So glad I brought my DSLR with me

So glad I bought my DSLR on our recent cruise! I was afraid to bring it because of weather, damage, theft, blah blah blah - it came back fine - sea spray, sand, even a wee bit of wine - it all comes off. Thanks so much for all the pointers and tips before the trip - I'm still sorting through my pictures, but here's a few from vacation (be kind - I'm very new at this).

Now, hopefully I'll add these pictures right and they won't be HUGE.

Canon+t3i+32GB+card+010.JPG

The view from our stateroom

Canon+Rebel+t3i+137.JPG

St. Thomas

Canon+Rebel+t3i+181.JPG

Sunrise - coming in to Old San Juan, Puerto Rico

Canon+Rebel+t3i+064.JPG

Items for sale at the open market in St. Maarten

Canon+t3i+32GB+card+108.JPG

Horseshoe Bay, Bermuda

Great pics! What brand of camera are you using?

My wife loves her dslr. She uses a Nikon 5100.

Happy cruising!

Hi Jim,

Thank you.

I have a Canon t3i. It was a toss-up between the Nikon and Canon for me, but my BIL is a Canon shooter and he has a lot of lenses he said I could borrow, so that swung the scale to Canon for me.

So glad I bought my DSLR on our recent cruise! I was afraid to bring it because of weather, damage, theft, blah blah blah - it came back fine - sea spray, sand, even a wee bit of wine - it all comes off. Thanks so much for all the pointers and tips before the trip - I'm still sorting through my pictures, but here's a few from vacation (be kind - I'm very new at this).

Now, hopefully I'll add these pictures right and they won't be HUGE.

Canon+t3i+32GB+card+108.JPG

Horseshoe Bay, Bermuda

Was debating whether to bring the dSLR to Horseshoe Bay this summer, debate over.

I used my d5100 + the 18-200mm on our trip to Bermuda. I prefer a camera w/ a tilt shift LCD, and the Nikon d5100 is the only model that has one! For those shots from the ground, it's much easier to work with a tilt shift LCD than the right angle viewer. Also, easier to manual focus w/ a larger LCD image. When you're ordering your camera, be sure to add some extra batteries. I went with Nikon and Olympus (for my E-620). I think the Nikon's paperwork mentioned voiding warranty w/ the generic batteries. Also, I bought one generic battery for my E-620, and so far it was the only one that failed.

Out of curiosity, do you know which lenses you used? Or does anyone recommend any particular lenses for this type of camera? I don't know too much about DSLR cameras but I want to get a really nice camera for my next cruise! Thanks! :)

Hi Sarasvati - prior to vacation I bought a Tamron 18-200 lens. I was really unsure of this since it doesn't have image stabilization and I read that it would be better to get a top quality professional type lens, but I needed more zoom (the kit lens is only 18-55) and I didn't have a lot of money, so I got what I could afford. :) That is the only lens I used on this vacation. I've been very happy with the Canon t3i and the Tamron lens.

Love the pictures! Would like to know the Camera/lens combo. Did you use a tripod w/ the Bermuda shot? Looks sharp from front to back, which means small aperture.

Hi knittinggirl - the camera is a Canon t3i and the lens is a Tamron 18-200. I had a CPL filter on the camera for all the shots above except for the NYC one.

I didn't bring my tripod with me. Where I could rest the camera on something, I did (like the NYC shot - I rested the camera on the balcony railing). Where I couldn't, I steadied myself as best I could.

The Horseshoe Bay picture was shot at f/4, 1/640 sec., ISO-100 at 18mm.

Some great shots! I won't leave home without mine. I also usually take a GorillaPod or similar tripod since we want some pictures of the both of us. Worked great for an early morning sunrise shot when nobody was around to take the pic for us. In fact, it's rarely NOT on my shoulder as I move about the ship and ports. Mine's a bit old, but turns out some awesome pictures!

JM

Hi Sarasvati - prior to vacation I bought a Tamron 18-200 lens. I was really unsure of this since it doesn't have image stabilization and I read that it would be better to get a top quality professional type lens, but I needed more zoom (the kit lens is only 18-55) and I didn't have a lot of money, so I got what I could afford. :) That is the only lens I used on this vacation. I've been very happy with the Canon t3i and the Tamron lens.

Thank you so much for the info! :)

I used my d5100 + the 18-200mm on our trip to Bermuda. I prefer a camera w/ a tilt shift LCD, and the Nikon d5100 is the only model that has one! For those shots from the ground, it's much easier to work with a tilt shift LCD than the right angle viewer.

There are several dSLRs with tilt shift and/or fully articulating LCDs.

I shoot with the Sony A55, which is fully articulated, including tilt. Sony's entry level model has tilt-only. Nice thing about the LCD screen on the Sony, you can use it with full phase detection auto focus, while on other brands, you lose full auto focus when using the LCD.

I do believe the Canon LCD is simply right-angle, but I'm not sure.

Archived