Trans-Atlantic Crossing Question

tango223

We are thinking of doing a trans-atlantic crossing in August. Was wondering which direction is better New York to Southampton or Southampton to New York.

We did have a question if we decide to do the New York to Southampton direction and drive to the port in Brooklyn...we want to stay 3 nights in London before we fly back. What is the best way to get from the airport in New York back to the Brooklyn port parking? Does Cunard have a shuttle?

Thanks in advance for your help with these questions.:confused:

We are thinking of doing a trans-atlantic crossing in August. Was wondering which direction is better New York to Southampton or Southampton to New York.
Hi tango223,

West-bound Southampton - New York will mean a few of the days (five of seven days usually) on board will have an extra hour in bed, on the east-bound crossing you lose an hour on five of the seven days usually.

I like the arrival into New York Harbor as something to end the voyage with, simply amazing everytime (arrival into Southampton Docks isn't quite the same somehow).

However, I know many Americans like the idea of sailing back to the Old World, as much as I like sailing to the New World!

Why not do both WB & EB in a B2B and see which you prefer :D .

Sorry that I can't help more... :o .

We did have a question if we decide to do the New York to Southampton direction and drive to the port in Brooklyn...we want to stay 3 nights in London before we fly back. What is the best way to get from the airport in New York back to the Brooklyn port parking? Does Cunard have a shuttle?

We've done both and I wouldn't say either way is the 'best' way. Leaving NYC on an eastbound crossings is pretty dramatic as you go past the Statue of Liberty and under the Verazanno bridge...and it's just a beautiful harbor. If you're coming westbound...yes it's still the same harbor but you are coming in very very early in the morning.

As to the parking. We always park at the Brooklyn terminal, even if we're going to be gone a month, such as this June when we leave on the June 1st crossing and return on the July 1st crossing.

If you do an eastbound crossing and plan to fly back, you need to find out if the terminal parking lot will be open. It's always open on a cruise day (either Cunard or Princess) but I don't know if it is other days. If you happen to come back on a date that a ship will be in, then there is no problem...but if no ship...you better find out if you can retrieve your car.

If a Princess or Cunard ship is in port then they would have transfers to the dock, but these would be for embarking passengers which means you would have to time your arrival. A taxi of course would be the other alternative.

This website, www.nycruise.com will have links to all the ships coming into and leaving from NYC. It also links to the parking information with phone numbers to call.

Good luck.

Hi tango223,

West-bound Southampton - New York will mean a few of the days (five of seven days usually) on board will have an extra hour in bed, ... :o .

An extra hour in bed!!! Gosh, I thought it was an extra hour in the Commodore Club!!

Pepperrn and Cruise NH have put it very well. There's no best way; they're all good.:) If you travel east you will lose an hour on five of your seven days, but we found it easy to adjust. You'll have a glorious departure from New York and a week to anticipate your days in London; days that you'll be able to enjoy all the more because you won't be suffering from jet lag. Traveling west you'll have five delightfully longer days at sea and, if you're an early riser (which we definitely are not), you'll enjoy a spectacular arrival in New York.

Here is one of those crossing stories that may not be true, but ought to be. Back in the olden days when RMS Queen Mary and RMS Queen Elizabeth ran a weekly trans-Atlantic shuttle service, a lady who made several crossings one season by happenstance always took Queen Mary eastbound and Queen Elizabeth westbound. When a friend asked if she preferred one ship over the other, she replied, "Oh yes, the Queen Elizabeth because the days are longer on the Queen Elizabeth."

Take her advice, tango223, go west young crosser!

A taxi is probably the best way to get from any of the airports to the Brooklyn cruise terminal. LaGuardia back is about $40 in a taxi; a town car will be about $55. JFK is more and Newark considerable more.

East or West?? half dozen of one - 6 of the other, but there are 5 hours more on the West bound trip?

Good afternoon, Tango:

We have used http://www.arecibocc.com/

on capnpugwash's advice I found on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1375422&highlight=arecibocc+com

We used them on May 3rd of this year upon arrival on the QM2 and also once before when arriving on the QM2. They are priced very fairly and quote you a price when you call and stick to it and arrived both times within 5-10 minutes. The cars were very clean, the drivers excellent and we were very pleased.

Thank you, capnpugwash!

best regards,

seasidegal

I chose an eastbound cruise, because I hate overnight flights. I can not sleep sitting up. Traveling eastbound to Europe from the US, normally requires an overnight flight. I have been miserable during the flight whenever I have done that method.

I booked the eastbound translantic, to avoid the overnight flight, plus to get pre-adjusted to the time change. On the return trip, we have a flight back which leaves mid-morning London time. While it will be a long day, by the time I am about ready to collapse we will be home.

I chose an eastbound cruise, because I hate overnight flights. I can not sleep sitting up. Traveling eastbound to Europe from the US, normally requires an overnight flight. I have been miserable during the flight whenever I have done that method.

I booked the eastbound translantic, to avoid the overnight flight, plus to get pre-adjusted to the time change. On the return trip, we have a flight back which leaves mid-morning London time. While it will be a long day, by the time I am about ready to collapse we will be home.

You have a valid reason to have booked the eastbound crossing; but, just out of curiosity, how much cheaper than the westbound crossing is the westbound flight?

