Hobby to Webster(?) to galveston carnival port

osucruise

I am needing to know the best way for the following transportation for 2 people. We fly in 2 nites before cruise and I kind of want to go to NASA and Kemah boardwalk before cruise so booked hotel in Webster area. What suggestions do you have for the following 2 scenerios from houston hobby?

1. Hobby to hotel in Webster area...It looks like a little north of League City but Houston address.

2. Webster area hotel to Galveston (Carnival's port)

3. we are leaving straight from ship back to Hobby so no worries there.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I am needing to know the best way for the following transportation for 2 people. We fly in 2 nites before cruise and I kind of want to go to NASA and Kemah boardwalk before cruise so booked hotel in Webster area. What suggestions do you have for the following 2 scenerios from houston hobby?

1. Hobby to hotel in Webster area...It looks like a little north of League City but Houston address.

2. Webster area hotel to Galveston (Carnival's port)

3. we are leaving straight from ship back to Hobby so no worries there.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Since you want to stay in the area for two days, I'd recommend renting a car. NASA and the Boardwalk aren't too far from each other, and both are close to Webster, but a taxi could get expensive. A car will also allow you the freedom to do any shopping, or go to any restaurants that aren't close to where you are staying. Return the car to the airport the morning of the cruise and take a shuttle to Galveston, returning to the airport the same way.

Others who have actually done this or something similar might have a better suggestion. Hopefully others will weigh in :)

Without a doubt rent a car. Public transportation in Houston sucks, and it only gets worse in the suburbs.

What hotels have you found so far that interest you?

I live next to both NASA and Kemah. I can help.

Thx teddy

I think I may have made a mistake going this route. We are staying at super 8 hotel/webster/NASA. One reason I went this rought is I want to see NASA and Kemah and did not want to dish out $150 per nite for hotel in Galveston. This super 8 cost me $65 for 2 nite stay..figured can't beat that (and no refund on cancellation) I thought about rental car, but scratched that off pretty quick, as when we vacation we like to go eat and have a few drinks...no way am I taking chance for a dwi. I guess I need to decide if I want to bite the bullet and lose $65 and get $150/nt rooms in Galveston or just get ripped off by local taxi. Last time we stayed in Galveston we paid like $80 towncar service one way.

I appreciate the advice...

If you want to see Kemah boardwalk and NASA you may want to reconsider car rental.

FYI. Do not drink and drive. Of course you shouldn't, but this area is notorious for issuing dwi citations.

I work in a facility that does business with auto breathalyzer devices.

Galveston is about 20-30 minutes out from Webster. If you choose to stay on the island the eve of the cruise, most hotels do the shuttle.

I really appreciate all your input...seriously. From the Tulsa area, so any advice greatly appreciated. I think we may book in Galveston since not wanting to do rental car. A couple of quick questions and I promise to leav you alone.

1. Is NASA worth going on a Saturday in your opinion. I am a huge travel show fan and would love to see an interactive museum on it.

2. If so I am I guessing a $40 taxi ride each way there from galveston.

3. Are Kemah and pleasure pier about the same in activities? Really just wanting to walk on a board walk and enjoy festivities and maybe a good meal.

4. Also, I am not sold on the strand...to me sounds like what every large city has in a tourist area...is that correct?

5. We are not the type that need great hotel rooms, but do not want bad areas of town. We actually get balconies and try to do cheap rest of the way. Any suggestions in galveston appreciated also.

I am not worried on loss of that hotel, but just want a good vacation. Your advice has been super and much appreciated.

Just out of curiosity have you been on Magic and any suggestions? (you are a wealth of knowledge and so glad youfound my post). We got Balcony on6th floor.

Thanks again,

I really appreciate all your input...seriously. From the Tulsa area, so any advice greatly appreciated. I think we may book in Galveston since not wanting to do rental car. A couple of quick questions and I promise to leav you alone.

1. Is NASA worth going on a Saturday in your opinion. I am a huge travel show fan and would love to see an interactive museum on it.

3. Are Kemah and pleasure pier about the same in activities? Really just wanting to walk on a board walk and enjoy festivities and maybe a good meal.

4. Also, I am not sold on the strand...to me sounds like what every large city has in a tourist area...is that correct?

5. We are not the type that need great hotel rooms, but do not want bad areas of town. We actually get balconies and try to do cheap rest of the way. Any suggestions in galveston appreciated also.

I am not worried on loss of that hotel, but just want a good vacation. Your advice has been super and much appreciated.

Just out of curiosity have you been on Magic and any suggestions? (you are a wealth of knowledge and so glad youfound my post). We got Balcony on6th floor.

Thanks again,

Before I unload, is this just you and a spouse?

Kids? Age? If any.

I'm on my iPhone doing this...

Summer, spring, autumn? Approximate date?

The seasons differ with stuff to do.

... 1. Is NASA worth going on a Saturday in your opinion. I am a huge travel show fan and would love to see an interactive museum on it.

4. Also, I am not sold on the strand...to me sounds like what every large city has in a tourist area...is that correct?...

Some links for you:

Space Center Houston http://spacecenter.org/

Kemah Boardwalk http://www.kemahboardwalk.com/

Pleasure Pier http://www.pleasurepier.com/

Picture Tour of The Strand http://thestrand.com/tour.php

Kat 50.gif

Thanks again,

1. It's kinda cool. Go a little early. I like lots of the stuff you guys do and if you are in to musuems you will think its cool. It changes yearly, but McDonald's/subway in the area have coupons for space center houston. Check their site and they will fill you in. In the NASA Kemah area there is a fair amount to do. There are also some restaurants that have been on food network and travel channel.

