They don't just change the itinerary before you board...

Martin20

We docked at the wharf in Sydney Harbour on 13 March when sunrise time was 6.53am so I can confirm it would have been dark when the ship docked at 6am, let alone an hour earlier when it passed through the Gap from the ocean into the harbour. I think it was always the intention to dock at 6am, whatever the reason. Referring to the itinerary for Marina's arrival into Sydney on 14 February 2014, this is shown as 8am again but referring to the Sydney ports authority schedule this is shown at 7am http://www.sydneyports.com.au/port_operations/cruise_schedule

Sunrise is 6.36am so still likely that some of the entry will be in the dark but even more likely, in my opinion, that the ship will dock at 6am again so it will still be dark on docking!

As for cruising by islands at an "inconvenient time", yes I would call 3am pretty inconvenient and definitely too inconvenient to warrant a mention in the itinerary in the first place.

In conclusion to all this, I do think that there is a general feeling on this board that it is acceptable to feel that with cruising it is acceptable for the cruise company to hand down any changes they want because that's part of this type of holiday. I know I am in the minority here, but I do feel that unless people complain when changes are made which are not the result of weather, war, breakdowns etc then these changes, which are probably based on inattention to itinerary timings in the first place, will continue to happen.

I do understand. I just thought I would say that it was dawn when we entered the harbour and it was lovely. Maybe we were a little late, I don't remember.

It's kinda like our flights to Kenya on BA when they cancelled Toronto to London without notifying us, but confirmed London to Mombasa. What was the point of that???? Were we supposed to swim? It was between Xmas and New Years 2007 so in retrospect maybe we should have stayed home. Made for some great stories though. ;-)

Mo

One thing that is overlooked is that if the schedule says the ship arrives at Sydney at 8:00am that mean at the dock and cleared by authorities. Don't know what the time is from the entrance to the harbor and the dock.

On all our cruises the ship has always arrived 2-3 hours before the scheduled arrival to give it time to tie up to the dock and have the ship cleared by local officials.

By the time we wake up, in advance of the arrival time, the ship is usually docked.

We actually arrived more than 3 hours in advance on one cruise.

I am sure the captain and ship's company are happy the get there early and start unloading and loading. Remember most of the time new passengers will be coming on board in a few hours and the ship has to be provisioned and cleaned.

For this particular cruise the passenger was on, the ship arrived in Sydney one day prior to disembarkation. If they want to watch the ship go through the narrow gap, they would need to do a Sydney to ??? in order to have daylight to go through and that would only work if the ship left early enough in the day.:)

Too difficult to tender in Taormina so we dock at Messina

We are thrilled since we have been to Taormina and did not feel like spending 90 euro for a taxi there and back

We have never been to Messina and the town is 6 minute walk from the pier

All I want is pasta and a cannoli

Sometimes a port change is good!

Too difficult to tender in Taormina so we dock at Messina

We are thrilled since we have been to Taormina and did not feel like spending 90 euro for a taxi there and back

We have never been to Messina and the town is 6 minute walk from the pier

All I want is pasta and a cannoli

Sometimes a port change is good!

Your going to the right place and if your there on a Sunday there is frequently a parade or band concert in the main square. Enjoy!

Archived