Thank you all for the information. Good information about the car service and good information to find out if there is a Princess/Cunard ship embarking or disembarking the day we arrive back.

Since there were opinions on both sides of which direction, we'll have to decide whether more hours on the ship or a more restful change to the time zones is better for us.

Speaking as a Brit, I've only done 2 TAs, both eastbound simply because I like to fly in to NYC, have a few hectic sightseeing days still with the anticipation of the wonderfully relaxing crossing to come. So if you like the same set-up, I guess flying to London, sightseeing and then the crossing homewards would work.

Can anyone help me with this one please. I am booked on the QM to NY and wonder what the arrangements are on arrival. We have booked cruise/flight/transfer. Will they just dump us at the airport for the day, or do we get a free tour or what before we fly back to London later that day?

Many thanks

Can anyone help me with this one please. I am booked on the QM to NY and wonder what the arrangements are on arrival. We have booked cruise/flight/transfer. Will they just dump us at the airport for the day, or do we get a free tour or what before we fly back to London later that day? Many thanks
Hi,

I've only once flown back from New York on the day I arrived on QM2 from Southampton (I prefer to stay in New York). We were taken by coach to Macy's and let loose for a couple of hours, other coaches took passengers to Times Square and gave them longer free time. Then off to the airport with several hours to wait before the flight home.

(On my transfer we had less time in New York because a couple of passengers decided (we presumed) to get a taxi to New York or direct to the airport, they didn't tell Cunard so the coaches waited and waited for them to board. The ship knew (the coach drivers checked) they had disembarked, but they didn't appear at the coach. After an hour of waiting we set off... )

Have a great time, please ask if you've further questions, Bon Voyage! :)

You have a valid reason to have booked the eastbound crossing; but, just out of curiosity, how much cheaper than the westbound crossing is the westbound flight?

I didn't really research the cost of the westbound crossing vs a westbound flight.

This was my thought process.

1. I have always wanted to do a trans-Atlantic cruise.

2. I have never been to the United Kingdom (while my wife has)

3. I hate "red-eye" flights, see my initial post

4. My wife wanted to see the United Kingdom again.

5. I have work team-mates in New York City and London that I have never actually met.

So I fly into NYC, visit with my co-workers, then a few days later my wife will join me. We then embark on the QM2 for the TA. We will then spend a week in the UK (with me, meeting up with work team-mates one night)

Thanks for sharing your thought process. I understand everything except "So I fly ...". No matter. Bon Voyage! Sailing only one way is still infinitely better than not sailing at all. I know that you and your wife will love QM2.

Can anyone help me with this one please. I am booked on the QM to NY and wonder what the arrangements are on arrival. We have booked cruise/flight/transfer. Will they just dump us at the airport for the day, or do we get a free tour or what before we fly back to London later that day?

Many thanks

On our recent westbound TA they did just that; we were dropped at Newark before 10am and spent seven lovely (!) hours there before boarding our flight back to London. On reflection, if (when) we do it again will will either do a B2B or spend a couple of days in NY.

We had a fantastic time on our first TA, and I am sure you will too.

The same situation applies to us in Canada. There is one day flight from Toronto to London, but it is not available at a reasonable one-way fare. So for the past several years we have sailed over and flown home. Even if we did it in reverse, sailing into New York is not convenient when the final destination is Toronto. The train service is poor, to put it kindly. Long gone are the overnight sleeper-equipped trains. Even the NYC - Montreal night train is gone. We used that a few times. So we would have to go through US immigration and customs in New York, then fly to Toronto and go through Canadian immigration and customs. That is too much fun for one day. Staying over in NYC is an option, of course, but after a holiday, with our without an ocean crossing, we are tired, broke, over-fed and just want to get home.

We are fortunate that there is a Canadian carrier, Air Transat, that offers reasonable one-way fares and a modestly-priced club section. There is one disadvantage to the westbound flights: they cost more than eastbound because of the huge "air passsenger duty" imposed by the UK government. I am not complaining about air traveller user fees, which are understandable, but the additional departure tax of $200 pp in Club Class. But I will pay that in order to take the eastbound crossing by sea and fly home.

Many thanks

I have been fortunate to do many one way West bound crossings and on every one except for the times I have stayed in Manhattan or done the b2b's Cunard have supplied a coach with sightseeing trip and a few hours shopping before being coached to JFK. It was never mentioned in their documentation, I only found out whilst on board at the tours desk in the main lobby.

I probably should have worded the "So I fly..." part better.

Based on my bullet points, I decided to fly into NYC a couple of days early, do some sightseeing, meet up with some coworkers for dinner. Then my wife will fly into NYC on Saturday and we will meet up at the pier.

Thanks for sharing your thought process. I understand everything except "So I fly ...". No matter. Bon Voyage! Sailing only one way is still infinitely better than not sailing at all. I know that you and your wife will love QM2.

... Then my wife will fly into NYC on Saturday and we will meet up at the pier.
I fervently believe that buying insurance prevents the occurrence of the hazard insured against. So, to guarantee that your wife's flight will not be cancelled, delayed, or diverted to Cleveland, buy travel insurance (if you haven't already).

Archived