What are the problem cabins on the Veendam?

Infi

I'm currently considering a cruise on the Veendam for this summer. I know from reading this board that she has had a lot of maintenance/mechanical issues, especially with some of the cabins suffering from no A/C, flooding, etc. I did a search but had no luck, so I'm wondering - is there a list somewhere of the problem cabins on the Veendam? If there is no such thing, can anyone provide feedback on K548 and K549 specifically? Thanks in advance!

That is a hard question as if a cabin has a problem on a particular cruise, it likely is repaired and is fine the next cruise. Another cabin could develop a problem and that needs repair. It isn't likely there is a list of exact cabin numbers that always have exactly the same problem every cruise.

That is a hard question as if a cabin has a problem on a particular cruise, it likely is repaired and is fine the next cruise. Another cabin could develop a problem and that needs repair. It isn't likely there is a list of exact cabin numbers that always have exactly the same problem every cruise.

As I understood from reading various threads on the Veendam's misfortunes, it seemed like there were several cabins that were consistently problematic, to the extent the staff knew all about them, expected problems from them, and had fans etc. ready for when people complained. For example, I remember reading that the cabins near the aft pool had issues.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a comprehensive list, but if someone could chime in about the two cabins I mentioned (548 & 549) or if their cabin had problems, that would be extremely helpful.

As Sail said, the problem are dynamic, not static. The two cabins you mentioned may have been fine for the last 100 sailings, but could have a problem hidden in the walls just waiting for you.

You can be sure that if a problem should happen in your cabin, the crew will do everything possible to correct it while you are on board. HAL doesn't like unhappy customers.

It's a crap shoot.

As I understood from reading various threads on the Veendam's misfortunes, it seemed like there were several cabins that were consistently problematic, to the extent the staff knew all about them, expected problems from them, and had fans etc. ready for when people complained. For example, I remember reading that the cabins near the aft pool had issues.

You're correct in that there was a lengthy period when there wasn't a good word to be said about the comforts on the Veendam.

But that was also quite a while back, and things seem to have cleared up nicely. There may be the odd, occasional problem now, but nothing consistent and predictable.

I spent 20 days on the Veendam last January, going from incredibly hot/humid, to very cold Antarctica, back to unbearably hot/humid.

The heating/AC held up well, and I didn't hear any complaints. It could get a little warm in the dining room. The show lounge could be a bit cool at the beginning, then warm as body heat was given off.

The two cabins you are looking at are well-placed, and normally quite comfortable. I love 549.

Those are in a great location...we visited one of them on the Cabin Crawl on our Veendam cruise.

We were on her a month ago tomorrow...to Bermuda and back...and thoroughly enjoyed her.

The only drawback, if you are a huge fan of the S class ships (which I am!) is the lack of the Sea View pool. Bermuda was not a place we would have used it that early in the season.

I was told by someone in the know on Maasdam that Veendam has had an overhaul of staff since there were so many unhappy customers. Perhaps that's why she's running so smoothly now.

David Wood (Hotel Director) left last July...he told me that on Ryndam. When he told me, I wondered if it was because of that CDC poor rating ?

H returned to HAL after New Years...on Ryndam...was there on our 1/27 teo 2/10 cruise...and it seemed he left rather abruptly on 2/10. We had a new HD the 2nd portion of the Collectors.

We saw he and his wife in the MDR the Saturday - day before he left - having lunch with the CD and his wife (lead singer). I asked Eric (CD) later why David had left...told me he had no idea. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Stayed in 548 just about a year ago on our sailing to Bermuda. Absolutely LOVED that stateroom!!

It was HUGE compared to other insides we have been; it just felt so much more open than a normal inside. You simply have to be aware that when the door opens virtually your entire stateroom can be seen from the hall...there is no 'tunnel' hallway leading into the 'living space' of the stateroom.

Back then, we found it to be comfortable and quiet with what we considered central access to all areas of the ship.

I wouldn't hesitate to book that stateroom again.

You're correct in that there was a lengthy period when there wasn't a good word to be said about the comforts on the Veendam.

But that was also quite a while back, and things seem to have cleared up nicely. There may be the odd, occasional problem now, but nothing consistent and predictable.

I spent 20 days on the Veendam last January, going from incredibly hot/humid, to very cold Antarctica, back to unbearably hot/humid.

The heating/AC held up well, and I didn't hear any complaints. It could get a little warm in the dining room. The show lounge could be a bit cool at the beginning, then warm as body heat was given off.

The two cabins you are looking at are well-placed, and normally quite comfortable. I love 549.

Stayed in 548 just about a year ago on our sailing to Bermuda. Absolutely LOVED that stateroom!!

It was HUGE compared to other insides we have been; it just felt so much more open than a normal inside. You simply have to be aware that when the door opens virtually your entire stateroom can be seen from the hall...there is no 'tunnel' hallway leading into the 'living space' of the stateroom.

Back then, we found it to be comfortable and quiet with what we considered central access to all areas of the ship.

Thank you RuthC, innlady, and msmayor - these are the exact kind of info and personal experiences I was looking for. Much more helpful than replies that cabin problems are a crapshoot. Sounds like those two rooms are good bets - thank you so much.

Every cabin on every ship is a crapshoot.

Toilet and a/c can fail in any cabin at any time.

They fix 'em and then another breaks somewhere else.

We never take for granted all mechanicals will work fine until we are there and observe. We do take for granted it will be repaired, if necessary. ;)

Every cabin on every ship is a crapshoot.

Toilet and a/c can fail in any cabin at any time.

They fix 'em and then another breaks somewhere else.

We never take for granted all mechanicals will work fine until we are there and observe. We do take for granted it will be repaired, if necessary. ;)

Much wisdom there is here.

Wise you would be to heed it.

/yoda

David Wood (Hotel Director) left lastH returned to HAL after New Years...on Ryndam...was there on our 1/27 teo 2/10 cruise...and it seemed he left rather abruptly on 2/10. We had a new HD the 2nd portion of the Collectors.

We saw he and his wife in the MDR the Saturday - day before he left - having lunch with the CD and his wife (lead singer). I asked Eric (CD) later why David had left...told me he had no idea. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

I believe he was the Hotel Director we had last year on Veendam on a 22 night cruise. He did not appear to be a people person and not social or friendly. Normally on a long cruise we get to know staff. This was not the case on this cruise, although we really liked the Cruise Director. My DH saw him leaving his Suite with his wife (?) so maybe preoccupied with a family member on board. He wasn't like any Hotel Director we had had on any other ship.

Someone showed us that inside when we were on VOV in 2011 and it was HUGE!

Thank you RuthC, innlady, and msmayor - these are the exact kind of info and personal experiences I was looking for. Much more helpful than replies that cabin problems are a crapshoot. Sounds like those two rooms are good bets - thank you so much.

Although you are entitled to your opinion, the second sentence of your reply was uncalled for. Sail and I were both trying to point out to you that although those cabins may have been flawless in the past, you have no guarantee that what ever cabin you select won't have a mechanical problem.

I'm glad your question was answered to your satisfaction, but please don't come down on us for warning you of what could happen.

Have a nice cruise.

Archived