Travel agent really against Carnival? New cruiser questions

kah1829

Nope not correct.

The only examples I will give you is I have had clients offered rates by a PVP that were less than I could offer. I have Carnival contact clients already booked by me offering upgrades I could not even when they were working with an agent. Business practices like that and several other reasons are why myself and others have refused to sell Carnival in most all cases.

Just as you don't walk into a Lexus dealership to buy a Honda, you don't contact me for a Carnival cruise. Simple business decision. To answer the OP, yes some TAs are really against Carnival for reasons I explained above.

Wait... I am spot on.... You even admitted it, regardless of how you try to spin it... And yes, we know you are a salesperson. YOU think these practices are unfriendly, but in the end, YOU are the trying to make the most money off a client.. Who is being unfriendly?

Do you think Carnival should contact you to contact clients for upgrades? Do you think Carnival should start charging more because you do?

Wait... I am spot on.... You even admitted it, regardless of how you try to spin it...
Again you are wrong. We sold enough Carnival as well as other lines that we make the SAME AMOUNT OF COMMISSION in 2013 as we did in 2012!

I am a business and a profitable one. No sense in attacking any BUSINESS for that.

Again you are wrong. We sold enough Carnival as well as other lines that we make the SAME AMOUNT OF COMMISSION in 2013 as we did in 2012!

I am a business and a profitable one. No sense in attacking any BUSINESS for that.

They are a business too, and a very profitable one that. They aren't doing anything you aren't doing, except saving most customers money on cruises. And, you know I am right...

They are a business too, and a very profitable one that. They aren't doing anything you aren't doing, except saving most customers money on cruises. And, you know I am right...

Maybe profitable, but I know for a fact that their agent unfriendly policies have cost them millions as TAs have moved business away from Carnival since the first of the year. They may be sailing full, but making far less as their prices have indicated than even.

As a hero of mine once wrote, it is possible to make a product so cheap that no one will want to by it.

Maybe profitable, but I know for a fact that their agent unfriendly policies have cost them millions as TAs have moved business away from Carnival since the first of the year. They may be sailing full, but making far less as their prices have indicated than even.

As a hero of mine once wrote, it is possible to make a product so cheap that no one will want to by it.

I saw your other posts attacking Carnival so I know pretty much your feelings.

You don't think that the falling prices recently had a thing to do with the bad publicity do you? Its because they were suddenly unfriendly to TAs .. as if they changed so much recently and not before?

I saw a post recently that Carnival is actually offering a bonus to book Carnival this month? .. oh so unfriendly .. its not the bad publicity, its all about YOU the TA why prices are down. yea right. Luckily I dont have to book with you. I want a TA who listens to what I want.

Again I ask the question (with no disrespect to travel agents) in our online society today why would one even need a travel agent? I used one my first cruise on the Elation. I called back on my second cruise and the price they quoted me I could get the exact same room booking directly with carnival $350 cheaper. So with all the online resources where you can compare prices why use a travel agent?

Well I now know a few travel agents that I nor anyone else should use. When they make a statment like " I know what they want better then they do" I know they are out of their minds.

Customers are first and right no matter what a travel agent thinks they know.

Some very conflicting messages here !! TA's think they are great for steering business away from Carnival, but they think Carnival is terrible for steering business away from TA's.

Face it --- You can't keep taking and expect to keep getting a free ride.

Soon, all the cruise lines will decide to stop allowing the high commissions and direct the business to their staff thereby eliminating the role of the TA. Many have already started the process, so the backlash toward Carnival by the TA's will soon spread to the other lines.

Where can we find the statistics to back up your claim of diverting millions away from Carnival ??

Just got off the phone with my TA and he advised me that Carnival is tightening the control over bookings and three weeks before final payment date they are sending out pre-cancellation notices.

Not yet in effect, but rumour has it that all bookings through them in the future will have to be paid in full at the time of the booking. That sucks. Any price drops will end with OBC's but by demanding payment in full at the time of booking, they (Carnival) greatly improve their cash flow while draining mine.

We are looking at a cruise for the fall of 2014 and they are supposed to be taking bookings in the next couple of weeks. No way do I want to prepay that cruise now when we have two other cruises coming up.

This does not apply to all TA's by the way. Most people will not be affected or those that book through Carnival. Apparently this will apply to just some TA's -ours being one of them.

Carnival if you do this I will not be happy.

Nope not correct.

The only examples I will give you is I have had clients offered rates by a PVP that were less than I could offer. I have Carnival contact clients already booked by me offering upgrades I could not even when they were working with an agent. Business practices like that and several other reasons are why myself and others have refused to sell Carnival in most all cases.

Just as you don't walk into a Lexus dealership to buy a Honda, you don't contact me for a Carnival cruise. Simple business decision. To answer the OP, yes some TAs are really against Carnival for reasons I explained above.

I use a TA and she also has expressed some concern over some recent actions at Carnival. She knows we have loyalty perks with Carnival so will always continue to book Carnival for us, regardless of her feelings. She also has always submitted price drop forms on our behalf and sometimes found a better price than I have found.

The problems are not just what you are saying, about Carnival offering cruises at a lesser price than PVPs (which is NOT supposed to happen), but also situations where a TA has tried to book a cruise to be told there are no available rooms when a PVP can book that same cruise. I have to say, that I have my reasons for using a TA rather than a PVP and at the point where TAs can no longer get the same benefits that a PVP can, I will begin using other cruiselines. A TA is usually local, so by using one, you are supporting your local economy rather than putting more money into a corporations pocket. They get enough of my cruise allowance as it is.

