8pm sail away...questions

misssea

We are cruising from Seward to Vancouver. We will be boarding at 5 and sailing away at 8pm. Someone on here told me that I could still go to dinner in the MDR that night. What happens if we have early seating? Also, how do we go to muster drill if we are supposed to be eating?

We are cruising from Seward to Vancouver. We will be boarding at 5 and sailing away at 8pm. Someone on here told me that I could still go to dinner in the MDR that night. What happens if we have early seating? Also, how do we go to muster drill if we are supposed to be eating?

The muster drill will not be happening during dinner service. AFAIK, everything closes down during the drill.

For us no problem eating; they made sure we got our chance and muster drill was next day.

Was that before or after Costa tragedy?

There seems to be insistence life boat drill is done prior to sailing on the ships since that event.

OP ....I'm sure it will be fully outlined in the daily program you will find on the counter when you arrive at your cabin. Look to see when they will be serving dinner in MDR. I suspect it is possible it may all be open seating that night. Come to the MDR and be seated at next available table. They likely will also have a barbeque on deck.

On our cruise last June boarding started at 11:30 am. There were quite a few of us on a connecting cruise tour who didn't arrive until after our Kenai Fjords tour (about 6:00). The dinner seatings for that day (according to the Explorer) were 5:45 & 8:00. Open dining was 5:15-9:00. The Passenger Safety Briefing (as it was called in the Explorer) was at 7:30 pm.

We wound up going to the Lido, they had a BBQ dinner from 5-8:30, since we had early seating for dinner and didn't get checked in and onboard until almost 6:30.

When we did the round trip cruises out of Vancouver and Seward was our Intransit day, we had 2 different dining experiences.

A couple of times we had "Open Seating" in the dining room the first night for everyone and lifeboat drill was at 7:15.

Another time we had fixed dining at 5:30 and lifeboat drill was at 7:30.

... and lifeboat drill was at 7:30.

Yep, we did this cruise in 2011 on Statendam and 2012 on Zaandam and both times the drill was at 7:30pm. Annoucements in regards to the drill started at 6:30 and continued about every 15-20 minutes so that people were well warned. Also, a bunch of people came on late (6ish) on the train last year and they told us that they were warned about dinner and the drill on the train. They said the guide told them to check in, drop off their stuff, go to the drill and then the dining room would be open to be seated until 9pm. We have never seen issues with this (although last year they did call people out over the loudspeaker once, but they apparently showed up).

I like the MDR experience but I may just eat at the buffet the first night and not worry about it. If salon is on the buffet, that will be awesome because we all love that! We won't have to bring our life jackets to the drill, though, right?

Archived