Seward to Anchorage transfer

shipsmail

Planning an Alaska cruise ending in Seward. What time is needed and what transfer is preferred to Anchorage airport. Is a noon time flight departure possible?

Thanks for the info.

It's a long drive - Google maps says 2.5 hours. IMO, it would be a real challenge to get to the airport in time for a noon flight, unless you're getting in super early, and you're able to get off the boat shortly thereafter. We have never made this drive ourselves, but that does sound like a good ballpark figure. We have driven to Whittier (which is closer), and Google says 1.5 hours, which fits with what we remember of that trip.

Suppose if you have online or mobile check-in, no bags to check at the airport, and premier status so you can jump the security lines (which were crazy long when we were there), you might be able to make a noon flight if you can leave by 8, and do not hit any traffic. Don't think I'd personally chance it.

We spent an enjoyable day in Seward at the end of a cruise a few years ago. We rented a car right near the ship docking terminal and spent the day exploring some of the parks in the area, then had an early dinner in town. Returned the car, and they drove us to the train station (very close by, but with our suitcases, it helped). Then, a 4-hour scenic train ride on the AK RR to Anchorage - from roughly 6-10 PM. From there, we had a hotel overnight and set out for Denali the next morning.

I'd try for a later departure, if you do need to leave from ANC the same day you disembark in Seward. Or, enjoy a day in Seward, take the train to ANC, and leave the next day if that's possible.

No experience with transfer options other than the train.

Am cruising the Shadow Anchorage to Vancouver June 6. Silversea's fare for this cruise includes the train trip from the Anchorage Airport train station to Seward. Documents state that check in begins at 10 am for those not on land tours. 12 noon for those on land tours. 4-1/2 hour train ride. Guests expected to board Shadow at 5:30 pm for 6 pm departure.

You might check if this is included for your cruise in reverse order.

(I am driving and touring beforehand on the Kenai Peninsula so will not take the train. Had to ask for earlier boarding than 5:30 pm when notifying Silversea that I was not taking their train trip).

Enjoy your cruise.

I enjoyed the train transfer which drops you at the airport.

As far as driving yourself, remember this is a scenic highway and as such you will be behind some sightseers traveling more slowly than you may wish.

A noon flight seems to me to be:

a much too harried way to end a relaxing cruise trying to make a tight schedule and

a prescription for heartache and the hassles of rescheduling a missed flight.

I should have added that a noon flight would be difficult. The train is 4-1/2 hours and drops you at the airport.

As to driving, we did a drive up the last time we did this cruise, and between disemmbarkation time, getting the rental car, dropping it off and checking in, I would recommend a flight after 4 pm. If you do drive, it is beautiful and worth taking time to view the scenery.

Archived