Teppanyaki for Wedding Anniversary?

HawaiiUK

Hi,

I'd like to try one of the speciality restaurants on the Star for our wedding anniversary. As we, and our teenage daughter, like Japanese food, I thought Teppanyaki might be good - but a $20 cover charge p.p. for 'only' miso soup, teppanyaki and a dessert?! Somehow I expected there would be more. Is it worth the extra cost? Good portions, or do you go away hungry?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'd like to try one of the speciality restaurants on the Star for our wedding anniversary. As we, and our teenage daughter, like Japanese food, I thought Teppanyaki might be good - but a $20 cover charge p.p. for 'only' miso soup, teppanyaki and a dessert?! Somehow I expected there would be more. Is it worth the extra cost? Good portions, or do you go away hungry?

Thanks.

There are very good portions. You get miso soup, seaweed salad, entree, vegetables, rice (fried rice or steamed) and dessert. You can look on NCL's website under Learn About Our Cruises - go to ships - go to star - go to what's on board - go to Teppanyaki Room and then click on the sample menu. I believe it is $25 per person. I didn't go away hungry!

Teppanyaki has a "community element" built into the experience. They fill the tables to capacity. You will be sharing your anniversary celebration with strangers; not sure if that would make a difference to you?

Teppenyaki is more of a fun show dining experience - yes, if you are including your teenage daughter to have more of a family celebration - but wouldnt put it down to a "romantic candlelight" for sure. What would £14 buy you at home = very little - peanuts for a fun night out....Just dont expect Nobo -

Go to the Italian restaurant or to modern if there is one on the ship

If you want to spend a bit extra and have a lovely and special dinner go to Le Bistro or Cagney's

I hated Teppanyaki. The food was extremely salty, there wasn't a lot of it and the company at the other tables was horrendous.

that's just my opinion

Lol! We don't do 'romantic' very well, these days! Quite happy for it to be more of a family celebration (and probably being sad our son doesn't want to go on holiday with us anymore! :rolleyes:).

Trouble is, I'm not that enamoured by the Cagney menus; the Asian just looks like what we could get from the local Chinese takeaway. Italian? DD would like that; looks a tad dull. French could be OK, but not sure what DD would eat off that. And no, she's not one to disappear off to the Teens club, so she'll be eating with us.

And nor can I get past the fact that it may be 'only' £14 (each), but I've already paid for my food in the cruise price, so this is on top of that.

*sigh*. But if these are the only things I have to worry about, then I am a very fortunate and lucky girl indeed. ;)

Just got back from the Dawn ( sister of Star ) and had dinner at Tappenyaki. We have gone to that restaurant on every NCL cruise we've taken and never been disappointed. You won't go away hungry. Your daughter would enjoy the theatrics that go along with the food preparation but know others will be sharing your table with the chef preparing the food on the hibachi in the middle of the rectangular table. We have never had obnoxious people share. We think this is well worth the money!

Just had a "d'oh!" moment.

We have a $300 OBC (didn't have one of those on our previous cruise) - I can spend that on fancy restaurants, can't I? Might try out TWO of them then AND have fresh orange juice with our breakfasts! I'm going giddy with excitement at the thought! :D

We have a $300 OBC (didn't have one of those on our previous cruise) - I can spend that on fancy restaurants, can't I? Might try out TWO of them then AND have fresh orange juice with our breakfasts! I'm going giddy with excitement at the thought! :D

'Invest' $15 in a martini tasting -you won't be disappointed... (can't involve DD though);)

For a romantic/special dinner Le Bistro has to be the way to go IMHO (DD may not like the menu but the chocolate fondu should tick a few boxes).

The obc you have can only be used for restaurants you actually book on board so if you try to reserve online, you can't use that money. The reason I mention this is of all the restaurants on the Star, Teppanyaki has the most limited seating and if you plan to use your obc, book as soon as you get on the ship to make sure you get a slot.

Mmmm, maybe Bistro for our anniversary, and Teppanyaki another day.

Silly question: Do they serve bread at the Bistro? Can't see it on the menu, but I suspect that will be the only thing DD will eat for a starter.

Silly question 2: Is it possible to get marshmallows onboard? That would go very well with the chocolate fondue... from DD's point of view, anyhow :)

Hi,

Thanks.

Teppenyaki on land in my area ranges from $15 for vegetarian to $40 for Lobster or Filet Mignon.

So $20 seems to be a fairly reasonable cover charge. Especially because it is capacity controlled, so supply/demand might charge a higher price.

Archived