First Grand Suite Ever!

We were in GS 1598 on the Freedom this past December and found all the amenities wonderful. Willie was awesome and got to know us very quickly. Don't hesitate to use him as he loves to keep the guests happy.

Our cabin is very close to what you had, 1582. I've already email Willie about putting our name on the list for a Labadee cabana. We have cabanas twice in the past and that is one of the highlights of our cruise.

We did the same surprise for our daughter once, but she was astute enough to realize something was up when her SeaPass card was gold.
You know I was thinking about that too Bob. I wonder if she will notice. I know in the past we had JS and on our Set Sail Pass is says suite so that shouldn't surprise her. Let's see if she notices the difference with the Gold card. :p:cool:

IN GENERAL, this has been my experience:

Shows - no, but they open up that section to anyone 15 minutes before show time

Tender - no experience with this

Check-in - yes

Thanks for filling me in!

Congrats on your first suite...we've only done a GS on Monarch, and I know it can't compare to the newer ships. Our first on a "big ship" will be in July,,and I'm excited too! Our fav perks are the full menu room service breakfast...my kids swear that the breakfast potatoes you get are the best onboard! And the simple, silly one...they don't scan your seapass for pool towels, just flash that gold card and you're good to go.

OK that was definitely something I didn't know about the towels. Is it also true that they have the towels in your cabin and you don't have to go to get them near the pool area?

Our GS was a surprise for my husband. When he saw the gold card and asked why we had it, I just said something like, "How do I know? I guess they changed the look of the seapass." He seemed to accept that answer.

Now, granted he was totally oblivious to everything before we left - didn't notice that Set Sail Pass said "suite" on it.

Our GS was a surprise for my husband. When he saw the gold card and asked why we had it, I just said something like, "How do I know? I guess they changed the look of the seapass." He seemed to accept that answer.

Now, granted he was totally oblivious to everything before we left - didn't notice that Set Sail Pass said "suite" on it.

My DD tends to be the same way. I usually do all the planning and she just goes along. One time I surprised her with a JS for her 18th birthday on our Oasis of the Seas cruise. I didn't say anything to her until we were checking our luggage. She turned to me and said "We are in a JS right?" I guess I spoiled her over the years. :rolleyes: I will try your tactic too and see if she even says anything about the Gold card when she gets it. I think she just assumes we are in a JS. I really want to try to keep it a secret until we get to the cabin. :)

Thanks for filling me in!

OK that was definitely something I didn't know about the towels. Is it also true that they have the towels in your cabin and you don't have to go to get them near the pool area?

On our last two GS's there were no pool towels in the cabins but other times they were there. Ask Willy to play his guitar. He usually saves it for the last night.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Just returned from the Freedom in a GS. (I was on the Explorer last year in a GS.) I saw many differences. Curious to know if they "downgraded" suite benefits this year?

1. On Freedom last month, we still had to get our gold cards scanned for towels. I was told they do this on all ships now. (On Explorer last year we showed card, got towels and never had to worry about returning them...although we did return them.)

2. Portofinos was never available for seating in lieu of WJ. At least it wasn't told to us. We inquired on first day and were looked at like we had three heads.

3. No more chocolates on pillows.

4. Never even knew I could order a full breakfast from room service. I was able to last year on Explorer but wasn't given as an obvious option on Freedom last month.

Did they make a lot of changes or did we miss a lot? :)

(Oh and I couldn't stand the "suite guest private seating area at the pool" . It was way too high and so very windy. )

On our last two GS's there were no pool towels in the cabins but other times they were there. Ask Willy to play his guitar. He usually saves it for the last night.

Will definitely do that Gregg, thanks! Is Concierge large? I know on the Oasis class ships, they are large and overlook the Aqua Theater. On EOS the Concierge is small too.

Will definitely do that Gregg, thanks! Is Concierge large? I know on the Oasis class ships, they are large and overlook the Aqua Theater. On EOS the Concierge is small too.

Haven't done a GS on the big ships yet. From what I've read, Freedom's is not nearly as large but we never had a problem getting a seat. Had a little trouble on Navigator in December but that was because of Diamonds in December.

Just returned from the Freedom in a GS. (I was on the Explorer last year in a GS.) I saw many differences. Curious to know if they "downgraded" suite benefits this year?

1. On Freedom last month, we still had to get our gold cards scanned for towels. I was told they do this on all ships now. (On Explorer last year we showed card, got towels and never had to worry about returning them...although we did return them.)

2. Portofinos was never available for seating in lieu of WJ. At least it wasn't told to us. We inquired on first day and were looked at like we had three heads.

4. Never even knew I could order a full breakfast from room service. I was able to last year on Explorer but wasn't given as an obvious option on Freedom last month.

(Oh and I couldn't stand the "suite guest private seating area at the pool" . It was way too high and so very windy. )

Will let you know how I make out on my our cruise with all of the amenities too. Happy Cruising!

Thanks all for your wonderful answers. I cannot wait to experience my first Grand Suite. I will definitely be spoiled for sure. Did I also mention that my DD has NO idea I booked a GS? She just thinks we are in a Junior Suite like we always do. I'm not going to tell her until we board. I doubt she will even notice until I take her to our cabin. :D:eek:

To continue the surprise be ready to have a story about the gold sea pass cards you'll get.

