1 More Girl Scout question/extra charges!

Here I am again! The Girl Scout leader who plans on taking 9 Girl Scouts on the Enchantment of the Seas. Everyone here at Cruise Critic was so helpful about my dining room dress questions that I thought you could come to my rescue again with some more answers related to the little extra charges. I've had a few parents with questions as to what, EXACTLY, is included in the cost of the cruise, specifically related to food items. Having only sailed Disney before, I'm honestly not too sure about a few things related to RCCL. I've read a few posts mentioning attempts to "sell" bottled water at dinner, upcharges for steak/lobster, fresh orange juice at breakfast, etc. etc. Exactly how bad is this? Are you informed up front about the extra charge? As an example, I'm concerned that there may be an instance where my girls may ask for OJ in the morning and be offered fresh squeezed. Do the servers say something to the effect of: "for an additional charge, we can bring you fresh squeezed." OR....is it just something like: "Would you like fresh squeezed?". I just want to be sure that I instruct my girls about this. The troop has paid for the trip but souvenirs, and the "extras" are being paid for by the girls and their parents. I'd hate to come home and surprise the parents with a HUGE bill for things that the girls had no idea were extra! Being 14 and 15 year olds....they eat a LOT! I know about the extra charges for Ben and Jerry's, Johnny Rockets, sodas etc. I had no idea that they might encounter these extra charges in the main dining room! Also, does the soda card cover sodas in the MDR also? Thanks folks....I know you'll come through for me! ;)

I've never been on Enchantment, but on other ships the fresh squeezed orange juice tends to be at a stand as you enter the Windjammer. There is a sign there advising of the price. Although I have seen bartenders walking around with fresh squeezed orange juices on their trays trying to get people to buy them. If you are eating in the Windjammer for breakfast as I imagine you probably would be, there are big drink stations with glasses already filled with the free orange juice, apple juice, and water. You just take the cups yourself.

The main rule of thumb for the girls would be to tell them if they are asked to hand over their Seapass card, it is going to cost them extra.

The upcharge Steak and Lobster are clearly marked as such on the dining room menu and are in a separate box on the menu with the price.

I've never been pressured to try to buy bottled water at dinner.

Sodas in the dining room are included with the unlimited soda package.

Soda card does cover the main dining room, but not Johnny Rockets.

I seemed to remember a station at the entrance to the buffet that had bottled water and fresh-squeezed OJ on the Navigator this past December. The didn't push it on as you walked by; if you wanted it, you went to them. They may have even had a price list posted. I don't know about the MDR for breakfast.

However, since you know they charge for these things, you can tells the girls that these things are extra.

The main rule of thumb for the girls would be to tell them if they are asked to hand over their Seapass card, it is going to cost them extra.

This is the biggest piece of advice I would give the girls. Also let them know that if there is ANY DOUBT in their mind to ask "Does this cost extra?" I'm sure the staff will be happy to clear up any doubt in their minds.

Things that also cost extra that might appeal to the girls:

-Candy Shop

-Arcade

-Pets at Sea (kind of like Build-A-Bear)

-Professional Pictures

-Some specialty desserts in the cafe area

EN doesn't have a Johnny Rocket so the point is moot there. She does have a Ben n Jerry's... mmmmm ice cream....

Bottom line: if it costs extra, the price is either clearly stated, marked or otherwise made known. the fresh squeezed stuff in the AM may or may not be offered by a wandering bartender. on my last trip aboard her, a few times it was, a few times it wasn't.

of course the things that they may not 'notice' since it is soooo easy to just hand over the room key and sign without actually paying attention( not that that has ever happened to moi ;) ) are things like the arcade, Pets at sea, Bingo, Spa stuff, souvenirs and any junk food they buy in the shops.

The troop has paid for the trip but souvenirs, and the "extras" are being paid for by the girls and their parents. I'd hate to come home and surprise the parents with a HUGE bill for things that the girls had no idea were extra! Being 14 and 15 year olds....they eat a LOT! I know about the extra charges for Ben and Jerry's, Johnny Rockets, sodas etc. I had no idea that they might encounter these extra charges in the main dining room! Also, does the soda card cover sodas in the MDR also? Thanks folks....I know you'll come through for me! ;)
My wife was a girl scout leader and 3 times had taken her troops on 3 and 4 night cruises over the years. As far as the girl's sea pass cards, what she did was get cash from the parents for each girl before the cruise (cash amount was between the girls and their parents) and use that cash for the sea pass card instead of a credit card. My wife told them in no uncertain terms that they were then responsible for what they spent and not to ask her for a "loan" if they ran out of money. If one girl asked another girl for a loan if she ran out, that was between them. As I mentioned, 3 cruises over the years and never had a money problem.

