Drinks Before Sailaway

aprilcruisers

My husband and I just returned on the Crown, and had a wonderful time, but I have a question for ya.

We ordered a bottle of champagne and chips and quacamole, (hey, we're from TX! :p) for sailaway. The food was delivered, but we were told they couldn't deliver champagne till after 7pm. Well after sailaway.

They said it was a Texas regulation about delivering alcohol. Hmm, never heard of this. Yet we were delivered a glass of champagne for sailaway. (eww, what was that stuff!!).

We sailed on Carnival Triumph last year, same port, and they delivered before sailaway.

What gives?

My husband and I just returned on the Crown, and had a wonderful time, but I have a question for ya.

We ordered a bottle of champagne and chips and quacamole, (hey, we're from TX! :p) for sailaway. The food was delivered, but we were told they couldn't deliver champagne till after 7pm. Well after sailaway.

They said it was a Texas regulation about delivering alcohol. Hmm, never heard of this. Yet we were delivered a glass of champagne for sailaway. (eww, what was that stuff!!).

We sailed on Carnival Triumph last year, same port, and they delivered before sailaway.

What gives?

There have been some tightening up of liquor and tax enforcement.

In Ft Lauderdale now one is charged for sales tax when purchasing drinks until the ship is out to a certain mileage limit too.

Texas is probably enforcing some liquor restriction now?

Texas liquor laws require that, while in Texas waters, the only alcohol that can be sold must have been purchased from authorized Texas distributers.

So, Princess (and I assume other cruise lines) purchase the minimum necssary to provide some drinks, but not all of what they normally sell. For example, they might only offer one brand of beer until they get out of Texas waters.

There have been some tightening up of liquor and tax enforcement.

In Ft Lauderdale now one is charged for sales tax when purchasing drinks until the ship is out to a certain mileage limit too.

Texas is probably enforcing some liquor restriction now?

It was the same thing from New Orleans on RCCL where everything had Louisiana taxes added until we were into the Gulf of Mexico which was about midnight. Thus any purchases the 1st evening had Louisiana taxes added. :(

We've run into that a few times sailing out of Galveston. Wine we pre-ordered wasn't delivered until the second day etc. I recall in February when we went on deck for a sail away drink we were told the selections would be limited until we got far enough away from land. We made do :-)

Archived