Skip

Hi All,

We have our first Grand Suite on Freedom of the Seas May 26th. We usually book Junior Suites on our cruises. I know about all the perks you get, as we are Diamond + C&A members. Tell me your favorite amenity or thing about having a Grand Suite. Plus any secrets I need to know. Very excited!!! :D:)

Best perk by far is having Breakfast and Lunch in Chops. You never have to deal with the crowds to find a table. You can get cooked to order food, and it is better than what the Windjammer serves. For example, on the Mariner, my partner got fresh Eggs Benedict most mornings and cooked to order Salmon for lunch.

It is very nice to have the Gold Card to take advantage of this benefit. I think it is even better than the nightly concierge cocktail hour. this lunch benefit is something that only goes to Suite and Pinnacle passengers.

Oh, this is only good on Voyager and Freedom class ships

When we walked into our GS on the Liberty this month there was a binder which contained the menus for breakfast, lunch, and dinner

When we walked into our GS on the Liberty this month there was a binder which contained the menus for breakfast, lunch, and dinner

Even better because I know I'm apt to forgot everything we are entitled to! :eek::p

smoosh21- When were you on Freedom, please? I will be very, very disappointed if gold cards are not allowed access to Chops/Portofino for breakfast and lunch as melrosgirl reported. We enjoyed that perk two years ago on Freedom. In fact, I believe that perk is listed on the web site as for Voyager and Freedom class ships?

1. Big bathroom with full-size tub and 2 granite-top sinks, 2 medicine cabinets, 4 drawers for stowage, and lots of cabinet space under sinks.

2. Separate area for sunbathing (never had to fight chair hogs) where a full-length gold-colored beach towel is provided on each lounger on some ships, like the Explorer, or if it's not provided you can go to where towels are given, flash your Gold Card and they just hand you towels, period.

3. Reserved seating in most venues, just showup 15-30 minutes before the show and pretty sure you'll get seated.

4. Free Booze in Concierge Lounge before and/or after dinner...enough said.

To continue the surprise be ready to have a story about the gold sea pass cards you'll get.

Skip

Skip, I have a week to come up with my "story". Thanks, Happy Cruising! P.S. My big brother's name is Skip too. ;)

1. Big bathroom with full-size tub and 2 granite-top sinks, 2 medicine cabinets, 4 drawers for stowage, and lots of cabinet space under sinks.

2. Separate area for sunbathing (never had to fight chair hogs) where a full-length gold-colored beach towel is provided on each lounger on some ships, like the Explorer, or if it's not provided you can go to where towels are given, flash your Gold Card and they just hand you towels, period.

3. Reserved seating in most venues, just showup 15-30 minutes before the show and pretty sure you'll get seated.

4. Free Booze in Concierge Lounge before and/or after dinner...enough said.

Love all those thanks for sharing! Keep the comments coming everyone they are ALL greatly appreciated. I love hearing about your experiences.

smoosh21- When were you on Freedom, please? I will be very, very disappointed if gold cards are not allowed access to Chops/Portofino for breakfast and lunch as melrosgirl reported. We enjoyed that perk two years ago on Freedom. In fact, I believe that perk is listed on the web site as for Voyager and Freedom class ships?

I havent sailed a suite on Freedom Class in a suite, only Voyager Class ships. On those ships we got access in the specialty restaurant. ON the Voyager it was Portofinos as they didnt have a Chops. On the Mariner it was Chops.

The Suite perk information sheet I received stated that this perk was available on all Voyager and Freedom class ships. There was even one of those signs letting you know that it was for Gold Seapass passengers

You also get to order off the main dining room menu for room service. We did it twice when we didnt feel like going out. The staff was very friendly and even set up a table cloth and everything on the dining room table in suite

We stayed in a Grand Suite on Liberty for a Mediterranean cruise and really the best perk was the free drinks and great conversations we had with other people in the Concierge Lounge. All the perks may seem small individually but they really add up for an amazing vacation. For Oasis in 2 months my parents couldn't give up the suite and its perks, while my sister and I are staying in a connecting balcony room.

Thats funny you didn't have to deal with chair hogs up on the suite sunbathing area. We could never get chairs up there and always ended up finding free chairs towards the front of the ship. Go Figure!

I'm not a fan of where they have the suite guests in the pool area on the Freedom ships. It's much better on Oasis and Voyager ships. I will probably just sit in my usual spot on deck 12 near the Sky Bar. That's where I always plunk down with my stuff, so DD can always find me once she wakes up. :p

Hi! I too am going to be in my first Grand Suite (on my first RCI cruise:D), in January. Thanks, OP, for this thread and to everyone else for the great info about GS's!:)

A thread on the Carnival board about the decline in the comfort/quality of the beds got me thinking...

Can anyone tell me what the GS beds are like, firmness-wise? Are they pillowtop mattresses? Are they lumpy? Are they practically rock-hard, like Carnival's? If so, are mattress toppers or eggcrate pads available upon request from our room steward? Thanks!

Hi! I too am going to be in my first Grand Suite (on my first RCI cruise:D), in January. Thanks, OP, for this thread and to everyone else for the great info about GS's!:)

A thread on the Carnival board about the decline in the comfort/quality of the beds got me thinking...

Can anyone tell me what the GS beds are like, firmness-wise? Are they pillowtop mattresses? Are they lumpy? Are they practically rock-hard, like Carnival's? If so, are mattress toppers or eggcrate pads available upon request from our room steward? Thanks!

Congrats on your having your first GS too! So exciting! One day my goal is to experience an Owner's Suite and a Royal Loft Suite too....one can dream. :)

As far as beds on RCI, I find they are always comfy no more what cabin I've been in. The absolute most comfy beds for me were on the Enchantment of the Seas. I think they had just changed out the bedding around the time we cruised. Have a great cruise.

Archived