Girl Scouts ready to roll! Dining room dress code question

Hi all!

My Girl Scout troop is SO ready for their cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas! They have worked incredibly hard to pay for it and we are definitely ready to celebrate the end of a long, school year. I've cruised before on Disney and I know their dress codes but I was wondering what we should plan for our 3 night Bahamas cruise. We do know that 1 night is "formal" so, they'll be in dresses that evening. Can they wear nice capris and a blouse on the other nights? What ISN'T allowed?

Thanks!!

That's awesome that they raised enough money for a cruise, wow! To answer your questions, capris & a top are fine in the dining room for dinner. They frown on shorts at dinner time and given that most girls wear pretty short ones they run a high risk of being turned away. So I'd stick with capris, a skirt/skort or a sundress. Sleeveless tops are fine on girls but not guys.

I hope you all have a great time.

Really, the only thing NOT allowed would be bathing suits....and I'd avoid pool/beach type flip-flops.......regular thong sandals are fine...real shoes, in other words! And, this is only at dinner....for breakfast and lunch, shorts/flip-flops are fine! Still, no bathing suits visible!

Thank you all so much! That is kind of what I figured but I wasn't sure if it was "dresses" only for dinner. They are 14 and 15 and are really looking forward to getting a little dressed up! AND...as a little FYI for potential other GS leaders out there...We have our own dress code for this trip. No "Short" shorts allowed, no questionable slogans on shirts, no ripped clothing and no bikinis! Gotta draw the line somewhere! :D

Thanks again for all the great info. We are psyched!!!

Really, the only thing NOT allowed would be bathing suits....and I'd avoid pool/beach type flip-flops.......regular thong sandals are fine...real shoes, in other words! And, this is only at dinner....for breakfast and lunch, shorts/flip-flops are fine! Still, no bathing suits visible!

Huh? Shorts in the MDR at dinner are NEVER fine.

Huh? Shorts in the MDR at dinner are NEVER fine.

While in the past that was true, these days there is no dress code - just a "suggestion" that people are free to ignore or oblige. On my last RCI cruise it was everything goes. Even on formal night I observed dozens of people in shorts in the MDR (and some not even dressy shorts, but casual shorts with t-shirts and baseball caps). When someone asked the Captain about this during a Q&A the Captain himself (on Allure) stated that they would never turn anybody away from the dining room based on what they wore. While some still wish there was an actual bona fide dress code, in reality no dress code exists.

Thank you all so much! That is kind of what I figured but I wasn't sure if it was "dresses" only for dinner. They are 14 and 15 and are really looking forward to getting a little dressed up! AND...as a little FYI for potential other GS leaders out there...We have our own dress code for this trip. No "Short" shorts allowed, no questionable slogans on shirts, no ripped clothing and no bikinis! Gotta draw the line somewhere! :D

So refreshing to read. Kudos to your leaders. Lord Baden Powell would be proud.

I was a Guide here in Canada for 25 ys. A Jr. Leader. Tawny Owl and Brown Owl. Wonderful memories. . .

I know it's a short cruise; But, are you going to wear anything to show your

Guiding connection?

Have a wonderful time, Enchantment is a great ship.

Congratulations! Hope your ladies love their cruise...its the kind of " camping" my girls would like.

Im a lifetime member and have led a 2 troops for 13 years!

I say wear your vests/sashes with whatever slacks and top they like- who is going to throw them out;)

Seriously, nice capris or a little sundress is fine! Have a great cruise!:D

I am very glad to see you are interested in the dress code and that the girls want to dress up. I would encourage that.

Part of Girl Scouts is to teach the girls ettiquette, manners and proper attire. In general how to become young ladies. Kudos to you for leading them in the right direction.

Brings back great memories......My Girl Scout troop went on the Empress of the Seas back in the early 90's. We had a blast! We all wore our prom and dance dresses - lots of looks in the dining room. We had a very cute bus boy and we made him a tee shirt that said "we adore George" on it. Great time and it made standing outside selling cookies in january worth it!

I hope your troop has a great time!

Congratulations for such an achievement. I had a troop from brownies up through seniors and then they all went off to college! Juliette Gordon Low would be so proud. I just got back from a week on the Oasis. The dress code in the MDR varied from very dressy to nice for young people. Capris and blouses would be fine.. Hey I even wore that more than once!

Again, congrats to the girls and yourself! Enjoy your trip as it takes a lot of work to raise that kind of money!

Just a thought here.. but what about wearing their uniforms? That would be dressy enough I would think.

I was also a brownie and a girl guide. We only camped in tents.. so this would be a fantastic trip for them. Kudos to them for all their hard work!

I hope to take my troop one day, ( 20 plus girls ). And I would have the girls dress first night and last night in Uniform. They also would board and disembark in uniform. Formal night they would all want to dress up. Dinner in dining room other nights, i would ask they wear their pins.

Just a thought here.. but what about wearing their uniforms? That would be dressy enough I would think.

I was thinking the same exact thing. My son is a Boy Scout and they wear there uniforms for anything formal (Class A - as we call them).

Also, I would think it would be nice to show them off to other people around them.

As a lifelong girl scout whose troop traveled frequently-across the country and internationally. Please don't make them wear their uniform!

We wore troop shirts, and that would probably be fine, and would occasionally bring our uniforms if a ceremony was required of us (though only sashes, the troop didn't have full uniforms)- but I would have felt so out of place to be required to wear a uniform to the dining room of a cruise ship! If you do- just one night for a good group picture.

When we traveled internationally we were required to wear the full uniform on planes, I remember our kind leader let us change into pajamas after the plane took off, and just change back into the long skirts when it landed, but I'm not sure Girl Scouts even have a formal uniform anymore- most of the current catalogs just have girls in khaki pants.

WOW! You are all so great and I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support! We may board the ship wearing our vests/sashes but the girls are really looking forward to getting "dolled" up for the meals. I'm afraid that Khaki just doesn't work with pretty dresses!;)

I guess I should brag on these girls for just a sentence or 2. Most of them have been with me since 2nd and 3rd grade and are all rising Freshman/Sophomores in high school. There are truly no words I can use to express how proud I am of them! Whenever I feel depressed over a sad news story about kids, I think of these beautiful, hardworking and intelligent young ladies! I am proud and honored to be their GS leader! Thanks again for all your kind words and helpful suggestions!

Archived