Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor and kids

dpomes

I've never been on NCL before. On the other lines I've cruised, the nighttime entertainment has always been family-friendly. I'm not sure about Rock of Ages and Burn the Floor. Are these shows appropriate for a 12 year old?

There is a recent report that Rock of Ages has sexual scenes along with foul language so definitely not family friendly on that show. I would imagine that Burn the Floor would be okay because it involves dancers but then again who knows what kind of dance moves they perform.

Rock of Ages is a great, fun musical with a lot of 80s music. Sure, there will be some foul words here and there and a few risque parts, but not everyone is interested in seeing Sponge Bob and his friends at every show. That's the beauty of freestyle - lots of different offerings for different tastes. As long as NCL lets passengers know in advance that the show is PG-13, then those who are easily offended can choose something else to do instead.

There was a post earlier that even the NCL daily states that Rock of Ages has 'mature themes' or some wording like that. I was really surprised! I'm really torn about going to the show...even though my kids are way past PG-13 age. I just thought that all shows (except late night comedy) would be 'appropriate' for all ages and with Rock being questionable, that limits our entertainment choices for the week.:confused:

There was a post earlier that even the NCL daily states that Rock of Ages has 'mature themes' or some wording like that. I was really surprised! I'm really torn about going to the show...even though my kids are way past PG-13 age. I just thought that all shows (except late night comedy) would be 'appropriate' for all ages and with Rock being questionable, that limits our entertainment choices for the week.:confused:

Every parent will obviously have to make their own decisions. I've seen the full Broadway production of Rock of Ages and it's really not that "mature" (mostly singing and dancing and a silly storyline about a developer who wants to tear down and redevelop the Sunset Strip where a famous bar/musical venue sits).

I would imagine that the overwhelming vast majority of kids "way past PG-13 age" will have seen far worse on network TV, seen more skin on the pool deck, and have heard a dirty word or two before.

One solution might be for the parents with concerns to go the first night it's offered and then decide whether to let the kids go on a subsequent night?

I obviously don't know how the shortened cruise ship version will be, but this is a Tony Award nominated musical that really is a lot of fun. I would hate for people to miss it because they were worried it was something different than what it really is.

The issue is that everyone has a different opinion on what is offensive. With what is on TV and the internet, I imagine Rock of Ages is a church group compared to other stuff. But if rock songs offend you or your children, please dont attend.

I remember reading early reviews of the Cirque Dreams show on Epic how some were so deeply offended because one man was dressed as a woman. Others blogged how they were scarred for life because of dancing rabbis.

If you are overly sensitive, please dont attend the shows and then bash NCL. I find that even the "adult" shows are even kid friendly IMO.

I agree KJE Atlanta, not everyone wants to see Sponge Bob. Yes some of us enjoy rock music, like to drink alcohol, swear now and then, and find jokes funny. Sorry if I offended anyone :)

Yes some of us enjoy rock music, like to drink alcohol, swear now and then, and find jokes funny. Sorry if I offended anyone :)

We need to cruise together ;)

It already sounds like it's mentioned it's PG-13. So it's out there and as a parent, you'll have to make a decision. At that point, you (collective "you", not OP) cannot come back here (or elsewhere) and say it has inappropriate contect. You were told.

There's also burn the floor and cirque along with howl at the moon, slam allen and second city which don't have risqué content. Plenty of family-friendly entertainment.

We need to cruise together ;)

It already sounds like it's mentioned it's PG-13. So it's out there and as a parent, you'll have to make a decision. At that point, you (collective "you", not OP) cannot come back here (or elsewhere) and say it has inappropriate contect. You were told.

There's also burn the floor and cirque along with howl at the moon, slam allen and second city which don't have risqué content. Plenty of family-friendly entertainment.

Sure. I will take you up on Thanksgiving on the Aft. Sounds like a plan! I dont take up much room and I promise to only eat at the buffet ;)

I remember reading early reviews of the Cirque Dreams show on Epic how some were so deeply offended because one man was dressed as a woman. Others blogged how they were scarred for life because of dancing rabbis.

