Breastfeeding Mamas!

LuvWilliam

My son will turn a year old two weeks before we leave for Independence of the Seas for an eight night trip. First time mommy here and I am exclusively breastfeeding. My parents are coming along with DH and I and they have offered to watch DS while we go out at night. (And I will be enjoying too many adult beverages to come back to nurse!) I am doing BLW (baby led weaning) We are vegan so we won't be transitioning the little guy to cows milk, but will be using almond or coconut milk so I'm not sure how much of my milk he will be taking. I am trying to figure out how to bring some pumped milk onboard. We will have a three hour flight before getting on the ship. Should I pump in the seven days before we leave and not freeze? Since its only good for 24 hours once defrosted. Should I just use a cooler and ice packs? My Dad mentioned dry ice but I believe it could be a burden. I'd love any ideas!

My son will turn a year old two weeks before we leave for Independence of the Seas for an eight night trip. First time mommy here and I am exclusively breastfeeding. My parents are coming along with DH and I and they have offered to watch DS while we go out at night. (And I will be enjoying too many adult beverages to come back to nurse!) I am doing BLW (baby led weaning) We are vegan so we won't be transitioning the little guy to cows milk, but will be using almond or coconut milk so I'm not sure how much of my milk he will be taking. I am trying to figure out how to bring some pumped milk onboard. We will have a three hour flight before getting on the ship. Should I pump in the seven days before we leave and not freeze? Since its only good for 24 hours once defrosted. Should I just use a cooler and ice packs? My Dad mentioned dry ice but I believe it could be a burden. I'd love any ideas!

I didn't breast feed, but I fly nearly every week for work. Check the TSA site for what is allowed for the flight (I believe that most ice/cold packs are allowed, but not dry ice, but I'm not sure). You don't want to show up at the airport with something not allowed or with more milk than they will let you carry on.

I wouldn't be as concerned about what they will allow you to carry on the ship as with the flight, but you may want to request a regular refrigerator from the special services department (from what I've read on here).

Can you take your pump and pump during the day, before you have any drinks? I BF my DD until she was 30 months. She really did not take milk from a bottle very well even though I worked 32 hours per week. By the time she was a year old, she was taking water from a cup. I could not get her to take ANY type of milk besides BM until she was almost 4. At a year, DD mostly just took solids and water when I was not around. She BF about 4-5 times per day and usually once during the night. The bedtime nursing will probably be the hardest one to skip. It was for us. Definitely ask for the medical fridge to store any of your pumped milk.

I would bring the pump and some non-frozen milk to get you going with your adult nights out ;). I'd hesitate with freezing, as airline delays always happen at the worst times... Mind you I made enough milk to feed two children, so supply was never a problem, I don't know how you do with pumping.

There are stats out there telling you how long you need to wait before pumping or feeding after alcohol consumption. I used a Canadian guide, so don't know what's available for other countries, but it listed a persons weight, number of standard drinks and how long it took for no detectable trace to be found in breast milk. I know it was 2 hours for 1 drink when I weighed 130 lbs :). Time goes down as weight goes up, but time goes up as number of drinks go up too!

Youngest DD is 14 months. I just finished weaning last week! *YAY*. I didn't like to carry a lot of milk on board. I was worried it might partially thaw. I would just pump prior to going out and leave what I pumped with my parents. In your case you will probably need enough milk for a few feedings. When you say "exclusively" are you not giving any solids yet either? DD was only taking milk about 3x a day anyway, because she was eating so much table food. It makes it a little easier if there are other foods they can give them to compensate for less milk. The other idea is to make your "drink" night later in the cruise. Pump a little extra each day and store it in the fridge.

My son weaned himself at 7 months...he wanted to EAT...not drink! My daughter nursed until 15 months but did eat other things...she wasn't ONLY on breast milk..

Your child should be eating some other foods by the time he is a year....so I wouldn't worry too much about exclusively nursing.

A drink or two (by me!) never hurt either of my kids via breast milk!!

I always carried frozen breast milk with me when I traveled in a small insulated bag. I did a lot of long trips (about 12 hours door to door) and the milk was a little thawed when I got there but not much. I don't think there is a problem refreezing if it is partially thawed. If you're worried, just thaw enough that will be used within 24 hours to have a bit of buffer and pump the rest during the day.

