New Orleans Pre-Cruise

Cruiser-66

We recently booked the Carnival Sunshine, sailing out of New Orleans. I thought there would be no problem booking a hotel as there are many in the area. We need a room for Nov. 17th, and there must be a lot going on as there isn't much to choose from and the prices are out of site!! Most places are booked.

All we're wanting is an average hotel that's clean. Breakfast in the morning would be nice. Also like to be walking distance from a convenience store we could pick up some things.

Does anyone know the area and have suggestions? What about staying at the airport? This port is new to us, but we've cruised a lot. We are traveling with two teenage grand-sons.

Thanks for any help!

There is a New Orleans Saints football game on the 17th. That's going to make hotels expensive for that date in the downtown area. However, you should find more reasonably priced accommodations either outside the city, or around the airport area.

• 1 month later...

You might try the hotels in the Garden District. We just stayed at the Hampton Inn on St. Charles in the Garden District. The tolley runs directly in front of the hotel. There is a CVS or Walgreens just a couple blocks away. Also if you are driving you can leave your car there and catch a cab to the port for $7 a person.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We used Last Minute travel. You need to look and see if it states "upon request" or "available". If it states available, the reservation will go right through. If not, they have to call the hotel and ask for the rate and get back to you. It may or may not go through. We did one for "upon request". they did not call or get back to me. I had to call them back twice and it took about 5 days but in the end, I did get the rate and room. It was fine.

• 2 weeks later...

All we're wanting is an average hotel that's clean.

Thanks for any help!

We have stayed at the Best Western Lampert just a few blocks north of the French Quarter and it was fine.

We are staying in December at the Holiday Inn on Rue Dauphine without a problem and got an AAA discount.

We just stayed at the Ramada Metairie and we were pleasantly surprised. Very clean with friendly staff. Nice breakfast. We stayed for cruise parking. They take you to port and you will have no trouble getting taxi from the port. Very reasonably priced. High recommend!

try looking in to Sleep Inn & Suites in Metarie or Sleep Inn New Orleans Airport in Kenner.

Both are reasonably priced. Note that Sleep Inn & Suites in Metarie only has 19 on site parking spaces, but guests are allowed to park next door at the bank.

Joanna--Thanks for the heads up on the Ramada in Metairie. I was able to book it and hoping the free shuttle from airport and to the port will help with the extra I'm having to pay.

You mentioned after your cruise there was no problem find a taxi to the airport. Do you remember what the charge was?

I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this post, but I have more information to share. I did book the Ramada, Metairie on 11/17 because there was not much else available.

The price was $179 tax included. It has shuttle from airport, but you have to pay $10 each to get to the port. Because of the Saints game and convention, they are not offering the cruise package. Someone mention that they thought it was unsafe to cross the hwy to get to the shopping mall. I'm wondering if that's where the nearest places to eat are? I may end out switching hotels again! Hopefully someone whose stayed there reads this and can fill me in on details.

My priority for my New Orleans trips is to enjoy the eats and entertainment this great city has to offer. With that the hotel location is essential for me. So, you may want to determine if you are going to "do" anything before you stay out by the airport which will have you twiddling your thumbs, perhaps. For my travels, it is well worth the cost to have the convenient location I want.

I mention on the French Market post about buying points, which can work in some cases. BUT you have to make sure that rooms are available for point usage, and immediately after purchasing your points, book your room. An example was with the La Quinta, which right now have a discount. Ends up being about $140+++ a night with the point purchase.

I have done this once when I decided to stay longer and I needed extra nights for Jazz Fest. With rooms over $400 per night, it was a bargain to use points.

We stayed at the Doubletree this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. We've also stayed at the Drury and it was wonderful. Great place to eat is Deanie's Seafood on Iberville, just off Bourbon St. Also Mothers is a great eating place. Cafe Du Monde is a must see/go to. If you want a great tour do the swamp tour by Cajun Encounters. They will pick you up and you will see dozens of alligators and lots of wildlife.

Archived