Embarkation Day

swixpat

Dear all

we start our cruise in Venice with an overnight in the port. Embarkation time is 3pm.

To plan the sightseeing on the embarkation day, maybe someof you on this board wouldn't mind sharing your experience?

a) When can we go on the ship earliest to leave luggage in the cabin and valuables in the cabin safe? We are in PH.

b) When do we need to be in the port latest on that day?

c) How long do we need to be on the boat before we can head out on the town again, keeping in mind that embarkation time is 3 pm but the boat does not leave until the next day. Is there a curfew in the evening?

d) And what is the story with the emergency drill? When and where does it happen, and how long does it take?

Sorry for all the detailed questions, but as a newcomer with a control streak it is difficult to reign myself in with this wealth of knowledge here at my fingertips.

Many thanks

Usually you can board earlier if in a PH you will drop your bags at check in but your carry on you keep

You may not get access to your cabin till after 1 -3pm so dropping your valuables my be a problem

You could ask at reception if they will store your valuables if you want to head ashore right away

You do not need to stay on the ship once checked in & muster drill will probably be before sailaway on day 2 ..there will be a notice in your cabin

They will also tell you what time you need to onboard in the evening I would think it would not be a problem to be out late as many want to explore Venice in the evening

Edited by LHT28

Many thanks LHT28.

Maybe we will need to think cleverly when the time comes to pack our handluggage to make the cobblestones and bridges easy on ourselves.

When we've had this situation, I try to pack a small shoulder bag with the truly valuable stuff (jewellery, camera, ID, credit cards), and then put good old-fashioned padlocks on my other normal carry-ons and/or suitcases. The chances of thievery onboard are not zero, but small, so I would rather leave my tablet and cellphone, and medications on the ship so I can travel light.

We have "snuck" down to our cabin before it is ready and left our carry on in the closet, making VERY sure the cabin attendant knows what we are doing so he/she will not remove it.

We feel things are safer there than carrying around a port, even if we cannot put valuables in the safe. (And leave the valuables such as jewelery at home!! You can still lose things even if they are not stolen.)

As far as I remember there is no curfew for the night in port and there is someone at the gangway all night. (Be sure to confirm on your cruise)

Dear all

we start our cruise in Venice with an overnight in the port. Embarkation time is 3pm.

To plan the sightseeing on the embarkation day, maybe someof you on this board wouldn't mind sharing your experience?

a) When can we go on the ship earliest to leave luggage in the cabin and valuables in the cabin safe? We are in PH.

b) When do we need to be in the port latest on that day?

c) How long do we need to be on the boat before we can head out on the town again, keeping in mind that embarkation time is 3 pm but the boat does not leave until the next day. Is there a curfew in the evening?

d) And what is the story with the emergency drill? When and where does it happen, and how long does it take?

Sorry for all the detailed questions, but as a newcomer with a control streak it is difficult to reign myself in with this wealth of knowledge here at my fingertips.

Many thanks

Are you flying into Venice on embarkation day?

If not, see if you can leave your luggage at your hotel. Some will charge a small fee to hold the luggage but most are pretty accommodating. Just arrange to go back to the hotel later to gather your bags and head over to the ship. Getting to the terminal, checking in, and getting back in to Venice can eat up over 2 hours of valuable time.

If you are flying in on embarkation day, you will want to maximize your time in Venice, my suggestion would be to use a Deposito Bagagli (left-luggage office) to store your bags until you are ready to get on the ship. This is a commercial operation that holds luggage, boxes, etc for a short period of time.

Drop off your luggage and go enjoy Venice, take a water taxi ride down the Grand Canal to get a feel for the city or book a tour to make the most of your limited time in this lovely city. I can give you the names of a couple of guides we used. Then come back to the ship and embark after the majority of passengers have already checked in....no lines, no waiting. It is not like they are going to give your room away. :) The processing time will be minimal and there is a bonus. No waiting for bags to be delivered to your room. After checking in, you will just carry your luggage with you unless you need help and drop the bags in your cabin. Freshen up and get back off the ship.

There is a left-luggage office at the Cruise Terminal. The left-luggage offices are located are located on the ground floor of Terminals 103, 117, Isonzo 1 and Isonzo 2 and are open during the days when ships are embarking and disembarking cruise passengers. It is smart to verify the times the office will be open because they are known to close for a long lunch. The cost is € 4,00 per bag. They also offer services for folks disembarking at the terminal, like transferring bags to their hotel, the train station or the airport.

If arriving by train there is an office at the train station by platform 1. Official website link you just click here. Their hours are usually 6:00am to midnight. It costs about € 5,00 for the first 5 hours with extra fees for extra time.

Another left-luggage office is at Piazzale Roma. Information can be found on their web site by clicking here. They are open from 6:00am to 9:00pm every day. The charge € 7,00 per piece of luggage for 24 hours. For longer periods of time the Piazzale Roma location is less expensive.

My suggestion is the left-luggage office at the cruise terminal but I would verify their hours of operation before hand.

PORTABAGAGLI DEL PORTO DI VENEZIA SCARL

Ph. +39 041 5334734

Fax +39 041 5334735

e-mail: info@portabagaglidelporto.it

http://www.portabagaglidelporto.it

Edited by shedevil

• 7 months later...