New to Azamara, not to cruising

mikechass

Hi there.

I have come to love and require insight by the experts I see daily on this CC site.

I am looking at booking a "Group Cruise" for the Quest in Jan 2014.

We have NEVER booked a Azamara cruise.

I am a little nervous about committing to this.

I wondered if you could PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me the differences I will see from Celebrity and how you would want this to be explained if you were telling people WHAT make this cruise line the BEST.

The deal they have right now is helping to make my mind up.

But we aren't used to smaller ships, with such long stops and so few passengers.

We love shows, we love great food, we love the beach, we love to sit by the pool and read and relax.

Although we have done Oasis and are going on Allure, we have also done Celebrity, NCL, Princess and one on Carnival.

This is our 10th cruise.

We love it, but like to try different lines and we always try to go somewhere new.

We have done Cozumel, and Ensenada in Mexico, only on cruise stops.

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise...

Chass

It's been a couple of years since we did a Celebrity cruise, but we discovered Az last year and are completely hooked. So you have to realise that you have a maximum of 694 passengers, usually quite a lot less, they are small ships, and they are not new and flashy however are very well maintained.. But they have a crew that care, and go out of their way to look after you. And smile (with their eyes as well) and say 'welcome back'. They really really do remember you. You have Officers that you see every day, and stop to talk to you, they will even join you for a meal. Mentioning food, we feel that it is consistently of a higher standard than Celebrity everywhere you go to eat. It's fair to say that the cabins are smaller unless you have a suite, however they are far better designed than the Aqua Class varandah we had on Eclipse. Additionally as it's a smaller ship, it can go to places bigger ships can't, and you don't have lines to get on and off. OK, shows are on a smaller scale but are just as professional.

Others will answer you I have no doubt, and you can make up your own mind but Azamara is a very special experience.

We suggest you try it

Peter & Linda

WONDERFUL!!! Thanks so much.

My TA was saying that the ships were recently upgraded.

I am excited about the chance to try another cruise line.

I am looking forward to hearing from others too.

Thanks again

Chass

I remember my first Azamara cruise in September 2011 and I was persuaded to do a trip on Journey because friends were going and they tempted me to try. I have to say I was dubious as to whether I would like Azamara. My main concern was the ship itself. The size overall and particularly the smaller standard cabin compared to Celebrity. I thought it would be like a smaller version of Celebrity without the varied venues and smart ships like Solstice, Eclipse et al.

I have to say now I am so glad I went. I found the smaller ship a novelty at first. Walking on and being able to easily see the other side of the ship! Yes, the V2 cabin was small, but perfectly appointed and I actually found more drawer space than in one of the standard S-Class cabins. Bathroom not as good though and the balcony quite a bit smaller (not so deep). The ship lacks the wow factor of Celebrity's newest ship class, but comfortable and welcoming nonetheless.

However it was the service and atmosphere on the ship that just blew me away. No need to get yourself an iced tea (or my favourite Arnold Palmer) when sitting outside at the back of the ship. Always brought to you by the waiter/waitress. Food I found quite a step up in the MDR compared to Celebrity.

If you are looking for a modern ship with all the bells and whistles and lots to do you may be disappointed with Azamara. If you enjoy being on a ship that feels like ship rather than a floating resort where the officers are incredibly visible and like the rest of the crew very friendly then give Azamara a go.

Phil

I have the same issue really.... it's a choice between the Celebrity Reflection for next June/July or the Azamara Quest.

I loved the Galaxy when I sailed on her and loved the itinerary and can do the same itinerary on a near enough brand new ship which I would have no problem with but I like what I am hearing about Azamara and trying a small ship experience, particularly as this will be a honeymoon cruise, albeit we are in our 40's! :)

For me, it comes down to the fact that the small ships can go places the big ones cannot...we have been on ships with larger staterooms, but that doesn't compensate for the 1-1.5 hrs. often lost in travel time to get to sites in places like Ho Chi Minh City and Bangkok. Add to that the overnights in said cities (and many others) so that it's possible to have a more in-depth experience, and there is no competition. I would actually LIKE to try the competition, but so far they're not succeeding in drawing me in with their itineraries. We are taking land trips for 2013 and 2014, then can't wait to get back to Azamara.

I have the same issue really.... it's a choice between the Celebrity Reflection for next June/July or the Azamara Quest.

I loved the Galaxy when I sailed on her and loved the itinerary and can do the same itinerary on a near enough brand new ship which I would have no problem with but I like what I am hearing about Azamara and trying a small ship experience, particularly as this will be a honeymoon cruise, albeit we are in our 40's! :)

Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage.

I am sure you will have a great cruise whichever ship you select.

Have sailed Celebrity and Azamara numerous times and enjoy both. However when sailing Azamara it feels like coming home. The crew who are the happiest bunch at sea remember you. Nothing is too much trouble for them and senior officers are helpful and accessible if there any minor issues.

We sail on Quest next week and all of our stunning ports offer us late departures or an overnight stay so we can fully enjoy the location.

If you try Azamara you may be hooked for life.

And if you have any specific questions someone on here will have the answer and be happy to help you.

We sail on both Celebrity and Azamara like other posters. Our decision at each time of booking is based on locations being visited. We have complex availability issues from our work demands, if we did not have these, so long as the budget stacks up,it is Azamara that is our first choice.

Wow factor shiny look bells and whistles are only surface items for us, what matters in our preferences is good food, great company and wonderful service. We get all of that and more on Azamara. Celebrity is good but they are inconsistent and are a mass market line, so you have to be prepared, it might be wonderful, it might not.