Soda card does cover the main dining room, but not Johnny Rockets.
Don't know about the soda card but we had the premium drink card a couple weeks ago on the eastbound Navigator TA and Johnny Rockets did honor that for the diet cokes we drank when we had lunch there.

My point isn't to buy the premium drink package for 14 & 15 year old girl scouts but I would have just assumed that if Johnny Rockets accepted the premium drink card, they would also accept the soda card. Of course, one knows what happens when one assumes.

Tim

As others have said, the mini-fridge sodas are not included. Either stress that nothing in the mini-fridge is included, or have the room steward empty the fridge so the girls can't be charged for something they eat or drink out of it.\

Gregg

Its pretty simple really, if they ask for their sea pass, it costs something. That said for girls this age there is nothing else they could need that isn't included. (the exception would be if a family wants the soda package for their daughter...then I recommend working on the nutrition bage;)) If its something they "Want" that should be worked out with their own family ahead of time. There is enough free food, free ice cream cones (at the pool), free flavored water (in the cafe and WJ), and free activities that they should not have any reason to flex their sea passes.

My girls 16 and 18 just returned from Allure and were off on their own a lot with charging privledges (tied to their allowance) and they did not use the sea pass even once for extra items and had a great time!

They do try to "sell" things, like art and photos, booze and cigarettes, spa treatments and bingo, not usually to kids, but it's pretty clear its for "sale"..."if you have to hand them your sea pass it's not free"!

You do have to be careful in the MDR, though. The waiter or assistant waiter will pop up at the table with a bottle of water and ask "does anyone want water" without mentioning there is a fee until after it's been poured.

The first evening it happened to us, several years ago, we all wanted water, of course, it was poured, the meal progressed ... and a little while later the waiter was back asking for a sea pass card.

We have not fallen for that trick again, but the waiters keep showing up with the water on every cruise. We always jump in to be sure our tablemates understand there is an extra charge ... some don't mind, and some are grateful to have it pointed out before they bite (so to speak:rolleyes:)

You do have to be careful in the MDR, though. The waiter or assistant waiter will pop up at the table with a bottle of water and ask "does anyone want water" without mentioning there is a fee until after it's been poured.

The first evening it happened to us, several years ago, we all wanted water, of course, it was poured, the meal progressed ... and a little while later the waiter was back asking for a sea pass card.

We have not fallen for that trick again, but the waiters keep showing up with the water on every cruise. We always jump in to be sure our tablemates understand there is an extra charge ... some don't mind, and some are grateful to have it pointed out before they bite (so to speak:rolleyes:)

That happened to my husband one cruise when they asked him what type of water did he want!

Wow, 9 girls aged 14-15! Have fun with that. I took my daughter and her friend at that age and it was an experience.

I suppose it works the same way as it did with our GS when we took him on FOS last summer. We were able to go down to GS and put a daily cap on his Seapass card spending.The only area on the ship where that didm't apply was the arcade, and there we had to go with him and load the card with arcade $$ for him to use.

Remind them that there is a surcharge for room service in the early morning hours- can't remember exactly when- something like 1am-5am they will be charged $3.95 for placing a room service order.

I'm sure someone will provide the correct info as I've never actually used room service during the charge period, but just wanted to mention it as another item to list for the troop to be aware of.

Tell them to grab a few box of cereal or pieces of fruit from windjammer to keep in the room for when the munchies hit instead. Or bring other snacks from home.

have a great cruise

Thanks again everyone! As always, the quickest answers to my cruise questions come straight from Cruise Critic! I think I got a little over concerned after reading a negative post from someone. I feel very reassured, after reading your comments, that I've given all the correct info to our parents and our girls! We'll all have a nice, little chat before we board with some gentle reminders to ALWAYS inquire about additional charges if they're uncertain. :o

OH...and Loves Cruising?? LOL....I had to laugh. NO....we have 1 adult for every 3 girls! I wouldn't dream of doing a trip like this without a safe ratio. And, the Girl Scouts have extremely strict safety rules and regulations regarding travel! (as do all the cruise ships!) I've taken these girls on many trips over the years. I consider myself incredibly fortunate to work with such hardworking and sweet girls! In case you were wondering, it takes a whole lotta cookies to pay for a cruise!:D

Once again, THANKS EVERYONE! If I have more questions before we leave, you can be sure I'll post them. If my parents give me permission, I may just pop a picture or 2 up here when we get back!

Have a great time!

You can also ask the room attendant to keep the mini frig locked.

