Diamond discount for solo traveler

I'm getting close to retirement and will be taking some cruises by myself while my wife (who's not a big cruiser) continues to work. How does RCI handle the Diamond balcony discount for solo travelers? Do you get 1/2 the discount? Can someone also explain the single supplement. I've seen some of the Tuesday Sale cruises show a single supplement of 150% up to 200%. Does that mean you pay the standard fare for yourself plus a 50% or 100% tax/supplement?

I'm getting close to retirement and will be taking some cruises by myself while my wife (who's not a big cruiser) continues to work. How does RCI handle the Diamond balcony discount for solo travelers? Do you get 1/2 the discount? Can someone also explain the single supplement. I've seen some of the Tuesday Sale cruises show a single supplement of 150% up to 200%. Does that mean you pay the standard fare for yourself plus a 50% or 100% tax/supplement?

The supplement is basically that you are paying for the second person who they could have sold a passage to as the rooms are normally sold as a double occupancy room.

You would get the full Diamond discount if you pay 200% and 3/4ths of the Diamond discount if you pay 150%.

You would pay the cost for 2 people, less taxes and port charges for one person. If the single supplement is less, then you would pay the price for one plus 50% or whatever the single supplement is, usually 100%. You would receive the entire Diamond discount. I travel by myself and receive a single supplement of 150% because of my D+ level. I receive the entire D+ balcony discount.

The supplement is basically that you are paying for the second person who they could have sold a passage to as the rooms are normally sold as a double occupancy room.

You would get the full Diamond discount if you pay 200% and 3/4ths of the Diamond discount if you pay 150%.

Even better, in my admittedly limited experience, one gets the entire D discount even if one scores a better single supplement.

The discount is per cabin not person, so you will get the full discount. Just as Carolyn stated.

Correct and -to the OP's original post - whatever the supplement rate is for a given cruise you only pay one tax / port charges. The solo cruiser supplement is on the pp stateroom rate only. There are no additional tax / port charges in addition to yours.

In theory that's true, but I've always gotten the full discount no matter what rate I've paid.:)

I never had to do a solo cruise, but we were on the Enchantment for 24 days last month and met a couple that wanted to make Pinnacle as soon and cheap as possible. I just need 10 points to make Pinnacle on the Explorer in September on the second leg of our B2B. My wife suggested that I book the Grandeur in May because there was a good price on a JS and go with one of my friends. The wife of the other couple liked the idea of splitting the cost and suggested that her husband and me take the cruise for the 14 points. I booked a corner JS in the back of the ship. It has a capacity for 4 so if we get two more we could do the cruise for under $900 each. So as a solo cruiser you could also talk to a friend or post splitting expenses. I heard of it working for others, but never thought I'd be doing it. I have to fly into Baltimore - the other guy will drive to the Port. Airfare is always a bummer for me. I sure hope Pinnacle Status is worth all this.

I never had to do a solo cruise, but we were on the Enchantment for 24 days last month and met a couple that wanted to make Pinnacle as soon and cheap as possible. I just need 10 points to make Pinnacle on the Explorer in September on the second leg of our B2B. My wife suggested that I book the Grandeur in May because there was a good price on a JS and go with one of my friends. The wife of the other couple liked the idea of splitting the cost and suggested that her husband and me take the cruise for the 14 points. I booked a corner JS in the back of the ship. It has a capacity for 4 so if we get two more we could do the cruise for under $900 each. So as a solo cruiser you could also talk to a friend or post splitting expenses. I heard of it working for others, but never thought I'd be doing it. I have to fly into Baltimore - the other guy will drive to the Port. Airfare is always a bummer for me. I sure hope Pinnacle Status is worth all this.
How fortunate that you met somebody who wants the points and is happy to share the costs. I certainly know what you mean about airfare, as we live near you. BWI usually aren't too bad. When is this gentleman's cruise for points? Maybe I can convince DH to go. We are a long way from Pinnacle, though, and I am not sure it is achievable for us.

You would pay the cost for 2 people, less taxes and port charges for one person. If the single supplement is less, then you would pay the price for one plus 50% or whatever the single supplement is, usually 100%. You would receive the entire Diamond discount. I travel by myself and receive a single supplement of 150% because of my D+ level. I receive the entire D+ balcony discount.

Do you have over 340 points on your D+? I inquired about the 150% single supplement because I travel solo as well, and the rep told me it's only for D+ with 340 or more.

Linda

Do you have over 340 points on your D+? I inquired about the 150% single supplement because I travel solo as well, and the rep told me it's only for D+ with 340 or more.

Linda

Yes, I do have over 340 cruise points. I'm working on 525 right now and then Pinnacle:)

How fortunate that you met somebody who wants the points and is happy to share the costs. I certainly know what you mean about airfare, as we live near you. BWI usually aren't too bad. When is this gentleman's cruise for points? Maybe I can convince DH to go. We are a long way from Pinnacle, though, and I am not sure it is achievable for us.

The sailing date is May 24th. Junior Suite Stateroom#7650. If your DH is interested I can be reached on my cellphone...262-995-3405

Sonny

The sailing date is May 24th. Junior Suite Stateroom#7650. If your DH is interested I can be reached on my cellphone...262-995-3405

Sonny

You really should not post personal information on a public forum...I'd report your post if I were you...

I just booked a single and it wasn't quite double. Comparing what I paid, to what double occupancy would be (did the base rate comparison because taxes and fees on a single are only one versus two), it ended up being 92%. So, yahoo, 8% discount:D and I got my full Diamond balcony discount, and, when I make D+ after our November cruise, I'll get another $25 off!

Susan :)

Sonny, the moderator might well remove it if you ask. Or do you use burner phones?;):D

No, I don't have a "burner" phone - sounds interesting though. It's not like my phone number is on the entire internet world. If the moderator thinks it's a good idea to remove it - then that's fine with me.

Archived