Gold panning on our own at port of call

tracyfitzs

Hi I'm on the NCL Sun June 1 visiting Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. We have one excursion booked in each port but I am interested in panning for gold but don't want to have to book it. Are there any panning places in walking distance to any of my ports? If not what is the most convenient place to go without booking an excursion? Thanks!

No there isn't any walk up gold panning based on your list. I also do not know of any gold panning that does not require a tour or salmon bake purchase.

If you are independent, Crow Creek Mine would be an easy add on. BUT you would need, time and a car out of Anchorage.

You can't just set out to go pan for gold. Gold claims in Alaska are fiercely enforced often by the owners with GUNS. You can get in big fat trouble fast.

I am very, very careful when walking around Alaska not to be mistaken for someone nosey about gold claims.

According to NCL's website, they have a "Historic Gold Mine & Pan for Gold" tour, which sounds like one we did on HAL 2 years ago. The salmon bake didn't excite us, since we can do one just by driving an hour, or I'll just BBQ my own salmon.

We went to Alaska last year with NCL In Juneau we rented a car and went to mendenhall glacier and also drove to a gold mining museum, they sell gold panning trays and there is a creek at the foothill they let you pan in. I took my twins (12 yr old boys) and we found several flakes. The women at the museum gave us several hints on how to do it. About the time we were leaving a tour van pulled up and they began to instruct them on how to pan. You can't walk there but it was an easy drive. I rented from rent a wreck which is within a mile or two from the cruise port.

I found this place in Skagway: http://www.backalleyrockshop.com/ It's right off the main drag in an alleyway. Not sure how good the place is, but I, like you, have an excursion booked in each port and wanted to do some Gold panning on top of it on my own. I'll be there on May 22nd and we'll see how it goes. :)

Thanks! This is what we're looking for. Let me know how it is if you get a chance, since your only a week ahead! Have fun!

I found this place in Skagway: http://www.backalleyrockshop.com/ It's right off the main drag in an alleyway. Not sure how good the place is, but I, like you, have an excursion booked in each port and wanted to do some Gold panning on top of it on my own. I'll be there on May 22nd and we'll see how it goes. :)

This is likely 100% fake, with seeded panning.

If you have a day in Anchorage, you can rent a car a pan up in the park at Hatcher's Pass. Used to be one of the biggest gold mines in the world..now closed and is a park and you can pan up there but MAKE sure that you are in park boundaries. It is almost legal to shoot one if found panning on someone's claim...sorta like breaking into someone's house and robbing them.

Archived