price adjustments?

I hesitantly booked our cruise today...I'm used to booking during sales. We booked a family ocean view (cabin for 5) and paid around $5400 (they only had 4 of these cabins left and it's spring break week).

Are most of their sales for new bookings only? How often will they let you re-adjust the price. On Norwegian I cancelled a booking and rebooked to get the lower price....I'm not sure why Royal Carribean won't allow this. Penalize the people who plan ahead....I don't understand that. On Carnival I have taken advantage of price drops also. Our travel agent said that he doesn't often see price adjustments on royal carribean cruises. what's your experience?

On my last trip on the Indy there were two drops for the inside cabins I had. First one was about 100 pp and the second was almost 150pp so by the time final payment came along I had saved 500 off my total reservations. Both times I called and they made the adjustment immediately and with no problem. It's only after final that they usually won't accept price adjustments, although I have heard of a few loyal royals d+ and pinnacle, getting them to do it.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I recently saved $600 off my cruise to Alaska (RCI) due to a Calif resident being offered a few months before final payment was due.

Perhaps your TA doesn't usually see price adjustments often because he/she isn't looking as hard if at all as most of us do..It's up to you usually to catch them..Good luck and keep vigil.

I hesitantly booked our cruise today...I'm used to booking during sales. We booked a family ocean view (cabin for 5) and paid around $5400 (they only had 4 of these cabins left and it's spring break week).

Are most of their sales for new bookings only? How often will they let you re-adjust the price. On Norwegian I cancelled a booking and rebooked to get the lower price....I'm not sure why Royal Carribean won't allow this. Penalize the people who plan ahead....I don't understand that. On Carnival I have taken advantage of price drops also. Our travel agent said that he doesn't often see price adjustments on royal carribean cruises. what's your experience?

I'm in Australia so I don't know if it's different here but my on-line travel agent said I'd have to cancel and re-book which can have penalties, like I would have to pay a new deposit whilst I wait for my origional deposit to be refunded which can take 6- 8 weeks and that Royal Carriebean only allow price changes on some bookings.

How true is this information, I don't know but maybe I should book directly through Royal next time.:confused:

One thing I learned with my cruise last year is that the rate on the FOV does not drop while rates on other cabins may. I think it's just because there are so few of them. And since the cabin category can only be booked through a TA or RCI directly, you can never be sure.

Good luck, though.

My mistake - I learned the very hard way that prices will not be adjusted after final payment is due . Price dropped for our cabin over $700 the day after final payment was due (upcoming cruise)............no adjustment, no OBC and as the higher level suite didn't come down in price we are still in the same suite. Darn darn darn. Of course if I cancel the original booking I will have a 25% penalty. Maybe the upgrade fairy will come along. Lesson learned - always check prices before FINAL PAYMENT then Do not look again to see if prices come down. :(

My mistake - I learned the very hard way that prices will not be adjusted after final payment is due . Price dropped for our cabin over $700 the day after final payment was due (upcoming cruise)............no adjustment, no OBC and as the higher level suite didn't come down in price we are still in the same suite. Darn darn darn. Of course if I cancel the original booking I will have a 25% penalty. Maybe the upgrade fairy will come along. Lesson learned - always check prices before FINAL PAYMENT then Do not look again to see if prices come down. :(

I think it's rude when they decrease prices the very next day after final. They should wait a week!

Usually you lose your deposit amount in the first weeks after final, then 50%, then 75% etc. One time there was a huge price drop after final on our Bermuda 5 night. I cancelled, paid $500 for 5 people penalty, and I still saved about $600 by rebooking. I put a triple on hold just in case they lost my original cabin in the scramble since there were very few left. And yes, they did threaten me that I might totally lose that cabin :rolleyes:

you can get the new lower price pretty much all the time as long as it's before final payment.

No clue why you cancelled and rebooked your NCL cruise. All you have to do is ask for the new rate.

Don't pay the remainder of the balance until its due, as there are no price adjustments after final payment.

Sorry and an FYI...That is incorrect..it's the date your final is "due" not the "date" you may decide to make your final payment earlier than required...This misunderstanding has been discussed often.

You guys are so right...those family oceanviews are tough....it's tough in the travel world with a family of 5. I usually wait until there is a sale, but with only 4 cabins left and it being spring break..I didn't want to take the chance. Oh well...I will just keep calling Royal carribean everytime there is a sale...what a pain.

For those of you that mentioned that they dropped the price after final payment...I think that's horrible. Royal Carribean should reward those of us that plan ahead and allow them to see how their cabins are filling up...they should never penalize us for this. I don't feel this is a good practice on their part.

