Taxi or Bus to Mendenhall Glacier

Nana57

I have read that the city bus drops you off 1.5 miles from Mendenhall Glacier? If we take a taxi would we be dropped off closer? Are there taxis to take us back? How much does it cost to take a taxi there?

There is more than one shuttle bus operator, but in the past, rates were the same.

A cab will run about $30++ each way, so would be a good option with a group. You do have to have phone numbers and call before you wish to leave, or arrange the pick up time prior. There are no cab lines at Mendenhall.

Drop off for both would be by the visitor center with a short walk from the shuttle bus drop off, parking lot.

We have taken a cab to Mendenhall Glacier. We got off the ship early got our selves a cab and beat the tour busses to the Glacier. We were dropped off in the parking lot. We had pre arranged a pickup with the cab driver. It was all quite easy. We had him drop us off back in Juneau on the way back. We are going again with friends in a few weeks we plan to just get ourselves a taxi once again.

When we took the taxi we were at Mendenhall for about 3 hrs . The taxi would have given us as much time as we wanted. He also gave us his phone number so we could call if we wanted to change our time. He drove another party out to the glacier when he came to pick us up. We set a price with the driver for the round trip before we got in.

Our taxi charge was by the trip. We had 4 passengers. There were taxi cars and vans. Cruise tour to the glacier would have been quite a lot higher for the four of us. We really enjoyed getting out to the visitors center early before the busses arrived.

We took the blue bus. You can buy the tickets right there and they are every 30 minutes out and back. $16 round trip. You save your ticket for the ride back. The driver gave us a little history of the area on the way out. You can stay as long as you like at the Glacier, just ask when the last bus is!! We even saw bears from the bus!

We took the blue bus. You can buy the tickets right there and they are every 30 minutes out and back. $16 round trip. You save your ticket for the ride back. The driver gave us a little history of the area on the way out. You can stay as long as you like at the Glacier, just ask when the last bus is!! We even saw bears from the bus!

When we took the blue bus. The driver was constantly talking like a tour guide on an organized . He would point out the bald eagle nest and other

interesting things. I personally don't think a taxi driver would take time to do this.

Hi,

We will be renting a car from Avis when we are in town that day. The cost I show on my end is $79. I figure that this is worth it as we can visit Mendenhall Glacier, go out to lunch and explore other things at our leisure. The Avis car rental company is inside Goldbelt Hotel I believe. It is 1.5 km from port from what I understand.

Have a great trip!

-D

Archived