Question about drinking on Carnival

Please no flames, this is an honest question I would like people to answer.:o Our friends just got back from their first Carnival cruise, and they were very surprised at how much drinking was going on on the cruise. I know people have labeled Carnival lines as the "party" cruiseline, but I was wondering if that is true or not. We are planning on going on a Carnival cruise after the new year, but we are not drinkers, so wanted to know (from people who have been on Carnival AS WELL as other cruiselines) if there really is more drunkeness on Carnival that other lines.

As someone that has cruised Carnival, NCL, Costa, Celebrity, and Royal I can tell you I drank just as much on the Carnival cruises as I did on the other lines. I doubt you will notice how much the other passengers are drinking.

Our Family is basically Non Drinker's, We only had 2 drinks in last year..On CCL trip and they were the Moca drinks so not really a drink.

We just cruised Spring Break, To be honest we only saw 2 that may have drank too much. I was a mid age or older woman..But she was real funny not out of control. She was actually on a game on stage..LOL Other was a under age gal that may have had 1 to many. So all in all prime time party season we didn't notice any issues. All were having fun.

I noticed more drinking on my Royal Caribbean cruise than my Carnival cruises. The Independence of the Seas had more bars though.

As big as the ship I dont think you will notice and it depends on the time you go try going on spring break then you will see plenty of drinking

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

That is true and from what I've read here, the shorter cruises tend to be a little more of a party crowd.

I think shorter cruises have more drinking? What ship were your friends on and how long was the cruise?

the only problems I have run into with drunks were both on RCL.

Lets be honest there is a lot of drinking on cruises.. but I would not say more so on Carnival than some other lines.

The shorter the cruise ... the more drinking because people feel they must cram a lot more into fewer days of fun.

I've sailed on four different lines. I think it probably depends on the mix of passengers. The rowdiest was a 7-day NCL over spring break, the most sedate was a Christmas cruise on Princess. Our Disney and Carnival cruises were somewhere in between. All cruises seem to have more of a party atmosphere around the pool areas and late evening.

Please no flames, this is an honest question I would like people to answer.:o Our friends just got back from their first Carnival cruise, and they were very surprised at how much drinking was going on on the cruise. I know people have labeled Carnival lines as the "party" cruiseline, but I was wondering if that is true or not. We are planning on going on a Carnival cruise after the new year, but we are not drinkers, so wanted to know (from people who have been on Carnival AS WELL as other cruiselines) if there really is more drunkeness on Carnival that other lines.

If you are not drinkers then I would suggest not drinking. What others drink

will not effect you unless you want it to. I have seen drunks on all lines

I have been on and out at a local restaurant! They are everywhere not just

on cruise ships. If you go looking for them and making note of them I am sure

you will see how many there are. Me? I would rather just enjoy myself. :)

We are "light" drinkers, meaning we only have a few drinks on a cruise, but more than what we'd drink at home. I've never been bothered by others drinking or rowdiness on CCL. But if you are bothered by someone else's drinking, there are other places to go on the ship to get away from them.

The only time I have encountered a drunk was a CC member who organized an all-you-can drink party that followed the regular CC get together. We ran into him on the elevator and he was definitely three sheets to the wind! We don't drink and rarely go into the bars, which is probably why we don't see many drunks! [bTW, this was on Carnival]

One thing to remember: it's safer to drink on a cruise. No driving. Anymore, it's tough to go out and not drink because of the hazards. So some may overindulge, not needing a breathalyzer.

We just got off the carnival splendor sailing out of ny. My 8th carnival cruise and 24th overall sailing. I am a long time reader of cc but this is my 1st ever writing. Your question compels a brutally honest response.

Carnival has a new money making policy. An all inclusive alcohol drinking deal just like the soda policy but with a few interesting twists. Passengers can get upto 15 drinks a day for $42.95 per day. You must purchase this package for each day of the sailing and all adults in the cabin must purchase it if one person in the cabin signs up.

This new policy was clearly visible our 8 day splendor cruise which sailed on may 1st. Many of the passengers taking advantage of all you can drink were blitzed on a regular basis. No one bothered us. However, they were often loud particularly by the pools and hot tubs. It also made the evenings quite obnoxious. I would not want to bring small kids on carnival.

My family has been carnival fans for many years. However, this new policy has caused us to rethink cruising on carnival. We will look elsewhere as long as this foolish policy exists. This can only lead to future problems for passengers and carnival.

We just got off the carnival splendor sailing out of ny. My 8th carnival cruise and 24th overall sailing. I am a long time reader of cc but this is my 1st ever writing. Your question compels a brutally honest response.

Carnival has a new money making policy. An all inclusive alcohol drinking deal just like the soda policy but with a few interesting twists. Passengers can get upto 15 drinks a day for $42.95 per day. You must purchase this package for each day of the sailing and all adults in the cabin must purchase it if one person in the cabin signs up.

This new policy was clearly visible our 8 day splendor cruise which sailed on may 1st. Many of the passengers taking advantage of all you can drink were blitzed on a regular basis. No one bothered us. However, they were often loud particularly by the pools and hot tubs. It also made the evenings quite obnoxious. I would not want to bring small kids on carnival.