My DD was a nursing fiend at 1 and beyond. I took a cruise and brought my mom to babysit, and did a couple of excursions that were about 6-7 hours long, and she was fine with almond milk from the bottle. She is still nursing now at almost 3, btw, but not much.

I would bring your pump, and just pump once during the day (probably first thing in the morning) for a bedtime bottle. The rest of the time, kiddo can eat table food and other things. Kiddo should be firmly on a sippy cup by that point for other fluids, and a week of juice/alternative milks won't hurt kiddo. I wouldn't do it at home for our day-to-day life, but when we travel, kiddos get more juice and other things than normal.

We are sailing in 2 months and I am starting to wean him to formula. He will be a year old 2 weeks before we sail too! I was exclusively BFing and pumping during the work day, but my supply for pumping dwindled to nothing so I had to supplement. He's allergic to dairy so he's on soy formula for 2 bottles. You could always start weaning him early a bottle or two. As to the frozen BM, I don't know if I'd risk it. I would probably bring my pump and just pump a few times during the day for fresh milk. Im sure you can bring a supply of almond milk with you. We are brining soy milk for my little guy. I just emailed the special needs dept at Carnival. I'm sure RC has one too. I love baby led weaning. He is 10 almost 11 months now, and loves real food. He will eat almost anything. He will still eat some purees when he's feeling lazy. Have a great time.

Check the temp of the fridge you plan on storing the milk in. In our experience the fridges only are cold enough for cooling drinks (~65F) and not for keeping things fresh.

Our travel alarm clock has a thermometer.

I nursed until 2-2.5 years. Each child was different in terms of what they ate at 12 mths and whether they still nursed at night, so you'll probably have to wait and see. But I think I would save myself the difficulty of bringing pumped milk at that age. I would think you could give DS a nice long nurse before you go out, which will make it much easier for him to go to sleep, and then not nurse again until morning. At that age, they don't need to eat at night but many like to comfort nurse back to sleep during the night. DS might not see the bottle as a good equivalent, so I would practice having DH or someone else get him to sleep, so he's ready for the grandparents.

You might also bring a manual pump (like Avent Isis, or hand express if you can), so the grandparents will have some milk to give him. Pumping or expressing on the other side while he nurses would be most efficient.

Thank you everyone! I probably sound crazy planning this six months out but I like to hear from other moms how much their baby nursed at one year. I appreciate the ideas! I plan on going until DS decides to wean, whenever that may be! =)

Thank you everyone! I probably sound crazy planning this six months out but I like to hear from other moms how much their baby nursed at one year. I appreciate the ideas! I plan on going until DS decides to wean, whenever that may be! =)

I'm a planner, especially when it comes to traveling with kids, so it doesn't sound crazy at all to me.

In my experience, how much they eat at age one varies a lot. My oldest was sleeping soundly through the night and nursing at bedtime, nap, and morning. I didn't do anything to teach him to sleep through the night, he just did naturally. At the same age, my youngest was still nursing small amounts several times per night (we co-slept so I was barely waking up), but I know it was about comfort rather than a need to eat. Getting her to sleep without me would have been challenging, while it was no issue at all with my oldest.

I'm a planner, especially when it comes to traveling with kids, so it doesn't sound crazy at all to me.

In my experience, how much they eat at age one varies a lot. My oldest was sleeping soundly through the night and nursing at bedtime, nap, and morning. I didn't do anything to teach him to sleep through the night, he just did naturally. At the same age, my youngest was still nursing small amounts several times per night (we co-slept so I was barely waking up), but I know it was about comfort rather than a need to eat. Getting her to sleep without me would have been challenging, while it was no issue at all with my oldest.

I couldn't agree more. At 12 months, my oldest would nurse 3 times a day like clockwork, the youngest was so unpredictable it was driving me (the over-planning mom) crazy! If you know what your options are, you will be ready for anything :)

I was told when flying a month ago that any liquid on the flight would have to be discarded once we land. If you bring your pumped milk on the plane you can only bring what you would use for the flight. The rest would have to be put into your checked luggage.

See how your LO does with food later on and you might need a lot less milk than what you're planning on now.

I'm a FTM of a seven month old and I completely understand your need to plan!

I was told when flying a month ago that any liquid on the flight would have to be discarded once we land. If you bring your pumped milk on the plane you can only bring what you would use for the flight. The rest would have to be put into your checked luggage.

See how your LO does with food later on and you might need a lot less milk than what you're planning on now.

I'm a FTM of a seven month old and I completely understand your need to plan!

Was this an international flight? Liquids do not have to be discarded on landing on flights within the US.

Yes, the rule is that you can bring the amount of milk/formula for the flight, but if you don't use it all you don't have to throw it away. When I flew with DD I flew with double the formula needed for our flights in case of delays and had no issues.

Was this an international flight? Liquids do not have to be discarded on landing on flights within the US.

Yes, the rule is that you can bring the amount of milk/formula for the flight, but if you don't use it all you don't have to throw it away. When I flew with DD I flew with double the formula needed for our flights in case of delays and had no issues.

Yes it was international so I guess that's why they told me that!

By 12 months, my daughter would nurse once at bedtime, once in the middle of the night, and when going down for nap in the afternoon. All the rest of the time, she wanted "nack" (a snack---table food). She was way too busy exploring the world to be slowed down by nursing!

at 1 year my 3 kids nursed most of the time twice daily form 12-18 months and their intake was minimal and not a substantial portion of their daily diet. once in the am when they woke up & then in the evening. For myself if cruising at that time they would not care about nursing & if I were out for the evening- it was mostly habit for them- they saw me at that time of the day they wanted to nurse -- if I got home form work late in the am-- they didnt care and just ate their solids & drank milk with breakfast.

I dont think you will ahve to worry about anything & it will all work out fine

HOWEVER, if you are at that point still providing a substantial portion of their nutrition at 1 year via BF you could always bring a 2 day supply of milk and then pump instead of feeding . Use the milk that will expire to feed them and your pumped milk will then be good for another 24-48 hrs. OK plan if you are insistent that they receive BM only but seems like to much work to me and just let the grandparents bottle feed them whatever type of liquid you are going to replace whole milk with..

Our cruise we took at 18 months with the twins was best $$$ ever spent- BF the first kid til 2 years. but was done BF with the twins by about 14 months but they werent ready, it was just a habit , wake up and then walk me to the couch where they nursed. morning & night. at 18 months we went on a cruise. No couch. and they were having too much fun to care that they forgot to nurse the entire cruise!!! :D

When we got home. I made sure to never sit on the couch for several weeks and distracted them from going into the family room for the first week in the am and at bedtime. They never looked back

My daughter is almost 20 months now and still nursing (I've tried weaning, but she is stubborn). By a year, she was eating substantial table food meals and nursing just about two to three times a day - morning, nap, before bed.

I don't know how you respond to the pump, but don't be surprised if you don't produce as much by a year via pump as you do now. I would probably go with the idea posted above of bringing the pump and feeding what you pump and replace with almond/coconut milk as needed.

If you do want to bring pumped milk on the plane, if you want to keep it thawed for use, dry ice isn't a great idea. It gets much colder than regular ice and would probably freeze the milk in transit.

Tamsocal - I LOVE your weaning/couch story! I wish my daughter would fall for something like that. I love nursing her, but she has zero interest in stopping. Zero.

• 4 weeks later...

I exclusively breastfed for a year (we have a family history of food allergies, and DS exhibited significant food allergies at birth which we narrowed down through an elimination diet on my part - we delayed solids for a year because some/studies have shown that this can help with children who may be predisposed to food allergies) and we continued to nurse until DS was almost three. I was a breastfeeding peer mentor for about three or four years as well...

I don't know if you're aware, but the level of alcohol in your milk is equal to your blood alcohol level/BAL. If you're sober enough to drive, then you're sober enough to nurse without issues, particularly if your child is NOT a newborn or has medical issues/is on medication that might interact poorly with your milk at that time. I don't know if that was your concern, but depending on your pumping output, you could theoretically just pump when your child is disinterested in nursing, and then use that for the times when you would be away from him. Or nurse on one side and pump the other - I did that when pumping to donate for a friend who was hospitalized without her newborn. Don't forget to pack for your pump, if it's electric, as there may be limitations with electrical outlet access.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/faq/alcohol.html

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/

http://baby.about.com/od/breastfeeding/f/drinking_alcohol_and_breastfeeding.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Going on a cruise with my 22 month old who still BF and isn't on a schedule. I have a nursing cover but just wondering if there are areas on the ship (Carnival Fantasy) besides my room where it would be appropriate to nurse? He eats solids but a significant portion of his diet is still BF even though I went back to work 3 months ago. Oh and he won't accept any milk in a cup, only juice or water.

Archived