If you are overly sensitive, please dont attend the shows and then bash NCL. I find that even the "adult" shows are even kid friendly IMO.

Seriously, offended that actors played women and rabbi's were dancing? Oy vey.

I'm not a prude at all - but not sure I would bring a 12 year old (at least to the Broadway version). We saw this last summer (and really enjoyed it) and then when NCL announced this was one of the shows, the first thing we questioned is if it is appropriate for kids. Most specifically, the language. Now, I haven't seen the shortened Breakaway version yet - so they could have very easily excised some choice words to clean it up. There is a plot line involving a strip club - would probably consider that PG-13.

Perhaps you can wait until some actual reviews from Breakaway come in from passengers on board. I am going next month, so if nothing comes up, I will try to remember to come back here and give my opinion on any sanitizing that may have been done.

I'm not a prude at all - but not sure I would bring a 12 year old (at least to the Broadway version). We saw this last summer (and really enjoyed it) and then when NCL announced this was one of the shows, the first thing we questioned is if it is appropriate for kids. Most specifically, the language. Now, I haven't seen the shortened Breakaway version yet - so they could have very easily excised some choice words to clean it up. There is a plot line involving a strip club - would probably consider that PG-13.

Perhaps you can wait until some actual reviews from Breakaway come in from passengers on board. I am going next month, so if nothing comes up, I will try to remember to come back here and give my opinion on any sanitizing that may have been done.

We're not sailing until the end of June, so I'll look forward to your review! My son just turned 12, and he's still very innocent. We all love rock music, so I thought the show would be fun but not if there's sexual innuendos / content.

Thank you all for your input!

Show is not suggested for children. My kids are 15 and 17 and saw the rock of ages show. Some scenes are a bit inappropriate. Music was good though I don't think it needed to have some of the story lines it had.

Burn the floor is fine for kids, show was really great.

I didn't think it was vulgar. The language was colorful. Singing was really good. Storyline was a little ridiculous. Would say it would depend on maturity level of the kids. Many though we're more offended especially I think the much older crowd. We did see several older folks get up and walk out.

I didn't think it was vulgar. The language was colorful. Singing was really good. Storyline was a little ridiculous. Would say it would depend on maturity level of the kids. Many though we're more offended especially I think the much older crowd. We did see several older folks get up and walk out.

Ok, thanks

I am on breakaway right now :) Just talked to the Splash Academy crew. They said that on the ROA nights - they are going to open EARLY to accommodate those going to the 6:45 show. ;)

And no - it's not a "family friendly" show.

Not my words. :)

I am on breakaway right now :) Just talked to the Splash Academy crew. They said that on the ROA nights - they are going to open EARLY to accommodate those going to the 6:45 show. ;)

And no - it's not a "family friendly" show.

Not my words. :)

Thanks for the info! :)

We saw both shows on the maiden voyage from London to NYC.

We LOVED both. Rock of Ages has great music and a fun storyline. It's rock in the 80s....the dress is skimpy and just like the 80s, there are many sexual overtones. The show is extremely well done, but there is adult language, drugs (even the smell of marijuana is imitated and comes from the stage) and adult themes. I would have no problem bringing my older teens. The show is excellent. The cast is terrific. The music is phenomenal. Tip: be sure to bring a candle from the restaurant that night....we did and were able to hold up our "lighters" (eletric candles) during some music parts....just like the "old" days. So much fun!!!! Lots of subtle jokes that you will miss if you aren't paying attention. LOVED IT!!

Burn The Floor is great for anyone. It is a high energy dance show. No storyline, just music and dancing. The dancers are amazing. We enjoyed this as well.

We also paid to see Cirque....it was amazing!!! However, do not pay for premium seats -- they are only worth it if you are guaranteed to be on stage or in the first row. We paid for premium and were seated at a middle table with people in front of us blocking the view. Be sure to see this show though!!!

I'd be more offended by Sponge Bob and his square pants than Rock of Ages. I'm sure you can find something more wholesome to do while the adults enjoy the show.

Who are you directing this to? I'm an adult, and Rock of Ages does not appeal to me at all. I don't think raunchy performances are "entertainment". I do love Sponge Bob though :)

Archived