No Checked Luggage? Practical?

JavaHutBum

We are sailing on the Victory, 4 nights, June 20. Just dad and two teen-aged boys. We don't need a lot of stuff. If we just had one airline carry-on each, is it practical to carry (wheel) those on to the ship and dump them in our cabin?

Thanks,

Mark

You probably will have to wheel them around with you until 1:30 when your cabins will be open.. but its not that hard. I have done it a lot of times. As long as its on wheels np. Get one person to watch them while the rest of you fill your plates at the buffet after you board and that will take most of the waiting time.

We did the Dream last time with just one carry on. The only issue we had was room for teen boy shoes. He wore black tennis shoes to dinner as his big feet take up so much room. The boys can easily sneak to the cabin to drop off bags .

Sounds like a guys vacation. I say no wheels at all. Just pickup a camo duffle for each of you. That is the way to do it! Those teenagers only need one pair of swim trunks, 5 tee shirts and a toothbrush...maybe a small back pack would be all they need.

An option would be to board the ship with about 10 minute to spare. You could like go straight to your cabin and dump all your luggage and get on with the fun without having to babysit it.

I just got back from the 4 night on the Victory and only used a carry on and personal item, and...I'm a girl, so I can be done. :) My personal item has a trolley sleeve so it slides onto the handle of the wheeled carry on. My sister and I boarded at 12:45pm and our room was ready so we dropped off our luggage and headed to the lido.

We are sailing on the Victory, 4 nights, June 20. Just dad and two teen-aged boys. We don't need a lot of stuff. If we just had one airline carry-on each, is it practical to carry (wheel) those on to the ship and dump them in our cabin?

Thanks,

Mark

When we boarded the Fantasy last week we were told the cabins were not ready but we were free to drop the luggage off before heading to the buffet. They said it made for less congestion out and about on the ship. Easy peasy.

we only ever travel with carry ons. even on our 3 week european trips. the only way to travel in my opinion. board at 1pm and you'll be good to go straight to cabin and disembarkation is a breeze, walk off any time you like.

When we boarded the Fantasy last week we were told the cabins were not ready but we were free to drop the luggage off before heading to the buffet. They said it made for less congestion out and about on the ship. Easy peasy.

Makes perfect sense. I wish all the lines had that philosophy. Still a good idea to keep your valuable stuff with you in the interim.

we only ever travel with carry ons. even on our 3 week european trips. the only way to travel in my opinion. board at 1pm and you'll be good to go straight to cabin and disembarkation is a breeze, walk off any time you like.

Sounds like us! Yes, you can managed fine with just a carryon each.

If you only bring a wheeled suitcase or carry on-what size do you bring to go through the scanners?

Laura

They're just like airport scanners. If it will go through those, you'll be fine for the ship.

You can't elect to "carry on" a huge case, even if it is just one, because it has to go through the security scanner.

Man, I wish all the other ships would take up this philosophy! The Lido deck is ridiculous with everyone having a bag or two.

It's entertaining though. Lol. We usually check ours too just so that we can be free to walk around. We do use carry-on sized bags though. Mine is:

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101?productid=10235503

OP, that's plenty of room for a short cruise. DD and I are traveling through Europe for five weeks this summer with only carry-ons! :D As others said, if you can't take them to your cabin right away, just have one person sit with them while the others get lunch. You'll see lots of people walking around with their bags early on until the cabins are open.

Have a great cruise!!

We have 2 suitcases (one for each) that are just under the 16 x 24 Carnival says you can carry on. They fit through the scanners just fine with plenty of room to spare.

The last time we cruised on the Miracle out of NYC - one of the people at the port (not a Carnival person) gave us a hard time. She never actually tried to stop us, but she followed us all the way to security yammering at us the whole time that the suitcases were too big and had to be checked. I even pointed out the huge signs that said you could carry on a 16 x 24.

Figuring that I didn't want to deal with that again I emailed the Manhattan Cruise terminal - hoping to get an email I could print to show anyone who gave us a hard time. They wrote back - didn't say we couldn't, but security, blah, blah, blah, Boston, blah, blah - we might have to check it. Won't say for sure - just a "might" - which is worse than knowing I have to check it or knowing that it will be fine.

I'm not a happy camper because this means I have to take 3 suitcases instead of 2 because I have to plan to check the big ones, so everything I can't/won't check will have to go in another bag.

I could take one big one and 2 small ones, but it still comes down to 3 suitcases when I know I can fit everything in the 2.

We won't check DH's camera equipment. And my bag is usually filled with sodas and wine, which you aren't supposed to check!

I agree that stuff is fine. I just mean the main luggage. I'll still carry my backpack & my wife will have her purse & kids will have their little messengers.

Interesting thread, on the 4 day glory coming up we will each have a rollaboard and one other backpack sized bag. No faster to the fun in NYC so I'm thinking of just checking the two rollaboards just so we don't have to drag them around.

We'll walk off at the end. The problem is my size 14 footwear, takes up a lot of room in small bags.

Maybe after reading this I can talk my DW into not checking.

Heck we will take public transportation to and from the ship we are traveling so light. In December for a 9 day nope, cabs and checked bags.

I had one airport sized carry-on roller bag and a backpack. And a case of Pepsi :D Walked it all with me through the embarkation line, security scanners, check-in lines, all the way to my cabin. Not a problem. On the last day, same process but in reverse... picked it all up, rolled it out the door with me ("self serve"). Very easy.

My parents chose to check some bags and had to wait hours for them to arrive... and one of them never did. I found it stacked up in the hallway, stacked up by someone else's door!

My parents chose to check some bags and had to wait hours for them to arrive... and one of them never did. I found it stacked up in the hallway, stacked up by someone else's door!

Exactly why I don't want to check any bags, but I might not have that choice if they force me to check the bag. I don't know what difference it makes if it goes through the scanner as a carry on or as checked luggage - it all gets xrayed.

Exactly why I don't want to check any bags, but I might not have that choice if they force me to check the bag. I don't know what difference it makes if it goes through the scanner as a carry on or as checked luggage - it all gets xrayed.

I think it's just a matter of size. If you're really worried, stick to airplane-size carry-on bags. Use a backpack/tote/large purse if you need more space. I don't think you'll have any problems.

I posted in someone's thread about what to pack. You really only need minimal clothing for 4 days worth (and do shipboard laundry when you run out), plus you'll be buying souvenir shirts from the ports or the gift shop anyway. So it's very possible to keep it all in one carry-on bag.

Even with my size 14 shoes, I just wore my main pair and packed another one for the beach.

Archived