pictures and Mark and his staff will even take photos of you using your own camera. There were only 15 or so on the entire boat and it was a wonderful experience. About $45 per person if I remember correctly.

Here's a video of our experience with the rays:

Absolutely Loved the video! That sealed the deal! Absolutely doing the stingrays while in Grand Cayman!!!

Sent from My iPhone using Cruise Critic App

I have only done Cpt Marvin, but now have a new issue.

I was in a bad car accident, and now have to be focused on in/out of water access. I can't do the poorly designed boats any longer.

Who has a nice set of "stairs" with hand rails? Many thanks.

MarineLand Tours has an awesome boat with stairs on the back leading down to a platform right onto the sand bar they let you take all of your own pics and videos they have a website http://www.marinelandtours.com

if your sailing on carnival you must book them through carnival excursions its called the deluxe stingray city tour there is a picture of the boat on carnivals excursion listings just did it may 23rd 2013

Who has a nice set of "stairs" with hand rails? Many thanks.

I'll second TGunn...Marineland Tours has possibly the most accessible water entry I've seen. There are pics in the gallery on their website. I've seen the boat out at the sandbar, and it looks really easy to get in and out of the water, easier than any other boat I've seen.

Had a great time two years ago with Chip and his dad on stingraysailing. Just like sailing with a buddy, not crowded, clean, knowledgeable. Can't wait for my daughter (9) to feed the rays.

Have FUN!

Stingray Sailing are INCREDIBLE ... we can't recommend them highly enough. Chip, the owner/captain is such a wonderful guy, and really takes your trip seriously. On our excursion day, there were crazy high waves (like over 7 ft)...not anything we felt on the smooth catamaran, but noticeable once we got in the water. Knowing that I was a non-swimmer, Chip was glued to my side every time a wave hit, making sure I was ok. At the same time, he was ensuring the other guests were seeing and feeding as many rays as they could handle. Once we got to the snorkel spot, he jumped out ahead of everyone to determine the best, safest spot for seeing aquatic life while not being speared by coral in the rough water. Such a sweet crew...Chip's dad Buster was fun to talk to while everyone else was off snorkeling (and I was on the boat staying alive!). I encourage everyone to connect with Stingray Sailing if you're looking for a family friendly, personalized tour. We'll be calling them next time we're in GC for sure!

MarineLand Tours has an awesome boat with stairs on the back leading down to a platform right onto the sand bar they let you take all of your own pics and videos they have a website http://www.marinelandtours.com

if your sailing on carnival you must book them through carnival excursions its called the deluxe stingray city tour there is a picture of the boat on carnivals excursion listings just did it may 23rd 2013

Thank you for the information. Problem is, I'm looking for a snorkel site included.

Stingray Sailing are INCREDIBLE ... we can't recommend them highly enough. Chip, the owner/captain is such a wonderful guy, and really takes your trip seriously. On our excursion day, there were crazy high waves (like over 7 ft)...not anything we felt on the smooth catamaran, but noticeable once we got in the water. Knowing that I was a non-swimmer, Chip was glued to my side every time a wave hit, making sure I was ok. At the same time, he was ensuring the other guests were seeing and feeding as many rays as they could handle. Once we got to the snorkel spot, he jumped out ahead of everyone to determine the best, safest spot for seeing aquatic life while not being speared by coral in the rough water. Such a sweet crew...Chip's dad Buster was fun to talk to while everyone else was off snorkeling (and I was on the boat staying alive!). I encourage everyone to connect with Stingray Sailing if you're looking for a family friendly, personalized tour. We'll be calling them next time we're in GC for sure!

what type of access on and off the boat at the sites?

We had an amazing experience with NativeWays. We did the tour that included Rum Point... Which is still my favorite beach on ANY Caribbean island I have visited.

I don't remember the accessibility of their boat. We have another cruise booked for Nov.... Trying to decide between NativeWays or just renting a car and driving to Rum Point for the day.

Archived