On Celebrity, we will only go Aqua, the Main dining room has declined to a point it is rushed and average. If we are on Celebrity, we feel we have to pay more for our dining experience and also have some variety through speciality restaurants which is an additional charge.

The main dining room on Azamara is wonderful, and many do not feel the need to pay extra to go to the Azamara specialities, though they are very good.

If you are comparing prices, remember on Azamara there are no gratuities to pay (unless you want to give extra), port shuttles, all soft drinks, house wines (very good not cheap plonk), special coffees and a large list of other drinks are included in your fare. These really add up on a Celebrity cruise so whilst you might see quite a big price gap between the two, it does narrow a lot once you compare like with like.

Once we are free of our date constraints, we hope it will be Azamara all the way, if our budgets get tight, we would rather go down to no balcony (or maybe even in our pension years into an inside room) rather than have the larger shiny ship on an identical itinerary

It would be Aqua Class if we picked the Reflection in any case but the cruise actually works out more expensive even though it is a longer duration at 10 days as opposed to the 7 day cruise on the Quest in a balcony cabin and of course the included tips and more inclusive drinks plus longer port stays are very attractive.

I'm addicted to cruising in any case as is my fiance now lol!:)

The Quest visits the best of the Greek Isles and I am a Greek island addict too!

The balance is very much swinging to Azamara! :)

Hi We are also past avid Celebrity cruisers. but we tried Azamara for the first time in March, before we went we also booked to go again on Azamara to Asia in November and boy are we glad we decided to go with Azamara.

We loved our cruise on the Quest, we loved bumping into people that we had met or chatted to before, we loved being able to just decide at the last minute where when and with who we would have dinner with.

We thought the staff were all great, we didn't particularly think that there was a huge difference with waiters etc than we had experienced on Celebrity, but certainly the officers, CD etc were much more visible. That said if you asked for anything nothing was too much trouble.

Yes the standard balconies are smaller than the solstice class balconies, but the loungers by the pool etc are fabulous.

We loved the size of the cabaret lounge and the DJ was one of the best we have had on a cruise, just hope the DJ on the Journey is as good.

Also being able to dock more centrally was also a major bonus and we enjoyed the Amazing evening and fireworks in Gibralter.

I'm sure you wont regret going with Azamara, but whatever you decide enjoy.

Well you guys sure know how to sell a cruise!!

Love it!!!

Thanks so much

Congrats to you both kikki21..

We are in our mid 30's and are celebrating our 20th anniversary next week (13 married, 20th dating) I always tell people if I knew the love I would have for my hubby NOW I couldn't have believed it. I always thought I wouldn't love him more then the day we got married, who knew it would be the beginning level!

Congrats and Enjoy the journey!!!

Thanks everyone

We are going to pay a deposit tomorrow and hope that the rest of our group loves the idea of this line as much as we do.

Thanks again...

As always, this site gets me the BEST most HELPFUL people in the cruising world!!!

Well you guys sure know how to sell a cruise!!

Love it!!!

Thanks so much

Congrats to you both kikki21..

We are in our mid 30's and are celebrating our 20th anniversary next week (13 married, 20th dating) I always tell people if I knew the love I would have for my hubby NOW I couldn't have believed it. I always thought I wouldn't love him more then the day we got married, who knew it would be the beginning level!

Congrats and Enjoy the journey!!!

Thanks everyone

We are going to pay a deposit tomorrow and hope that the rest of our group loves the idea of this line as much as we do.

Thanks again...

As always, this site gets me the BEST most HELPFUL people in the cruising world!!!

Thank you! :)

I am ringing up today to enquire about it so here's hoping I get a good price!

Thanks for the thread OP!

We are Celebrity addicts too but the recent changes they have initiated have us looking at other lines which is why I'm here.

The consistency of your comments especially the fact that you ALL started with X tells me you will give me reliable answers to my question...which is...

How are the smaller ships in terms of addressing stability as it relates to seasickness? The larger Solstice class ships have been decent even if others don't think so. We've had no issues even when others have.

The lack of stabilizers on the smaller ships has me concerned.

Wasted mental energy on my part?

We recently returned from our first Azamara cruise (Azamara Quest) and the line is now high on my list of favorites. We have cruised most of the major cruise lines and found things that we liked about most of them. Our favorite line is, and remains, Royal Caribbean, but we have already booked a return on Azamara because we enjoyed the experience so much. I was very much reminded of our first cruises in the 80s when ships the size of the Quest and Journey were pretty much what was available. In fact many things about the Quest reminded me of our first cruises on Song of Norway and Nordic Prince which, though slightly smaller and carrying more passengers, had a friendly feel. The main showroom on Quest is very reminiscent of the showroom on those two RCI ships.

For myself and my wife, Quest was perfect for a relaxed cruise with a wonderfully specially itinerary (French Riviera). When we sail with a group of friends or with our kids and grandkids, we would choose one of RCI's largest ships, but when we are by ourselves, Azamara could not be a better choice. Food and service were superior to anything we have experienced on other lines and frankly the specialty restaurant on the Quest far exceeded anything we have experienced on either RCI or Celebrity (the service on which I found irritatingly affected.:)

For personal reasons, we cannot book until 30-45 days before sailing date. Does Azamara reduce prices after final payment date in order to fill unsold cabins?

We are looking at Fall and Winter 2013-2014 cruises on Azamara.

Archived