Last minute cruise

bgonyeau

Can anyone help me on how to book a cuise "last minute"? I am interested in getting the best price.

Thanks

The "best" price is obtained by booking real early. The days of the "last minute, let's fill up the empty cabins before we depart " are long gone. Part in due to security issues and part due to cruise ships operating at near capacity. Good luck.

In the past couple of years, prices have actually gone up as the cruise date approaches. On my cruise this past March, prices actually went up on the average of $1000. It's best to book early and then watch as the price rises---once you're booked, your price never goes up.

Some cruise lines have something called Happy Hour prices, which are one day only sales that happen 30 days before a cruise leaves, but those Happy Hour sales are few and far between.

Also, there's no more walking up to the dock and getting on the ship at the last minute. You have to book no later than 72 hours before a cruise departs.

I hear people talk about last-minute deals all the time, or claim they give these bargains to people near the ports.

I live in Florida and don't know anyone who has gotten a last-minute deal. They sure aren't advertised to us down here!

And isn't there a certain amount of time a cruise line needs to review its pax list, with Homeland Security and all?

Darcie: You were posting at the same time I was, and you pretty much answered my question! ;)

Also, there's no more walking up to the dock and getting on the ship at the last minute. You have to book no later than 72 hours before a cruise departs.

Unless you have a relative working for the cruise line. ;)

It depends on how you define last minute. Generally price start low ans then rise until after final payment (70 days before sailing.) Then, prices can fall if there is a lot of unsold cabins. However, they will usually rise again as the ship fills up. I have gotten good "last minute deals" about a month to 6 weeks prior sailing. However you can rarely find them in high season (holdays, summer, spring vacation, etc.) Your best bet is in the fall and late April/May.

Archived