Question about drinking on Carnival

We don't drink any more or less on Carnival than we do on any other cruise line!

One thing I've noticed is it's very often the folks who seldom drink at home are the most likely to become "over-served". Especially when they are drinking the foo-foo drinks that just taste so good they don't realize how much alcohol they are actually drinking. :D

LuLu

~~~~

As a veteran of 28 cruises, here is my experience. Carnival attracts a younger demographic, so that equals more drinking overall. The weekender cruises definately attract the party crowd. Some folks try to get in all the booze they can in the short time they are on the ship. They are even at the bar while waiting to debark. The longer cruises, especially when school is in session attracts a more civil crowd. Royal Caribbean definately attracts a high class, older crowd, so definately less wild partying. These are just generalizations, your experience may vary.

High class? So if we cruise Carnival does that make us third class passengers? I saw just as many people drinking on my Royal Caribbean cruise as I do on my Carnival cruises. They have the same type of waiters walking around the lido deck pushing the same kind of alcoholic drinks as Carnival has.

High class? So if we cruise Carnival does that make us third class passengers? I saw just as many people drinking on my Royal Caribbean cruise as I do on my Carnival cruises. They have the same type of waiters walking around the lido deck pushing the same kind of alcoholic drinks as Carnival has.

My bad, I meant higher class. As far as you being 3rd class, how would I know?

Just don't wander (accidently, due to being unable to fine a seat near the buffet serving lines) into the smokers area and cough, due to the high amount of cocktails the night before.

The daggers are flying.

CCL does have more heavy drinkers than other lines.

:confused::confused::confused: Do you have data to back that up? I saw far more people staggering on my Princess cruise than any of my 7-day Carnival cruises.

What bothers you, what I said or you really know its true.

You see the same group of drinkers at the pool bar every day, drinking buckets of beer.

I never understand why people worry so much about how much other people drink on cruises. People are on vacay, why can't they enjoy their spirits?

Hope you guys aren't on my upcoming cruise with my family and I. It's about 30 of us going and we're ALL purchasing the Cheers package.

The other cruise lines now offer all inclusive drink packages and very few impose any type of limitations on number of drinks.

Very true. I had the drink package on Royal my last cruise. The drinks were truely unlimited and they were very strong drinks.

Funny thing though. I was out last night doing karaoke and got more of a buzz than I ever did on the ship. We were cabbing it of course. I think in a social setting with strangers you tend to be more inhibited than in a gathering of friends.

Bottom line is, it's not the package, it's the person drinking and how responsible they are about it.

I have only been on one cruise, so my observations and opinion are not as valid as others on this board. Our cruise was a spring break cruise, 5 nights. We did see some people who had drank a lot. They may have talked loudly but there was no one who was "in your face" or cursing a lot. There were plenty of drinkers and lots of booze, but it did not affect our cruise.

I am a frequent poster on another travel board and these types of threads appear there as well. I am always surprised at the number of people who seem irritated by other vacationers/cruisers who drink. So just plain loud people who don't drink, would they bother you? I know people who curse a lot without drinking, would they both you? If someone is really "in your face" thatis another matter altogether and security should be called. I can't imagine that that occurs with any frequency.

I've been on a lot of vacations and seen plenty of drinking. I don't remember any time when someone drunkenly harassed us or caused us to have a bad vacation.

If this would become a problem during a cruise, go sit somewhere else. DH didn't care for the loud music at the pool so we moved up near the area where the kids get in line for the slides. You could go sit in the Serenity area. There are other places. But what other people are doing/drinking shouldn't ruin your cruise.

You see the same group of drinkers at the pool bar every day, drinking buckets of beer.

What is wrong with them sitting at the pool bar drinking beer? They are of age, have the money to buy it, and aren't hurting anyone. It's their vacation.

What is wrong with them sitting at the pool bar drinking beer? They are of age, have the money to buy it, and aren't hurting anyone. It's their vacation.

Sounds like my gang when we go on cruises . That is how we spend our sea days , and not only do we not bother anyone , we usuallly meet a lot of fun people , who end up joining us. :)

Gotta be honest. I have been a 9-1-1 dispatcher for 29 years and my dad was a firefighter for 35.. Never kenw a firefighter (or cop or EMT ) adverse to knocking a few (or more ) back.

I never understand why people worry so much about how much other people drink on cruises. People are on vacay, why can't they enjoy their spirits?

Hope you guys aren't on my upcoming cruise with my family and I. It's about 30 of us going and we're ALL purchasing the Cheers package.

This made me LOL - have a few for me as well!

It doesn't bother me, I was simply asking if you have data to back up your assertion. Without data, it's simply speculation on your part. As the saying goes, in God we trust; all others bring data. :p

