paying for upgrade

hi all,

We are going on our second cruise on liberty of the seas in just over a fortnight. We booked in January when there were only inside cabins available we payed approx €580 per adult for this room, happy with location but having had one on our last cruise we did want a balcony room if it was available and not too expensive,but there were none available at the time of booking. I have discovered that there are some /balcony cabins available now for €1101 per adult - if we wanted to upgrade now would we have to pay the balance between 580 and 1101 which is 521 per adult? this would amount to €1040 in total? Or would there be some kind of special deal?

I have just upgraded my cabin in the last few days and I chose which cabin I wanted, worked out the extra, contacted the TA and she secured it for me and I paid over the phone straight away as it is only six weeks until our cruise. I had enquired last November and the price this time was cheaper now than what was quoted back them so obviously there had been a slight reduction in the overall price.

Thanks for the replies - will i have to pay the difference then €1040. Would be willing to pay something alright but dont think id pay that for an upgrade as its only 5 nights - that would buy a lot of onboard credit!

What about an oceanview with porthole???

Week before last, we could've gotten the view for nothing as we pd $599 for our Mariner interior and the last 2 weeks, they had the oceanview on for $399 pp:eek: = free upgrade!

Thanks for the replies - will i have to pay the difference then €1040. Would be willing to pay something alright but dont think id pay that for an upgrade as its only 5 nights - that would buy a lot of onboard credit!

Well, of course you would have to pay the difference between what you've already paid and what the balcony costs now. The only time you might be able to pay less would be if a balcony is still available when you actually board the ship, but this is highly unlikely.

The cost of an ocean view and a balcony are almost the same now. Interiors are sold out, this was the reason I thought it might not cost the full difference between what a balcony now costs and what we paid. I used to work on a hotel reception years ago when in college and we when the hotel got full we would offer those in standard rooms a cheaper upgrade as we had more chance of selling the standard rooms last minute. Is it worth over 1000€ to upgrade to a balcony cabin for five nights?

If I understand correctly, you're thinking that because there are no inside cabins available now, that your inside cabin is worth "x" amount (even though you paid less) so you'll only have to pay the difference between the balcony price now and this theoretical "x" amount?

Unfortunately doesn't work that way.

You've invested your cruise price already, then if you want to upgrade, you'll have to pay the difference. Unless of course you haven't made final payment yet. If your original price dropped for your cabin, then you'll get a price correction. But that is only if another cabin in your category is available at that reduced price. If they're all sold out in your cabin, then there is no reduced rate for them to offer you.

Yes, I guess what i,m wondering is would the difference I have to pay be only between what was the last price for my cabin type before sold out which was approx 700 pp or what I paid.

I think u answered my question though-was wishful

thinking on my part that the upgrade price wouldn't be so expensive.

Based on your wording (fortnight) and the fact you are quoting prices in a foreign currency, you would need to contact your TA. Many European cruisers have found that they cannot upgrade at the end without paying a change fee in addition to the difference between fares. Not sure what conditions would apply to your change.

Archived