Travel agent really against Carnival? New cruiser questions

kah1829

My clientelle runs from mid-20's to 80. To a travel consultant, you represent someone with dreams of an amazing vacation. To a website, you are nothing more than data.

I don't doubt you try to take care of your clients, opinions on Carnival aside. I just don't know how many mid-20s really need help. Just like we all learned to book flights directly, I imagine most people already book their cruises directly, and that the demand for TAs will decline. More power to you though if you can keep your business model working.

Just got off the phone with my TA and he advised me that Carnival is tightening the control over bookings and three weeks before final payment date they are sending out pre-cancellation notices.

Not yet in effect, but rumour has it that all bookings through them in the future will have to be paid in full at the time of the booking. That sucks. Any price drops will end with OBC's but by demanding payment in full at the time of booking, they (Carnival) greatly improve their cash flow while draining mine.

We are looking at a cruise for the fall of 2014 and they are supposed to be taking bookings in the next couple of weeks. No way do I want to prepay that cruise now when we have two other cruises coming up.

This does not apply to all TA's by the way. Most people will not be affected or those that book through Carnival. Apparently this will apply to just some TA's -ours being one of them.

Carnival if you do this I will not be happy.

This would certainly make me ask WHY??!?!?! :confused:

1. Why some and not all TA's?? Then specifically why yours....

2. Why use a TA at all - if you can book directly with Carnival and NOT have to pay in full at the time of booking??

I would also be asking for some sort of proof - that it is Carnival requiring this change and not just your TA!! :cool:

Hi,

We've taken one cruise last Christmas with Carnival on the Freedom and we had a great time! There were some things we didn't enjoy (Mainly the crowds at pools and really noisy in our room) however over all we had a great time! We're thinking of another cruise in 2014 and called the same cruise agent who helped us with this cruise and she is REALLY pushing Royal Caribbean over Carnival... I've been on their boards and website and I just can't see that it's worth $700 more... Just wondering what your thoughts are here? We're looking at the Dream or Breeze for Carnival 8 nights and Independence of the Seas Royal Caribbean ship. We have 2 boys, ages 10 and 7 with my husband and myself. Thank you!!!

I am platnium on Canival and diamond on RCI and I would agree that there are differences, but crowds and noise level are not two of them. Some differences:

- RCCL is a little more formal (very little)

- Carnival's cabins are bigger

- Carnival has coin operated laundries, RCCL does not

- The Independence has a climbing wall and a surf simulator

- The Breeze has a climbing section

- The Independence has Johnny Rockets (pay)

- The Breeze has Guy's burgers and a Cantina for free

Bottom line is that both offer a good product. I choose based on itinerary and price, not cruiselne. To me RCCL would not be worth $700 more, but that is up to you.

l

My clientelle runs from mid-20's to 80. To a travel consultant, you represent someone with dreams of an amazing vacation. To a website, you are nothing more than data.

That's what the President of Blockbuster Videos said "To a Blockbuster consultant, you represent someone with dreams of the perfect video rental for your evening viewing pleasure, to the Netflix/Hulu/etc website you are just a download"

I don't doubt you try to take care of your clients, opinions on Carnival aside. I just don't know how many mid-20s really need help. Just like we all learned to book flights directly, I imagine most people already book their cruises directly, and that the demand for TAs will decline. More power to you though if you can keep your business model working.

I don't know how many mid-50's need help either. :D

That's what the President of Blockbuster Videos said "To a Blockbuster consultant, you represent someone with dreams of the perfect video rental for your evening viewing pleasure, to the Netflix/Hulu/etc website you are just a download"

Good point! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

The presidents of Netflix and Hulu said "to us, you are a smart consumer with access to literally thousands of hours of on demand streaming content at an unimaginably low price point, while the cable and satellite companies think of you as a sucker and a cash cow who is getting hundreds of channels of crappy content that you probably don't watch anyway." :)

Hi,

We've taken one cruise last Christmas with Carnival on the Freedom and we had a great time! There were some things we didn't enjoy (Mainly the crowds at pools and really noisy in our room) however over all we had a great time! We're thinking of another cruise in 2014 and called the same cruise agent who helped us with this cruise and she is REALLY pushing Royal Caribbean over Carnival... I've been on their boards and website and I just can't see that it's worth $700 more... Just wondering what your thoughts are here? We're looking at the Dream or Breeze for Carnival 8 nights and Independence of the Seas Royal Caribbean ship. We have 2 boys, ages 10 and 7 with my husband and myself. Thank you!!!

Hey! I have sailed both the Freedom Class (Independence) and Dream Class (Dream) so I think I have a pretty good perspective. We enjoyed both cruises very much but I would go with the Independence for sure! Remember, you pay for what you get!

Dream has a nice pool deck and the slides were awesome. Independence has the flow rider, rock climbing, H2O zone, etc. The Independence is hands down more elegant. Carnival really tried hard and did a good job toning down the cheesy, gaudy interior.

Either way, you are going to have a great cruise. But being on both lines, we are sticking with RCI but will go on the Dream class on Carnival. I would hate to know I've never tried RCI.

Disney is also good but they are way overpriced. Have never sailed with NCL.

Hi,

that's bad!! I'm a TA as you see I love Carnival 100%!! I was on the Breeze on Dec..please take a look on the Breeze its amazing..!!

