Any experience getting HAL to release a cabin from Collector's Voyage?

Infi

Apologies if the question is slightly confusing, I'll attempt to explain. I am trying to book a transatlantic on the NA, leaving April 30. As our favorite cabin was still available, I took it as a sign and finally decided to book today. Before calling my TA, I checked the HAL site and it (along with 5 other cabins in the same category) were still available. Ten minutes later, when I called my TA, he said the category was only available as a guarantee. He even called HAL to double-check and they told him the same thing. After checking online again and seeing that category was a guarantee, I called HAL myself and explained the issue and wanted to know why that cabin and all the others in that category had disappeared in the span of ten minutes. After much prodding, the HAL agent told me the cabin had been allocated to the Collector's Voyage (transatlantic & 12 day Med cruise after it) and could only be sold as part of that package.

With that said, does anyone have any experience or luck with trying to get HAL to release a cabin for part of a Collector's Voyage? Time is running short for selling even this transatlantic sailing, and I can't imagine HAL will have much luck selling both the transatlantic and another cruise after it at this late date. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Apologies if the question is slightly confusing, I'll attempt to explain. I am trying to book a transatlantic on the NA, leaving April 30. As our favorite cabin was still available, I took it as a sign and finally decided to book today. Before calling my TA, I checked the HAL site and it (along with 5 other cabins in the same category) were still available. Ten minutes later, when I called my TA, he said the category was only available as a guarantee. He even called HAL to double-check and they told him the same thing. After checking online again and seeing that category was a guarantee, I called HAL myself and explained the issue and wanted to know why that cabin and all the others in that category had disappeared in the span of ten minutes. After much prodding, the HAL agent told me the cabin had been allocated to the Collector's Voyage (transatlantic & 12 day Med cruise after it) and could only be sold as part of that package.

With that said, does anyone have any experience or luck with trying to get HAL to release a cabin for part of a Collector's Voyage? Time is running short for selling even this transatlantic sailing, and I can't imagine HAL will have much luck selling both the transatlantic and another cruise after it at this late date. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate hearing it.

I've sent you an e-mail on the matter. :)

HAL likes to allocate certain cabins to collectors and some to the other segments. It doesn't mean that's the cabin you want. I think a good TA should be able to pull that out of inventory (mine has) and let you get the one you want.

I am NOT a TA - I'm just a fellow cruiser that has asked.

Good luck - I hope you get your cabin. With all the guarantees I've seen being booked I would think HAL would be happy to see someone who is willing to put money down for a specific cabin.:D

HAL likes to allocate certain cabins to collectors and some to the other segments. It doesn't mean that's the cabin you want. I think a good TA should be able to pull that out of inventory (mine has) and let you get the one you want.

I am NOT a TA - I'm just a fellow cruiser that has asked.

Good luck - I hope you get your cabin. With all the guarantees I've seen being booked I would think HAL would be happy to see someone who is willing to put money down for a specific cabin.:D

Thanks, Kazu. I tried calling HAL again last night after they sent a slew of confusing emails with booking and confirmation numbers (despite the fact I hadn't actually booked anything). Tried to convince some higher ups to give up the cabin, but they wouldn't budge either. :( I guess HAL would rather lose a sure thing sale and keep the cabin for the Collector's, unfortunately.

Going to try my TA soon and see if he can help, but I'm not too optimistic.

They likely could hold the cabin for Collectors for a given length of time. If the ship is selling well, they'll leave it that way. If sales for that sailing are slow, they may be more amenable to releasing the cabin for a single segment booking.

Good luck.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks, Kazu. I tried calling HAL again last night after they sent a slew of confusing emails with booking and confirmation numbers (despite the fact I hadn't actually booked anything). Tried to convince some higher ups to give up the cabin, but they wouldn't budge either. :( I guess HAL would rather lose a sure thing sale and keep the cabin for the Collector's, unfortunately.

Going to try my TA soon and see if he can help, but I'm not too optimistic.

If you're not getting anywhere - drop me an email (it's in my signature) just identify yourself - maybe I can help a bit:D

We are having the opposite problem. We are on a Collector's Voyage and find they are holding cabins for the individual legs but only doing guarantees on our voyage. We are in an SC aft on deck 4 after the TA got them to release it even though when booking it did not show up. I had to keep researching the individual legs on HAL site to find it. It is not our first choice after reading comments on CC. SB also shows as a guarantee. SA shows a few cabins but at a significant jump in price. We are hoping that some cabins become available at final pay. Am not sure why HAL needs to play these games.

This is my first experience trying to research a Holland America cruise. After reading this I checked and find it's a Collector's Voyage. Am having the same problem as Eager2Travel; category after category is showing up as a guarantee. When I check individual legs I find cabins, and even some that overlap so would be available for the duration of our longer cruise. I'm baffled at the reasoning as the chances of keeping passengers in one particular cabin for the longer periods are minimized every time a single cabin is booked for a shorter time.

Nan

This is my first experience trying to research a Holland America cruise. After reading this I checked and find it's a Collector's Voyage. Am having the same problem as Eager2Travel; category after category is showing up as a guarantee. When I check individual legs I find cabins, and even some that overlap so would be available for the duration of our longer cruise. I'm baffled at the reasoning as the chances of keeping passengers in one particular cabin for the longer periods are minimized every time a single cabin is booked for a shorter time.

Nan

If you want two segments but can't book as a Collectors, book as b-to-b. They very often convert the booking to a Collectors and provide the benefits.

If the reverse is you only want one segment, it's a challenge.

You would find out here. :)

The benefits are minimal.

Sometimes there is a small extra discount.

It varies hugely ship to ship, cruise to cruise, but on our Collectors we have experienced no extras at all on the ship, we have had complimentary dinner at Tamarind or Pinnacle, cocktail party, Indonesian Lunch ..... any combination of the above or nothing. :) There is no knowing in advance.

On all Collectors, you should recevie a higher quality tote. The give Collectors guests a Mariner tote which is larger and sturdier than the one all guests get on every cruise. I like those totes and have enjoyed using them even at home.

Appreciate the reply Sail7Seas. I am looking at two 11 day segments and priced it as a B to B when I saw that as a way to secure the same cabin for both legs. Surprised, actually, that it cost over $1000 more pp than booking as one 22 day so this is not an option I'd take. I'm still missing the point of holding back all these cabins for the longer durations.

Nan

I think it is something that cruise lines do. I had the same issue with my Oct 2014 cruise on the Ocean Princess. We took the 11 + 7 and although the room we wanted was available separately we could not get it as a room on the combined voyage.

Side note - re some collectors on HAL - separately you can get early or late dining if booked as separate cruises but on the collectors they become wait listed?!? Another quirky thing about Collectors I suppose.

Debbie :confused:

Archived