Sitting at the pool bar and drinking beer doesn't necessarily equate to being a "heavy drinker." I drink very little and you won't find me drinking buckets of beer at the pool bar, but I certainly don't judge those who may want to down a few beers on vacation. And, I'm sure significant alcohol is consumed on other cruise lines as well.

I can only speak for myself, but on 5 previous cruises (4 on Carnival and 1 on Royal) I have never experienced and loud and rowdy drunks. I think there are alot of ppl that look for things to worry about. Instead of looking forward to the positives of vacationing the try to think of every thing that could possible go wrong and they become consumed with the "potential" negative and their imagination runs wild with images of wild, half naked drunks running around with lampshades on their heads! Chill folks; it ain't that serious.

every line is going to have their excessive drinkers. there were a good number on our miracle cruise last summer but it seemed like less than the number of excessive drinkers on royals liberty of the seas -- but liberty held like 3500 people and the miracle like 2000 so a lot more ppl. I think it depends on the shop and the people and the time of the cruise

People worry because it is their vacation too. Here are some things I observed on my first Carnival cruise.

Guy upchucking in the elevator just as the door opened and I was about to step on:eek:

Rowdys going down our hall knocking on doors at 3 am looking for "Angie"

Other rowdys arguing on the way back to their cabin again at 3 am.

Drunken arguments around the pool

My cruises on other lines were not to the Caribbean so I don't know yet if this is typical on other lines. My last Carnival cruise was in Europe, so none of that behavior there either.

As someone who did alcohol metabolism research at a medical school in my younger days, I will say that if you are getting your moneys worth out of the cheers program by drinking 6-7 drinks or more a day, and if you drink half that amount most days, you run a great risk of devloping liver and pancreas problems, esophpgeal cancer, and dementia especially if you are female.

Also, as a former resident of St Thomas, 3000 sailors on shore leave is much worse than any cruise ship, at least until the shore patrol comes by.

People worry because it is their vacation too. Here are some things I observed on my first Carnival cruise.

Guy upchucking in the elevator just as the door opened and I was about to step on:eek:

My cruises on other lines were not to the Caribbean so I don't know yet if this is typical on other lines. My last Carnival cruise was in Europe, so none of that behavior there either.

As someone who did alcohol metabolism research at a medical school in my younger days, I will say that if you are getting your moneys worth out of the cheers program by drinking 6-7 drinks or more a day, and if you drink half that amount most days, you run a great risk of devloping liver and pancreas problems, esophpgeal cancer, and dementia especially if you are female.

Also, as a former resident of St Thomas, 3000 sailors on shore leave is much worse than any cruise ship, at least until the shore patrol comes by.

People throw up in elevators and knock on doors on cruises in their sober state so your point is pretty null and void.

Anything you do in life, there's a risk that comes with it. It's your choice if you want to let the chance of this or that happening to you hold you back...or just live!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You better watch out because I see you are sailing on the Breakaway. Norwegian Cruise lines serves alcohol too. In fact it was on my NCL cruise that I saw the worst drinking. So beware. This time they may upchuck on you and Angie may have a twin that is lost too.

After 37 years of cruising on numerous cruiselines, we took our first Carnival cruise in January on Liberty. What struck my husband and I was the emphasis on drinking the was stressed by the cruise staff (All night pub crawls announced each night by the cuise director) and in the daily schedule given out. Yes, other cruiselines do have a drink of the day, but bottomless jugs of Magaritas and other deals that encourage over-indulging was daily fare on Carnival.

Does Carnival attract heavy drinkers? You bet. Just look at the number of threads on this forum that involve alcohol, whether it be smuggling, the drink program, bar bills, or other alcohol related threads, as compared to other forums for other cruiselines. The proof is provided by the customers themselves that are Cruise Critic members.

After 37 years of cruising on numerous cruiselines, we took our first Carnival cruise in January on Liberty. What struck my husband and I was the emphasis on drinking the was stressed by the cruise staff (All night pub crawls announced each night by the cuise director) and in the daily schedule given out. Yes, other cruiselines do have a drink of the day, but bottomless jugs of Magaritas and other deals that encourage over-indulging was daily fare on Carnival.

Does Carnival attract heavy drinkers? You bet. Just look at the number of threads on this forum that involve alcohol, whether it be smuggling, the drink program, bar bills, or other alcohol related threads, as compared to other forums for other cruiselines. The proof is provided by the customers themselves that are Cruise Critic members.

All night pub crawls?! I hope they have that on the Breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived