Barbeque Night

bobchico

Yes, the dining room is open for all sittings on the night of the BBQ. If you know the night before, it's always nice to let your waiter know you won't be at dinner the next night as you are going to the BBQ.

I was very glad the main diningroom was open as we all thought that the bbq was the leftovers from the bbq on HMC. Was not impressed at all but made for an adequate snack while waiting for our 8pm dinner time.

I was very glad the main diningroom was open as we all thought that the bbq was the leftovers from the bbq on HMC. Was not impressed at all but made for an adequate snack while waiting for our 8pm dinner time.

What ship were you on, shmily? It probably depends on the ship and the chef. The Volendam had fabulous steaks, seafood salads, and all kinds of choices I had never seen on BBQ night before. It may have been because we had NOT been to HMC so there were no leftovers to serve! ;)

I love the BBQ night on the ship. This past year on both the Zuiderdam and Volendam, we had great steaks, chicken, salmon, it was wonderful. Although the year before on the Rotterdam, it wasn't so good, they ran out of baked potatoes and salmon after only 1/2 hour into the BBQ. I also found the steak on the Rotterdam to be very fatty, but was pleased this past year with both ships BBQ's.

Food left over from the BBQ at HMC would never be served again on the ship. Everything I have ever seen at any of the BBQs has always been fresh and tasty.

Just a thought - the BBQ on our cruise on the Westerdam was from 5:30 - 7:30pm so most people had probably eaten by the time you got there waiting for your 8pm seating. You probably saw what was left, after everyone devoured the steaks, chicken, ribs, baked potatoes, corn on the cob, baked beans, all kinds of salads, fresh fruit and lots of desserts.

The dining room is open all nights at both sittings, even the BBQ night. You can go to the main dining room or the Pinnacle, which is also open if you don't want to go to the BBQ.

Westerdam - BBQ

On our back-to-back cruises in January, the BBQ was from 6 - 8.

Obviously it pays to check the daily schedule, because we were on the cruise in December and just in a couple of weeks, they obviously changed the times.

Does every cruise have a BBQ night? Specifically interested in the European cruises.

Usually there's something special around the Lido pool one night. It might be a German Fest, or some other specialized night, but there should be a festive night of some sort.

There may also be a BBQ-type luncheon one afternoon.

I love the BBQ night on the ship. This past year on both the Zuiderdam and Volendam, we had great steaks, chicken, salmon, it was wonderful. Although the year before on the Rotterdam, it wasn't so good, they ran out of baked potatoes and salmon after only 1/2 hour into the BBQ. I also found the steak on the Rotterdam to be very fatty, but was pleased this past year with both ships BBQ's.

Yes it was later in the time on the BBQ. We saw no steaks, just ribs and chicken which all four of us agreed tasted like left overs...even if they probably were not. I don't remember baked potatoes but there were salads, fruits and cheeses. I was thoroughly unimpressed but might have had a different view had I been there earlier in the evening.

Thanks for your spin on it.

Yes it was later in the time on the BBQ. We saw no steaks, just ribs and chicken which all four of us agreed tasted like left overs...even if they probably were not. I don't remember baked potatoes but there were salads, fruits and cheeses. I was thoroughly unimpressed but might have had a different view had I been there earlier in the evening.

Thanks for your spin on it.

Shmily - knowing that you live in close proximity to world famous "Kansas City BBQ" - the BBQ on the Zuiderdam couldn't compare...although it was still tasty - it just wasn't the BBQ that we are used to eating. That's not a slam on HAL or the Zuiderdam - just that when you're used to the (arguably) the best barbeque in the world, everything else just seems "okay".

Usually there's something special around the Lido pool one night. It might be a German Fest, or some other specialized night, but there should be a festive night of some sort.

There may also be a BBQ-type luncheon one afternoon.

Thanks for the information. Only 11 days left until we sail and everything I read on this board makes me more and more excited. :D

Marge

Being from Kansas City (Barbeque capital of the world!), I found the food that night so-so. I enjoy great barbeque and this is definately not it. We were on the 5/14 Zuiderdam and I was not impressed with this meal. In fact, we stopped eating the ribs and chicken and went to our regular dining seating where we had decent food. To most people, barbeque night on HAL may be okay, but for barbeque fanatics such as us, this is just an average meal.:(

Ray

We only went once, and that was on our last cruise on the Rotterdam. Neither of us thought it was great or fantastic. On a scale of 1 to 10 it was around a 3.

Neither of us will go again.

Archived