Jet Ski Tours for Beginners?

seabird1122

Hi,

I'll be on the Norwegian Breakaway to Bermuda 6/09. Neither myself or my 20 something son and daughter have never been on a Jet Ski before, but it's something we would like to try.

My question is, has anyone done one of the Jet Ski Tours as a novice? All the descriptions of the different rental places say they are appropriate for beginners, but is that really true? Hate to lay out $400 plus and find out we can't handle it, or are totally embarrassed :p

Plus any good/bad reviews for any of the rental companies? I've read good things about Somerset Bridge Watersports.

Thanks.

We used Sea Venture watersports, they are based by the Waterlot Inn (part of Southampton Princess hotel). We were all first timers and had a brilliant time. The guide was really good at judging how confident everyone was (and therefore how fast to go etc). We went under the smallest drawbridge, round to a shipwreck and fed fish there.

I can't recommend it enough - was so much fun.

I would say it's easy to arrange yourself rather than an excursion (probably a lot cheaper too).

We took the jet ski tour with Somerset Bridge Watersports which is in Somerset Villaga a short bus or taxi from the Dockyard and they would be an excellent choice. Very safety-conscious and provide one-on-one instructions before and during the tour. I believe they also pay for your taxi one-way.

I'm sure all operators are very good, including H2O Watersports out of Cambridge Beaches. We rented a boat from H2O and didn't take their jet ski tour but they are also excellent.

Can't recommend SB Watersports enough though!

We took the jet ski tour with Somerset Bridge Watersports which is in Somerset Villaga a short bus or taxi from the Dockyard and they would be an excellent choice. Very safety-conscious and provide one-on-one instructions before and during the tour. I believe they also pay for your taxi one-way.

I'm sure all operators are very good, including H2O Watersports out of Cambridge Beaches. We rented a boat from H2O and didn't take their jet ski tour but they are also excellent.

So great to hear!

I booked Somerset for my family of 4 for July for jet skis. Can't wait. For both my ds and me it will be our first time.

Thank you for posting your mini review :)

We used Sea Venture watersports, they are based by the Waterlot Inn (part of Southampton Princess hotel). We were all first timers and had a brilliant time. The guide was really good at judging how confident everyone was (and therefore how fast to go etc). We went under the smallest drawbridge, round to a shipwreck and fed fish there.

I can't recommend it enough - was so much fun.

I would say it's easy to arrange yourself rather than an excursion (probably a lot cheaper too).

Thank you so much for your responses.......Sounds like a great time!

We als went under the Somerset Bridge and fed the fish at the Vixen wreck and toured all of the West End. Really is a great way to experience Bermuda as the coast is beautiful with many gorgeous properties. The only tour we found to be even better was renting a Boston whaler from either SBW or H2O, take a look at next time you visit! ;)

Just a warning with all the tour places you will be moving pretty fast. You'll find long stretches of 50+ MPH. Its not for the faint of heart and you must keep up with the group. My wife and I are seasoned riders, in our group of 6 couples, two couple dropped out after 5 minutes. They did not realize you went so fast. You need to to cover the ground in the time allotted. They did not get a refund

All of the operators we've used in 4 destinations including Bermuda do allow those more experienced to go as fast as they want. But the good operators will instruct everyone how to meet as a group at the end of each segment, and those that go faster can play longer as the others catch the group. So with a good operator even novices can have a fun day and not feel like they're holding up the group. Some locations also allow you to take the jet skis out on your own as long as you stay in a certain area.

Having said that, some people are just not cut out to be on jet skis or any other type of motorized equipment and will not enjoy this type of activity because they will continually fall behind as laszlo said. So if you're not too terrified of faster speeds you'll be fine. And I can tell you that the initial fear of speed on these is replaced quickly by the exhiliration of the experience. You feel safer when going fast than when going slow because the skis are hard to maneuver when going slower.

In our case it was the afternoon of the third day. I don't think the guide wanted to take a chance with waiting around for someone who might have trouble. We got back to the dock at 4:15 and on the ship at 4:30 with a 5:00pm departure

Yes that is really pushing it! Not a great option for a beginner for sure and that last tour should be limited to experienced ppl only probably......

We figured worse comes to worse we could catch up to the cruise ship on the skis:D

LOL! :p

Very funny!;)

We did buzz the ships on both the skis and a Boston whaler, neat sitting in a boat on the ocean side of the ships and enjoying cold drinks while saying hi to our friends! We were staying on the island and they were cruising...

Just what I was looking for ... thank you! We always go looking for that one special activity that will end up being described as the "highlight of the trip" ... and when we go back and review each highlight from each cruise, it's amazing how many times they turn out to be a fast boating experience.

Sounds like we'll be heading for Somerset Bridge. Does anyone know if they are on one of the bus routes?

And the Boston whaler will get you around pretty quickly but it's not a fast boating experience. More like a nice leisurely tour of the coast and islands. But you can go wherever you want (except the south shore because of the reefs) and it was one of the highlights of our stay on Burmuda. We would highly recommend spending at least a few hours and add another if you plan to stop for a lunch.

Thank you ... is that bus #7? ... which I think is the one that's mentioned for Horseshoe Bay

The bus routes #7 & #8 both pass by Somerset Bridge Watersport; but further on the routes diverge with the #7 going by the South Shore beaches (such as Horseshoe Bay) and the #8, not.

SBtS

FYI

Most of the jetski tour companies run the same route. The do a big loop. Their is a company, Fantasea...... they are right where the ship docks. Their is also H20 Water Sports at the Cambridge Resorts and Spa. Thats a 5-7 min taxi ride from the docks. Somerset is further to the south and they will pay for your taxi

http://www.resqwest.com/Fantasea/Admin/fantasea_web.asp?AC=3046

http://maps.google.com/?ll=32.326696,-64.832629&spn=0.001364,0.002097&t=h&z=19&iwloc=lyrftr:h,10404569987895465263,32.326597,-64.832597

Have fun whatever you pick

Actually you have flexibility in the itinerary but there are certain spots that you will want to see. They will take a route that avoids other groups to make it a more fun experience.

H2O/Cambridge Beaches is in Mangrove Bay by Somerset Village and closer to the West End as stated, and Somerset Bridge Watersports is further up. SBWS will pay your taxi one-way only, H2O will also do that if you ask but most ppl take the bus.

Both of these outfits are top-notch, we used SBWS for the jet skis and H2O for the boat rental. The beauty of using these operators is they are located between the Somerset and Watford bridges and you are able to see the beauty of both coasts and more.

Archived