2. I'm guessing closer to 50

3. They are very similar. But - the grounds for the boardwalk are bigger. I'm not a fan of the boardwalk food. I will only eat at salt grass or flying dutchman on the boardwalk.

There are plenty of local places to eat that are better within walking distance and are cheaper. Tookies, and tbone toms have been on the food channels. They are good. And bakkus catered to that show on abc that rebuilds people's homes. Even under the Kemah bridge on both sides has great affordable dining with good adult beverages.

Pleasure pier Is owned by the same people (landrys) and newer. It's smaller but you do have the sea wall to tour. One is not any better then the other. It's just preference.

4. Your are on the money, but it's not bad. Good selection of drinking with pretty girls.

5. Give me the address of the super 8 you have. I think I know which you have. I'll fill you in. If you go to Galveston check the four points Sheraton. It's right accross the street from pleasure pier.

6. I have been on the magic. My room was 6472. I really enjoyed it. I'm not a carnival hater. I like their food and they have good customer service. We only did one specialty meal while on this ship. We did the chef table. You have to email them before the cruise then you get an invitation. It was 75$ per person. You meet the chef and they make you a meal with bottomless booze. You eat and tour the kitchen. The menus have your name and all.

The Italian specialty venue is pay by night, but free by day. This is hidden in the back of the buffet with little stairs. I loved the pasta menu. Try and eat on a Rainey day though. It's right under the basketball court and gets noisy. There are also two munchy spots in back. Sandwiches and an Indian food place reside here. Hot and cold sandwiches on one side and kabobs and rice on the other.

I think carnival offers a drink package now called the cheers program. Im not sure if it's offered on this ship. the adult area was very cool. I wish I spent more time here.

Which itinerary do you have? Ask more if you like.

Thx teddy

Our super 8 address in webster is Kings Row, I-45 S exit 24NASA Pkwy, Houston, TX .

After getting your thoughts we may just stay in galveston. No biggie either way, but I think NASA would be a neat stop. Also, saw greyhound races there. I have not been in at least 15 years(Wichita), not sure how much time that would klll but maybe good memories from college and showing the wife.

We are going to MOBay, Cayman, and Cozumel. We have been to MOBay and Cozumel a handful of times so may just play it as we go and shop and bars. Never been to Cayman, but it looks like 90% of excursions there are stingray swims. We have done that once already (which was neat), but hard to justify to do again. Any suggestions outside of sting ray swims appreciated. We would like to see culture and nothing overly physical..as a drink or two or 3, etc on the island and few places to see would be great.

I think that is all I have for now. Once again thank you so much! Please feel free to add anything extra you want.

PS I do think we saw somehwere an aquarium restaurant??? maybe one of the boardwalks?? Is this below sea level? worth going by your opinions?

... Also, saw greyhound races there...

... Any suggestions outside of sting ray swims appreciated...

... I do think we saw somehwere an aquarium restaurant??? maybe one of the boardwalks?? Is this below sea level?...

Some more links for you:

Click here http://www.gulfgreyhound.com/GeneralInformation.aspx for information about the Gulf Greyhound Park in La Marque, TX.

For other things to do besides stingray swims, click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147 to research the Cayman Islands Forum.

Click here http://www.aquariumrestaurants.com/aquariumkemah/visitorInfo.asp for information about the Aquarium Restaurant on the Kemah Boardwalk, not under it.

Kat 50.gif

1. NASA JSC now has something called Space Center Houston, which offers tour tram rides onto JSC property. If you don't want to pay for a tour tram, the Rocket Park does have a parking lot that you don't have to be badged to enter. If you're lucky, the longhorns may be out that day. Oh, and they FINALLY built a shed over the Saturn V.

4. The strand is a tourist area, but there are signs on every street that tell a bit about the history of the area. It's kind of fascinating to see the mark on the walls showing how far up the island flooded during different storms.

Also, if you do go, La King's homemade saltwater taffy really is good, and they have an honest-to-goodness soda fountain.

Gaido's (or the more casual Casey's) restaurant on the seawall is something of an icon; Casey Gaido is the latest in the family of chefs and most of the time the service is outstanding. It's also one of the very few mostly seafood restaurants I didn't mind the smell inside; the fish is fresh enough and/or the kitchen clean enough that you don't get that grocery store dead-fish counter smell, just a hint of salt water.

If you're into historic homes, check out Bishop's Palace and/or Moody Mansion, not to be confused with Moody Gardens, which really is a tourist trap. Old boat enthusiasts may enjoy the Elissa.

I have a question to add to this, can anyone tell me what travel options between Galvestons Enterprise car rental and the port would be? I think I can arrange for a one way rental, I would have to pay for an extra day since they are closed in Sunday, but how much would a taxi from that location to the port cost? Is there any other options?

• 2 weeks later...
I have a question to add to this, can anyone tell me what travel options between Galvestons Enterprise car rental and the port would be? I think I can arrange for a one way rental, I would have to pay for an extra day since they are closed in Sunday, but how much would a taxi from that location to the port cost? Is there any other options?

Other than a shuttle or a limo? I don't think there are any other options, for a couple of reasons, including that the Galveston Enterprise location refuses to drop off or pick up at the port. And they're rather notorious for extremely poor customer service.

Archived