Underage Drinking on Cruise Ships.

Further to a recent post regarding the disembarkation of Father and Daughter from a New Zealand cruise in rather unclear circumstances as to the "Real Reason" for this action.

Do fellow cruisers think that the lines do enough to advise and warn the potential outcome (disembarkation) as per your ticketing contract.

In this recent incident there was no mention of any punishment for those who procured the alcohol , that caused the condition for the "Underaged person".

I have not witnessed any underage drinking on any of the cruises I have taken but the condition and behavior of some "just legal teenagers" has resulted in no action being taken.

I know that the sale of alcohol is a great profit generator for the lines but they all have published policies on the serving of alcohol but how closely are the enforced.

Interested to hear any comments.

It's there in the terms and conditions. For example, for Carnival, in their alcohol policy:

"Carnival has the right to disembark any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation."

There are many terms with everything major, and many people don't bother looking at them. Even if cruise lines try to single things out, people still don't pay much attention, and you how do you determine which should be singled out? Then if you do that, and don't single out another policy, people complain if that other one is applied, so it's not a viable approach.

It's the same with flying that people can be kicked off flights for being overly drunk, or disregarding orders as a couple of examples. Basically, it's pretty standard.

It doesn't say you will be kicked off, just that you may be kicked off. So there seems to be some room for security to decide the appropriate action. People should know when they get on board that most public drinking venues have CC TV and sneaking drinks to underage passengers is a dumb thing to do. The risk of being caught is high and the punishment severe. RCI will probably monitor this closely because of the premium drinks packages where they don't want people on unlimited drinks passing those drinks to other passengers.

Recently on a X cruise, I saw some young girls (possibly 12 - 16 years old, definately not 18+) that seemed quite drunk, it was around 10pm. One was looking very green and I enquired if they were ok. They replied that they were fine and had had a couple too many, and were heading back to their rooms. As they wer not causing a fuss, I didn't say anything to security or the like but I wondered where the parents were or what they would say. I also wondered how they got so drunk, to me it was obvious that they were underaged.:D

Now my thoughts on underage drinking.

Underage drinking is delt with fairly well on the cruises i have been on P&O I know of a couple of young girls who where Underage Drinking and got caught by teen security they where taken to the Captain and had a stern talking to.

Though the issue with it on P&O i beleive is when you go buy a alcoholic drink or non alcoholic for that matter the computer screen does not show a image of who it is buying the drink to match the card with the face so if i wanted to i could of gone and grabbed my dads card while he was sleeping and could of put alot of drinks on his card.

Now that would work with even underage drinking I think the card should maybe have your cruise photo on it so they can match the face to the card so they can stop this or it comes up when you buy a drink to stop it a bit better.

Though I think security is great on the ships as I have stumbled on a wave and I was pulled over by security and have asked how much I had has to drink well that was my first drink of the night though they did keep a close eye on me but I thought this was real good And I am assuming if they wanted to they could of checked my card and see what i had purchessed that day to check

though now getting to underage drinking properly There should be a resposabitly of the parents or care givers on the cruise to know what there kids are doing on the cruise and where they are and if they are hangiing out with the wrong type of people inform there kid not to talk to them or maybe even talk to a teen security to help you out

Hope this makes all sence my brain is a bit mushed with all this and the other story about carnival spirt

Recently on a X cruise, I saw some young girls (possibly 12 - 16 years old, definately not 18+) that seemed quite drunk, it was around 10pm.

We were on the same cruise and I saw those girls several times in that state. The Lawn seemed to be the hangout and they had bourbon and other spirits in brown paper bags.must have been bought ashore?

Now my thoughts on underage drinking.

Underage drinking is delt with fairly well on the cruises i have been on P&O I know of a couple of young girls who where Underage Drinking and got caught by teen security they where taken to the Captain and had a stern talking to.

Though the issue with it on P&O i beleive is when you go buy a alcoholic drink or non alcoholic for that matter the computer screen does not show a image of who it is buying the drink to match the card with the face so if i wanted to i could of gone and grabbed my dads card while he was sleeping and could of put alot of drinks on his card.

Now that would work with even underage drinking I think the card should maybe have your cruise photo on it so they can match the face to the card so they can stop this or it comes up when you buy a drink to stop it a bit better.

Though I think security is great on the ships as I have stumbled on a wave and I was pulled over by security and have asked how much I had has to drink well that was my first drink of the night though they did keep a close eye on me but I thought this was real good And I am assuming if they wanted to they could of checked my card and see what i had purchessed that day to check

though now getting to underage drinking properly There should be a resposabitly of the parents or care givers on the cruise to know what there kids are doing on the cruise and where they are and if they are hangiing out with the wrong type of people inform there kid not to talk to them or maybe even talk to a teen security to help you out

Hope this makes all sence my brain is a bit mushed with all this and the other story about carnival spirt

You have expressed your thoughts well. Thank you. I agree.:)

We were on the same cruise and I saw those girls several times in that state. The Lawn seemed to be the hangout and they had bourbon and other spirits in brown paper bags.must have been bought ashore?

You normally can't get those onboard in that manner.

It doesn't say you will be kicked off, just that you may be kicked off. So there seems to be some room for security to decide the appropriate action.

It'll always be that way because there are vary degrees, circumstances and situations and you can't write rules for every one of them.

Recently on a X cruise, I saw some young girls (possibly 12 - 16 years old, definately not 18+) that seemed quite drunk, it was around 10pm. One was looking very green and I enquired if they were ok. They replied that they were fine and had had a couple too many, and were heading back to their rooms. As they wer not causing a fuss, I didn't say anything to security or the like but I wondered where the parents were or what they would say. I also wondered how they got so drunk, to me it was obvious that they were underaged.:D

If you cant see the age difference between a 12 and 16 year old then you cant really say they were under 18:confused:

But you are not alone In WA licensed establishments put up a notice that "If you dont look 28 you will be asked for ID" so if under 18,s can look up to 27 years old to some then its quite possible for 18 -20 year olds to look as young as 12-16 to others!:)

I have never seen under-age drinking on a cruise but i am sure many do and regularly with smuggled in cabin booze or allowed parents wine allowance, and so would I have:)

What is a 28 year old supposed to look like:confused: lol Whoever did the under-age campaign in WA must have thought 28 was really old :D

Archived