Very Torn - Post Cruise Seattle or Vancouver?

We will be sailing into Vancouver on the 23rd of July, and don't leave Seattle until very late on the 25th. I know it's strictly a matter of opinion, but since we've never been either place would we be better off staying in Vancouver for the two nights, Seattle for the two nights, or one night in each? We're 3 adults and a 6 year old (actually, he'll be 7 on the 25th), and I really need to make this decision soon so I can make the reservations.

I'm also still not sure how we'll be getting from Vancouver to Seattle. I'm guessing renting a car, but if we stay in Vancouver, will we need one? Maybe we could then take the train to Seattle, or maybe we could take the train anyway, and not rent until Seattle. We're on somewhat of a budget, and any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Both are great cities to visit, but my vote would be to stay in Vancouver. You would not need a rental car for your time staying there, it is a walking friendly city and cabs to other areas are fairly reasonable. You could renta a car for the one-way trip back. I would not split up the time, too much stressful travel time and not enough time for either city.

You have a tough choice, but neither would be wrong.

My Vote is Seattle. I too have been to both. Vancouver has china town, Beautiful Standly Park & Grouse Mt. I do love Vancouver. Your money will go farther in Vancouver because of the exchange rate. Seattle has Pike Place Market,The Seattle center & Space needle. The E.M.P. is wonderful. The shopping is great in downtown Seattle. I love the Seattle waterfront too. You have a hard choice to make. If you do stay in Vancouver I highly recommend the Pan Pacific hotel it is the best! Good luck.

I'd stay in VAncouver although do love both cities.. you can get a much less expensive hotel than the Pan Pacific (w/out using Priceline) if you are on a budget and you won't be in your room much anyway.. Something out Robson St towards Stanley Park or in English Bay. If you want to save money you can also take the VAncouver Trolley one day with on/off again stops at one low price. Stanley Park is lovely, very very good aquarium, Gastown, the gardens.. you will need to figure out what you really want to do. IMHO only, and there is much debate on this, I'd take bus shuttle straight to Seattle airport from Vancouver instead of messing with trains and cabs but then I don't like a lot of hassle on vacation.

Seattle as above post mentioned has a lot to do also but if you are already in Vancouver....

Beautiful cosmopolitan city with gorgeous views and very friendly people. As mentioned earlier, it has numerous ways to get around. We were there for a week and never used a rental. Find a place on or hear Robson (maybe Times Square Suites on the corner of Robson and Denman). Very nice, modern, and super clean lodging that is actually an apartment and is reasonably priced. Vancouver offers the aquarium in Stanley Park, numerous museums, Granville Island (cool shopping and great eats at their market), Gastown, Chinatown (my least favorite part of the city though), Canada Place, great waterfront areas, and if you can swing it, go on the Indian Arm Fijord boat tour. Victoria is also only a beautiful ferry ride away as well, and that's a gorgeous city brimming with flowers. Seattle is a good choice too, but I definitely prefer Vancouver.:D

Thanks for all your suggestions. We are going to stay both nights in Vancouver - got the Hyatt for $65 per night on Priceline.

Then on Monday we'll rent a car and drive to Seattle and figure out what to do with ourselves until our plane leaves at midnight.

Archived