Why even use a travel agent? You can find same deals if not better in the cruise line websites yourself. If you need air taravel there are plenty of websites to find the best deal. With today's Internet travel agents are a thing of the past. You can even call carnival or royal and they will find the best cruise for you. I usually find my cruise on their website then call to book.

OBC is my reason to use a TA.

If I asked a TA to book me on Carnival (or any other line), and they said no, they certainly would get less commission - $0.

Our upcoming cruise is a large family group. When we first started talking about it I volunteered to speak to a TA DH and I had used probably 15 years ago, before it was so easy to do everything online. We just thought it would be easier to book so many cabins with a TA and wanted to see what kind of deals a TA could get for us. We knew we had to use Carnival because we have kids under 3 in our group, and Carnival is the only line that allows 2 year old in their kids club. When I spoke to the TA they said they would not book us on Carnival, it wasn't what our family wanted.

That TA didn't know me from jack, didn't know my family, how many cabins we wanted, or anything, yet she knew Carnival wasn't for us. Funny, eh?

Seems like there are at least a few commissions a TA could gain from even a Carnival booking -- flights, hotels, etc. -- not to mention keeping a customer who travels and is (amazingly in the Internet age) willing to use a TA!

All TA's are not against Carnival and have no problem with them. It is all a matter of preference what they will or will not sell. Cudos to those who have enough business to turn a client away, because they dont need the business..... There are many more who would love to take care of them. TA's do not charge more for a cruise than a PVP. The prices are dictated by Carnival. A fare is not upped to gain more commission. The commission comes from the cruise fare paid. Carnival pays the agent , nothing extra is required from the cruiser unless the agent charges a fee. Royal pays more commission not usually because of a higher tier but because their prices are higher to begin with. A good agent will try to find out what the customer wants and add input to try to match the clients needs with what they want. Professional advice is what they should offer. There is still a great many wonderful TA's out there who will go the extra mile for the clients. No fees, no up charges, no balking at Early Saver forms and price drops. There are many new cruisers who really may get some great benefit from an agent, especially if they are booking Carnival with all of the new rate codes. It can get a bit confusing. It is all a matter of choice. To use an agent or not. To sell carnival or not. To sail Carnival or not. Thank God for choices. And yes I sell and sail Carnival and love it!:D

Seems like this thread has taken a turn and is now a debate on using a TA or not. Yikes! I'll offer my two cents to the OP about the different cruise lines. I've sailed on a variety of lines and each has pros and cons. Budget is always a concern these days and Carnival does offer a well priced opportunity. I've truly enjoyed RCI in the past, but recently have been displeased with their pricing. When I want a different atmosphere, more mellow, for lack of a better word, I enjoy Princess and NCL. DH and I are in our early 50s with no children, so you would certainly have different needs, but the bottom line is to go with what will be enjoyable to you and your family, regardless of what someone else might say. As mentioned before, you have many booking options available if your TA won't work with you. My good friend is a TA and I try to give him business sometimes, but I like the ease of booking direct so that I can make changes when I want without having to wait for my TA, especially when I find one well priced mini suite available at 6am on a Sunday :D Happy cruising!

Customers are first and right no matter what a travel agent thinks they know.

The number one reason clients use a travel agent in survey after survey is for advice. And frankly I have never been in a business where the customer is always right no matter what.

Seems like there are at least a few commissions a TA could gain from even a Carnival booking -- flights, hotels, etc. -- not to mention keeping a customer who travels and is (amazingly in the Internet age) willing to use a TA!

And there are TAs who are also business owners and make a business decision to choose to not work with a supplier that does not support them. As there are choices, TAs also can choose not to work with certain clients too. It does go both ways.

I have done many cruises on Carnival and in fact have another booked in about a month on Carnival Dream. I have also done a few on RCL and one on NCL. Trying to stay on the topic of the OP, my opinion is RCL an CCL are very similar experiences. Both will have very crowded pool areas and some noisy areas. I find the food on CCL to be better, I find the entertainment on RCL much better and I find CCL to be a more active on board experience. The ports are the same for everyone. I have also been on Carnival Freedom twice. I find it to be one of the better Carnival ships. I personally don't like the smaller, older Carnival ships as much as the larger ships. I like the active on board experience the is provided by the larger ships.

Have a great time.

Seems like this thread has taken a turn and is now a debate on using a TA or not. Yikes!

Indeed. Then, more on topic: fire the TA, save your money, and go with the choice that you have already happily experienced on at least one previous occasion.

I have heard that Carnival now allows their in-house agents to service the bookings of passengers who have booked through TA's.

I have wondered if Carnival's ultimate goal is to phase out TA's and have customers book directly through them.

Since the cruise line (not the passenger) pays the TA's commission, it would seem that in-house bookings would be more profitable for Carnival.

As another poster pointed out, Carnival's ships still sail full even with fewer TA's selling them. I wonder if Carnival's "agent-unfriendly policies" are by-design.

My TA hates Carnival as well. We will not book CCL through him again.

Cheap is good. I bought 100 shares. Buy low sell high. Now that's good business!

Archived