Your girls can also go at any time to the pursuers desk and ask to see their accounts so they can see their balances on their account, keeping the responsibility up to them. (at times, they have it available on the TV system)

You've picked an excellent cruise line !

When I was a leader and took kids from the council to the Worlds fair and Skiing, we only had 1 occurrence with a couple of girls not showing up at the agreed time.

The consequence.... they had to stay with the leaders and do whatever they did. (And we had one really old and scientific vs. fun couple with us to help supervise) After a few hours of sitting and watching them drink coffee and listening to all the "scientific" stuff about any topic, the girls came back to us begging us to give them another chance. They passed the word very quickly to the other girls that they didn't want to break the rules!)

On our last cruise on the Navigator, the president of the New Orleans area scout council was with us in a Meet and Greet. She was amazing person.

Have a great time. I took 9 Girl Scouts ages 15/16 two years ago on Freedom of the Sea. Girls had a great time. They choose not to get the soda package and was fine with it. Each girl open an account with either cash or a debit card. Girls did not spend much on ship. They loved eating in the Dining Room and getting dressed up. :) I was grateful for Bonnie as some of them got a bit seasick. :eek:

There's lots of snack food that can be kept in the cabin - fruit, granola cereal, yogurt, peanut butter, cookies, etc. Even if you eat in the MDR, check out the WJ after dinner for some additional snack food like sushi and cheese that s only offered in the evening.

One other thing where they have to swipe their sea-pass card is for pool towels. There can be a charge for unreturned towels, but never had it happen. I'd remind them in your pre-cruise discussions to keep track of any towels they check out and be sure to return them.

I was just on the Enchantment in December, she is a beautiful ship.

One thing to keep in mind is the staterooms will have small boxes of snacks and soda sitting on the counter when you arrive. These are NOT complementary and you will be charged if they are opened. There are a couple of ways to handle this:

1. Ask your stateroom attendant to remove them and make sure they inform the bar tender in charge of restocking that these items were removed so you do not get charged.

2. Just move them out of the way (there are small mirrored doors on the sides of the large mirror on the desk, the items will fit behind one of the doors). Just make sure you set them out on the desk again before you leave.

One of the tips I got on the Enchantment - while Ben & Jerry's and the Coffee shop are extra, the pastries in the case are included.

I would recommend going on the 'new cruiser' tour - they will take you on a mini tour of what the ship has to offer and will give you cool tidbits of info (like the free pastries). Say hi to Daryl!

One other thing where they have to swipe their sea-pass card is for pool towels. There can be a charge for unreturned towels, but never had it happen. I'd remind them in your pre-cruise discussions to keep track of any towels they check out and be sure to return them.

Thank you!! Great to know!

Can I just say you are the coolest Girl Scout leader Ever? I thought my leaders were the best when, 40-ish years ago, we skipped camp one summer and went to a "resort" in Wisconsin, but taking the girls on a cruise tops that for sure!

Have tons of fun!

Can I just say you are the coolest Girl Scout leader Ever? I thought my leaders were the best when, 40-ish years ago, we skipped camp one summer and went to a "resort" in Wisconsin, but taking the girls on a cruise tops that for sure!

Have tons of fun!

Aww...Thanks!! Believe it or not, there are LOTS of leaders out there taking their girls on amazing trips (including cruises!). It helps that I have phenomenal girls!!

We'll have time/money to do one more "big trip" before they graduate. I want to take them somewhere AWESOME. (maybe NYC, Arizona, Colorado...something like that) I'd love to take them to the Girl Scout facility (called The World Assoc. of Girl Guides or WAGGS) in London but airfare is just so unbelievably expensive! Where ever we end up, it'll be great. :D

I was just on the Enchantment in December, she is a beautiful ship.

One thing to keep in mind is the staterooms will have small boxes of snacks and soda sitting on the counter when you arrive. These are NOT complementary and you will be charged if they are opened. There are a couple of ways to handle this:

1. Ask your stateroom attendant to remove them and make sure they inform the bar tender in charge of restocking that these items were removed so you do not get charged.

2. Just move them out of the way (there are small mirrored doors on the sides of the large mirror on the desk, the items will fit behind one of the doors). Just make sure you set them out on the desk again before you leave.

One of the tips I got on the Enchantment - while Ben & Jerry's and the Coffee shop are extra, the pastries in the case are included.

I would recommend going on the 'new cruiser' tour - they will take you on a mini tour of what the ship has to offer and will give you cool tidbits of info (like the free pastries). Say hi to Daryl!

Thank you!!! More GREAT tips!! (love the pastries part....forget the girls....I need to pass that one on to the adults!!);)

Archived