My family has been carnival fans for many years. However, this new policy has caused us to rethink cruising on carnival. We will look elsewhere as long as this foolish policy exists. This can only lead to future problems for passengers and carnival.

Did you know other lines have all you can drink packages?

Sent using my Commodore 64

The other cruise lines now offer all inclusive drink packages and very few impose any type of limitations on number of drinks.

Unfortunately at the end of the day its still a business and these drinkers keep the cruise prices down, ever wonder why disney is always expensive, not much drinking.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I was on Oasis last May and Disney Dream in December. Neither had this policy.

I don't mind drinking on a Cruise Ship. However, encouraging everyone in a room to have to sign up for an all inclusive alcohol policy can have an effect on other passengers.

Someone asked for information about excessive drinking on Carnival Ships. For the first time in my 24 cruises I saw a policy which had a real negative impact on the conduct of numerous passengers.

If you are not drinkers then I would suggest not drinking. What others drink will not effect you unless you want it to. .... Me? I would rather just enjoy myself. :)

I disagree with both these points. I have never regularly seen people drinking more in a vacation setting than on Carnival ships. Perhaps that's because on regular vacations, I'm not inclined to spend 8 hours a day sitting in a chair in a bar.

On sea days, there are plenty of groups who will, almost literally, sit around and drink all day. They order beers by the bucket (or whatever) and it doesn't stop. There are plenty of CC members who have posted (boasted?) about the size of their bar bills. Do the math.

Does drinking buckets of beer make them falling-down drunk by dinner time? I don't know. But I do know that lound, boisterous drunks are considerably more annoying when you're not drinking much yourself. If you're an in-between drinker, I'd suggest drinking more than less. The compulsive drinkers will seem less annoying if you've had a couple yourself.

Otherwise, the loud, obnoxious way that drinkers carry on will almost certainly affect you (by having a negative effect), regardless whether you want it to or not.

We are not drinkers, family with 4 kids, but I do like an occasional glass of wine or a mixed drink. Im no prude but I am not one to drink in excess either!

Having said this........ We were more effected by the smokers than we were by the drinkers on our cruises, so if I were you I would not stress about something so little as a few tipsy people on a ship big enough to hold a couple thousand passengers :)

I was on Oasis last May and Disney Dream in December. Neither had this policy. I don't mind drinking on a Cruise Ship. However, encouraging everyone in a room to have to sign up for an all inclusive alcohol policy can have an effect on other passengers.

Someone asked for information about excessive drinking on Carnival Ships. For the first time in my 24 cruises I saw a policy which had a real negative impact on the conduct of numerous passengers.

I guess the problem is that if they had an unlimited drink package (and if 15 drinks isn't effectively unlimited, then think about what that means) but didn't require all parties from the same cabin to sign up, then it would be pretty easy for a couple to game the system by having one of them sign up and ordering drinks all day for both.

We have cruised a lot... and frankly, I have never really observed drunk or plastered, obnoxious, out of control folks. We have observed a few having a good time but not necessarily drunk and disorderly. (And we have a few holiday cruises under our belts as well.)

That said, it does not mean that folks don't get drunk or disorderly from time to time. We just haven't ran into them or observed it. And yes, we tend to sail 7 day cruises.

Is there a lot of drinking on a cruise? Yes, the bars are open, people are on vacation, and you will see lots of people enjoying adult beverages. If that offends you, you might want to look at a different type of vacation. It doesn't matter what cruise line it is, it is happening.

But, is Carnival the drunk and disorderly, PARTY ship where everyone is drinking 24/7? Not in my book.

If you are doing on a 3-5 day cruise, you will find a younger crowd who might drink more on the cruise. My wife and I have done nothing but 6, 7 or 8 day cruises - she maybe has 2 drinks a day on board, if that. I can drink but tend not to because of the prices and stick to my own champagne that I bring on board. That said, we've never had an issue with over-drinkers.

People drink .... well, a lot do and some drink too much, but it's not only on cruises. You see it everywhere. Granted being on vacation and also not having to drive will make people more comfortable with consuming more than usual, but basically I think if people really want to drink and over indulge, they will do it no matter where they are or what kind of drink 'package' is available. My husband likes a drink, but is not what I would call a big drinker and I don't drink at all, but I'll tell ya .... he loves going to the Diamond Lounge before dinner and getting a buzz on!! :) And, since he never gets obnoxious, I really don't mind at all. Actually, he's kind of funny! :) We sometimes stay out late, but most times after dinner and the show and maybe a walk around the ship or a quick stop at one of the clubs, we go back to our cabin and enjoy our balcony and the ocean. I've been on many cruises and have seen people who have probably had too much from time to time, but nothing really terrible and we've been on a lot of cruises....RCI, Carnival and HAL. I agree with the posters that say the shorter the cruise the more drinking. Actually I've heard that those are really more of 'booze cruises' than longer ones. My feeling is go and enjoy yourself ... if someone has too much to drink, go somewhere else ... the ship sure is big enough. Enjoy yourself, that's what you're there for! :)

Archived