My Norwegian cruise was handled by my travel agent. He seemed to think that we needed to cancel and re-book...or maybe he was just telling me this. Who knows? It doesn't matter to me..I got my room and saved some $.

You guys are so right...those family oceanviews are tough....it's tough in the travel world with a family of 5. I usually wait until there is a sale, but with only 4 cabins left and it being spring break..I didn't want to take the chance. Oh well...I will just keep calling Royal carribean everytime there is a sale...what a pain.

For those of you that mentioned that they dropped the price after final payment...I think that's horrible. Royal Carribean should reward those of us that plan ahead and allow them to see how their cabins are filling up...they should never penalize us for this. I don't feel this is a good practice on their part.

My Norwegian cruise was handled by my travel agent. He seemed to think that we needed to cancel and re-book...or maybe he was just telling me this. Who knows? It doesn't matter to me..I got my room and saved some $.

This is what I'd like to know too. My travel agent is saying it would have to be cancelled and re-booked. Is it only if you book directly thru Royal that they do price adjustment???:)

This is what I'd like to know too. My travel agent is saying it would have to be cancelled and re-booked. Is it only if you book directly thru Royal that they do price adjustment???:)

If you book direct with RCI on board/over the phone in Australia/NZ they have a different policy for us Aussies/NZ - its nothing like the American's or Canada's get :eek:

Quote from Aussie RCI "Australian and NZ'ers are NOT under a price protection policy so they don't get ANY drop the price"!

"The price is the price".

Good Luck if you get it.

Yes, you can cancel and rebook for the new price but it may cost you.

You might be able to get USA travel agent to offer the same conditions as our fellow USA & Canada travellers have.

Slowly but surely any off the conditions/rewards that are offered overseas and being reinvented for AUS & NZ - so we have different rules/conditons, it's all in the fine print :p

I have found out the hard way - asking to many hard questions - and a new policy being implemented because of it :o

I must say I have spoken to RCI and am reasonably happy with outcome, but it wasn't the most pleasant experience trying to fight for something, others get - get it approved and then the new policy was put in place. So now NO one gets it.

So please be careful just because our fellow travellers get things - you maybe disappointed. I still feel a bit raw about the whole experience.

I just Love cruising, and RCI is a favourite and I'm trying to be loyal. ;)

SORRY

V:)

If you book direct with RCI on board/over the phone in Australia/NZ they have a different policy for us Aussies/NZ - its nothing like the American's or Canada's get :eek:

Quote from Aussie RCI "Australian and NZ'ers are NOT under a price protection policy so they don't get ANY drop the price"!

Good Luck if you get it.

You might be able to get USA travel agent to offer the same conditions as our fellow USA & Canada travellers have.

Slowly but surely any off the conditions/rewards that are offered overseas and being reinvented for AUS & NZ - so we have different rules/conditons, it's all in the fine print :p

I have found out the hard way - asking to many hard questions - and a new policy being implemented because of it :o

I must say I have spoken to RCI and am reasonably happy with outcome, but it wasn't the most pleasant experience trying to fight for something, others get - get it approved and then the new policy was put in place. So now NO one gets it.

So please be careful just because our fellow travellers get things - you maybe disappointed. I still feel a bit raw about the whole experience.

SORRY

Yes this is accurate for Australia because we have different consumer protections. You might choose, as I do, to book through a US travel agent. You then lose the protections, but gain price drops and (usually) OBC

I have heard through multiple agents that if Royal Carribean has a sale for new bookings and you cancel your existing reservation then Royal Carribean will take note of your information and not allow you to re-book. Let me correct myself they will allow you to re-book but you won't be able to take advantage of the sale. It's just bad practice on their part. In this category I feel Carnival is very fair. They don't hide their prices and it is what it is. If the price drops they give you onboard credit. Carnival may be doing alot of things wrong..but they are doing some tings right!

I have heard through multiple agents that if Royal Carribean has a sale for new bookings and you cancel your existing reservation then Royal Carribean will take note of your information and not allow you to re-book.

Yep. It is always in the fine print when they have one of their "WOW" sales that it is for new bookings only and that you won't be eligible to book under the sale if you cancel an existing booking and try to rebook the same cruise.

Good Luck if you get it.

SORRY

Thanks for making that clear for me. :)

Yes this is accurate for Australia because we have different consumer protections. You might choose, as I do, to book through a US travel agent. You then lose the protections, but gain price drops and (usually) OBC

It's a pity we can't give names of travel agents because I'd love to know yours!

I have used US Travel agents 3x and been very happy. Our June cruise dropped $150pp in the final week before final payment and I was able to have my US Travel agent apply the price drop. There are 4 of us so it was a lot of money. Also the penalty period for cancellation without penalty is 1/2 the time in the US that it is in Australia. :eek:

Archived