Your Fav book to read at Sea

WesW

as a light hearted topic, will throw this out....our newest read:

http://www.coonts.com/books/tommy-carmellini-novels/the-pirate-alley

Wes, that sounds like my kinda book so will put it on my list to read. I'm reading Clive Cussler at the moment. I've got quite a few of his that I will be able to finish off whilst on my Crystal cruise in 2 weeks.

Cheers

Jennifer

Wes, as an ex-military man, u might like "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. Truly amazing and very emotional story of his fight for life in Afghanistan after his mission goes seriously wrong. A true American hero.

Cheers

Jennifer

Thanks all for your participation in this lighthearted thread--and thank you for the book recommendations.

Bill, the only Navy perspective I prefer to read is not a Navy book but a headline hopefully next December; Army beats Navy :).

Have read all of Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels--began reading Clive in the early eighties. However, feel now he has taken a page from the James Patterson business model (prefers $$ over quality writing) when writing novels by co-authoring most books to gain more $$$. IMO, most of Cusslers latest (last five years, even those co-authored with his son) are much, much less enjoyable than his earlier works. In fact, do not read Cussler any more. Now reading Brad Taylor (Pike Logan series) books, and am very anxious for Brad Thor and my fav author Daniel Silva to release their new books in July (just in time for our Northern European voyage on aboard the Cloud. Also, looking for Vince Flynn's newest Mitch Rapp novel, The Survivor, due this fall.

love Reich--have read all his novels (beginning with the jewel, Numbered Account) in the vein of The Numbered Account, his new book, The Prince of Risk will be released Dec 3rd.

I try not to board without at least one mystery from James Lee Burke. He has won two Edgar Awards for his crime novels. He has at three different series: Dave Robicheaux (an ex-New Orleans cop), Hackberry Holland (an ex-Texas Ranger) and Billy Bob Holland (a Montana policeman). His work paints beautiful pictures, his characters are well developed (with villains reminiscent of a Stephen King novel), and each mystery has an unexpected twist at the end. A great escape.

We're also on Jennifer's Crystal voyage next week, with stops in Newport and Bar Harbor. So I'll reread The Great Gatsby (instead of seeing the new movie.. ).

Jan Morris' Venice is a highly engaging, readable introduction to that fascinating city. I found other books about Venice terribly dry and hard to get into, but Morris is a wonderful teller of stories.

Also for the Baltic: Suzanne Massie's Land of the Firebird. (She co-authored Nicholas and Alexandra with then-husband Robert Massie.)

For those whose itinerary includes Venice I can heartily recommend Donna Leon's excellent series of detective novels featuring Commissario Brunetti and set in Venice. That Ms Leon is a professor of literature shows in the impeccable style of her writing but it is so accessible; none of this ''clever'' writing. Good plots, brilliant characters and an exquisite sense of place.

And all available for Kindle, I believe.

Some wonderful recommendations, thanks for taking the time to post.

Etual324/Eugene, clearly understand your preference for menu reading, they are written at the very elementary comprehension level--perfect for Giant's fans.

btw, if you're a David Baldacci fan (esp of his Wil Robbie series) you can go to Amazon digital and get the first eight chapters of his new novel, "The Hit" for your kindle, for free now. pls see this link:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hit-David-Baldacci/dp/1455521213

For those whose itinerary includes Venice I can heartily recommend Donna Leon's excellent series of detective novels featuring Commissario Brunetti and set in Venice. That Ms Leon is a professor of literature shows in the impeccable style of her writing but it is so accessible; none of this ''clever'' writing. Good plots, brilliant characters and an exquisite sense of place.

And all available for Kindle, I believe.

What an excellent suggestion! I find myself salivating at the descriptions of the meals in her novels. Now, I can read a chapter, and then walk down to La Terrazza and experience the meal first hand!

Thank you, tothesunset!

For our (now not so recent, 'tho it seems yesterday) Canal transit on the Whisper I elected to begin re-reading the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brien for the 3rd time. This time they're on the Kindle. Still a great read: totally engaging characters, good action, history.

Signed up for the Galapagos so working my way through Darwin's two books. Also just finished a rather silly book- Little Tiny Teeth (A Gideon Oliver Mystery) by Aaron Elkins- we are doing a trip on the upper Amazon before the Galapagos. I try to find books related to the area I am traveling to- read piles of books on Africa before our safari.

For Italy, I could also recommend the Jonathan Argyll series (art history mysteries) by Ian Pears. Light reading but great while you are there.

Would also recommend The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain for all cruisers- the original cruise journal. Well- I guess it is the original. Certainly a good one.

Archived