Hawaii POA - Sandwich Makings Avail in Port?

LilLeebird

I've had trouble bringing food on to POA. Security confiscated my pork chop plate lunch that my daughters were bringing back from a family owned restaurant in Kona.

Hawaii has some very strict agricultural policies. Each island is its own micro-ecosystem. There are plants and animals you will find on some islands and not on others. Please be diligent when removing items from your ship. Haven't sailed on POA in a while so don't know what their current "taking food ashore" policy is.

Security confiscated my pork chop plate lunch that my daughters were bringing back from a family owned restaurant in Kona.

That sounds a bit suspicious ... did the employee who confiscated it look hungry?;)

They will confiscate prepared food getting on ship, this happened in Alaska when may husband tried to bring me some fish and chips. We will be on POA the 2nd week in June. We plan to take lunch off the ship in 2 stops, one for the road to Hana drive and one for the VNP. Both days we are renting cars and driving ourselves, it will be us and 3 kids. This is more of a time and money saver for us. We paid for 2 rooms and after the cruise we will spend a week on Kauai, so I don't think us not purchasing 2 lunches will hurt their tourism business . Also we want to get on the road and see as much as possible in those 2 ports, so stopping for 30 min - 1 hr for lunch we prefer not to do.

Thanks for the info! :)

No problem. We brought a few items off just this morning for our trek to Hana. No one said a word :) I can't speak for bringing opened items back on board, though, as I've never personally tried it.

Quick edit: There is no security (bag screen, etc) when getting off, just punch you ship card and a shot of hand sanitizer and off you go.

How nice if you can pack something for lunch so that you can enjoy more of what the islands have to offer. Your time is limited and you may need to decide whether food or beauty is more important. There is great food to be enjoyed on the islands but food would be #2 on my list. There are very strict agricultural guidelines regarding food items entering or departing the islands but as long as you follow those you should be fine. I would think that a wonderful experience enjoying the beauty of the islands would do more to promote future travel than a plate lunch. I love a good plate lunch but...the beach, surfing, snorkeling, waterfalls, volcanoes, hiking...hmmmm As it has been said already, there are many ways to support the local economy without spending time stopping to eat if you don't have the time. JMO Cherie

I don't think it's a big deal to pack room service sandwiches in ziplocs and take them on a busy shore excursion day, especially the long ones that don't provide lunch. Or, if the provided lunch won't suit certain picky kids. Since the room service sandwiches are from POA the food has already been inspected. This might be the only option for some families, or people trying to see lots of sights in a limited time and with few restaurant options.

It is just sandwiches, please stop making a big deal about taking lunch from the ship. Not that serious. I like the what honeymoner did. It was smart and a good way to stay on schedule. Its not like Hawaii will lose out. Sorry but some people should be tested for common sense before they make comments that are dumb. :eek:

Archived