Egypt overnight from ship

paumarier

My husband and I would like to spend the night in Egypt for our 2-day visit instead of returning to our ship on the first night only to get off the ship the next morning to finish our tour. Do we need special permission either from the ship or Egypt to do this? Do we need a special visa to do this?

We overnighted in Alexandria last October and many people stayed in Cairo for the night. SOme on ship excursions and others on private ones. Verify with the cruise line, but it should be okay.

Make sure you notify the ship that you will not be back for the night. On NCL Jade there was a sign-up sheet for people to write down their names and whereabouts that they will be overnighting at the front desk. Especially important if the ship is moving from one port to another overnight. Probably not so much if the ship is staying in one port. Best to check with your cruise line.

• 1 month later...

With the news now reporting that the State Dept. is telling people not to go to Egypt, I'm concerned about spending the night off the ship. If it is safe enough for the ship to dock, I think we will still do the tours but I don't think I want to take the chance of the ship not docking at the next port. We'll have to wait and see the next 4 months until our trip.

With the news now reporting that the State Dept. is telling people not to go to Egypt, I'm concerned about spending the night off the ship. If it is safe enough for the ship to dock, I think we will still do the tours but I don't think I want to take the chance of the ship not docking at the next port. We'll have to wait and see the next 4 months until our trip.

With four months, I would just keep an eye on the situation. If the ship is moving to another port, that adds additional complications. In 2009, there was a group left the Ocean Princess for a multi day safari in southern Africa. Planned to rejoin in the Seychelles. There were several pirate attacks in that are, so we skipped the Seychelles. It was 5 days later the group rejoined us in Oman. All was at their expense.

Archived