39 too old to surf on the Flow Rider on Freedom of The Seas?

39 too old? Are you kidding? I'm 67 and if we ever go on a ship with the flo-rider I'm trying it!

Seriously, it depends a lot on your general health, self-confidence, comfort with water activities and an adventurous spirit as well as willingness to look silly.

I always do the water slides where ever we are and body surf or boogie board in the ocean if their are any waves. As long as I'm able, I'm doing it!

I just booked B2B on Freedom of the Seas in December and I'm a little worried I'm too old to try the Flow Rider.:o

No!! On Oasis last spring, there was a gentleman who was way up there, but in great shape and was doing the flowrider and zipline! Made all of us in our lowly 40's feel like we were teenagers compared to him!! LOL :D

I did it a few weeks ago, both standup and boogie board and I'm 45.

I did have a private lesson so there were only a few people to watch so less pressure. And it took 3 tries.

Seriously? You are young! Enjoy yourself and all the ships have to offer!

Here is a video clip of me - an overweight mid 50's woman enjoying all the Oasis has to offer!!

I was very proud of the six seconds I managed to stand on the stand up Flow Rider! Please note the cheering from the crowd of teenaged boys who were standing in line! Have fun!!

Completely Awesome! You did it all!! And looked great doing it!!

OP - Are you equating the Flow Rider with the rides at a water park where most of the "users" are young? Here's the deal - just go for it! One thing I learned about cruising is that hardly anyone cares what you do (unless you wear jeans to the MDR) so have fun if you decide you want a little adventure.

Agree, my 50 something husband has done both the boogie board and stand up flowriders on all our cruises where it has been available and he is definitely not the oldest we saw.
My 68 yr old DH also has done both with all the kids standing round yelling "go Grandpa" - it was his finest hour.

I think physical condition has much more to do with it than age. My brother-in-law at 42 is the most physically fit person I know. He could kick just about anybody's behind without even trying hard. In our coastal area, there are countless surfers of all ages, including well into the 60s. My mother's best friend just turned 92 and she is a force of nature. She does aqua aerobics four days a week; she takes walks every day; she travels; she volunteers. It's positively irritating, when I'm not thinking, "I want to be just like her when I grow up." OTOH, I know many 20-somethings who are pretty darn out of shape and not good candidates for any challenging activity, much less something like the Flowrider, IMO.

Words of advice I've read over and over: Wear a suit that has virtually no chance of being scraped or washed off; when (not if) you fall, don't fight it, but go down like a skier/skater (hit the big soft parts if you can); don't get discouraged if your first few tries are less than great; have fun!

beachchick

Good gravy, you're just a pup :) Go for it. We recently got back from the IOS (Raptor's DW, E here) and every morning at 8 am we were at the Flowrider. There were about 6 of us out there everymorning for advanced stand up and it was AWESOME. Had a great time.

This was me on the last day of the cruise, last ride. We take our own boards when we cruise. Oh, and I am 51 :D

901061_10151515547216162_760252639_o.jpg

I did it at age 71 and lasted longer than most of the others. when I finally fell off, I got a round of applause and high 5 from the staff. I didn't stand though. The secret is to keep pushing down on the front of the board. I was raised on a lake and did every kind of water thing available back then. The flow rider was lots of fun, and the line was never very long and moved quite fast. Go for it. The hardest part is letting yourself fall into the water.

My husband lives for the flowrider, he's 56. He had no prior experience with surfing, snow boarding, or skiing. He has great balance.

You are young, have fun and try it when it's not super busy so you can get a lot of time on it, that's really the only way to get better.

Archived