I would like to sincerely thank everyone for their input! We have read through all the replies and we are going to stick with Carnival. For the $700 more on RCI it was NOT for Allure or Oasis - that we would probably pay more but those were even more $. Carnival Breeze looks like it will be a great fit for our family and our kids will love the slides especially. We're going to book Carnival on our own and use these message boards to plan our excursions. Thank you all for your input!!!

I would like to sincerely thank everyone for their input! We have read through all the replies and we are going to stick with Carnival. For the $700 more on RCI it was NOT for Allure or Oasis - that we would probably pay more but those were even more $. Carnival Breeze looks like it will be a great fit for our family and our kids will love the slides especially. We're going to book Carnival on our own and use these message boards to plan our excursions. Thank you all for your input!!!

Glad you made your own decision. You will love it because you did it. By the way. Planning for us is half the fun. Good have a great cruise now.

If there's time, book Early Saver....that way you are price protected, then you can go back and check the prices on a regular basis, and if the price of the cruise you chose drops, you can submit a price protection claim form and get the reduction (it takes about 30 seconds).

We are sailing on the Dream in November, and we have already received $200 in price drops, and a $50 on board credit.

Somewhere I guess there may be a $700 price differential between Carnival and RCL depending on any promotional special pricing and sold out status - but for an identical cruise week and itinerary purchased in advance? I doubt it.

The Travelocity price for a generic balcony on Carnival for an October 2013 Caribbean cruise out of South Florida is priced from $689 to $759. For an RCl cruise with the same parameters, the price range is $849 to $1,029. This seems like just some rational to think Carnival is such a great deal without regard for the quality of the product you are buying.

I think you will love Breeze (more so than Dream, I dont have any real urge to book Dream unless it happened to be in my backyard).

I love to plan things myself, so booking on my own suits me to a T.

You can do this on a budget and still have fun and money left over to plan another cruise.

That price is per person, now multiply it by 2....or more....you can easily come up with $700 for the cruise price difference.

We are cruising out of Florida on the Dream in November in a balcony....$648 each, and we have a $50 OBC. We booked at a rate of $748, but with the Easy Saver price drop protection from Carnival, we are now down to $648.

Each and every time we have looked at RCL versus Carnival for the same cruise/itinerary/similar ships...RCL has been $500 or more difference for TWO people, so you have to look at the price per cabin, not the individual person price. SInce I don't climb rocks or flo-ride, and I prefer less elegant and more comfortable....it's a no-brainer.

We are cruising out of Florida on the Dream in November in a balcony....$648 each, and we have a $50 OBC. We booked at a rate of $748, but with the Easy Saver price drop protection from Carnival, we are now down to $648.

Each and every time we have looked at RCL versus Carnival for the same cruise/itinerary/similar ships...RCL has been $500 or more difference for TWO people, so you have to look at the price per cabin, no the individual person price.

Hopefully you booked Early Saver, not Easy Saver, as once past final payment only Early Saver gives price protection. Carnival does offer both Easy Saver now and Early Saver. A few booked the wrong rate, which hopefully doesnt apply to you.

I have found deals on RCL too, so dont quit looking. I will pay up to $100 more total for RCL but not more than that extra. $100 is where I draw the line .. and some deals on RCL are cheaper than Carnival .. but I really shop around and dig and work at finding deals.

Somewhere I guess there may be a $700 price differential between Carnival and RCL depending on any promotional special pricing and sold out status - but for an identical cruise week and itinerary purchased in advance? I doubt it.

The Travelocity price for a generic balcony on Carnival for an October 2013 Caribbean cruise out of South Florida is priced from $689 to $759. For an RCl cruise with the same parameters, the price range is $849 to $1,029. This seems like just some rational to think Carnival is such a great deal without regard for the quality of the product you are buying.

Many who post on CC say the cruise lines are similar and in many cases, Carnival is better.

What are you actually getting for the extra money you would pay on RCI?

Hopefully you booked Early Saver, not Easy Saver, as once past final payment only Early Saver gives price protection. Carnival does offer both Easy Saver now and Early Saver. A few booked the wrong rate, which hopefully doesnt apply to you.

I have found deals on RCL too, so dont quit looking. I will pay up to $100 more total for RCL but not more than that extra. $100 is where I draw the line .. and some deals on RCL are cheaper than Carnival .. but I really shop around and dig and work at finding deals.

oops...you are correct, it was EARLY saver.....trying to type and cook dinner at the same time....I guess I'm getting too old to multi-task!

There are many factors a travel agent will steer you away from Carnival

Price--most other cruise lines are more expensive

Commissionable fare--Each cruise line sets the commission price they give to travel agents. I can bet that RCI gives more than Carnival

Agencies preferred cruise lines vs non-preferred--simply put some agencies do NOT want to book Carnival because of reputation. When I asked my travel agent my mom was using to book a Alaska cruise, they firmly said they would never suggest Carnival to anyone, and when I asked if they had been on Carnival--yes, you guessed right, the answer was no. They did go on RCI, Norwegian, and Celebrity a number of times....That was when I told her I was leaving for my 7th cruise the next day on Carnival and I'd never book RCI because their product does not interest me with what they offer.....

Personally, I would book it online or use a Carnival PVP. The PVP's are friendly and I have had good experiences with them since I started booking with PVP's....

I hope you have a great cruise. Just remember that the CC message boards represents at best 5% of the cruise public. Also remember that no one on cruise critic is going to stake their professional advice and reputation on the opinions they post about excursions. A professional travel consultant will. Cruise critic is a fantastic resource for information, but information is not the same as knowledge.

The presidents of Netflix and Hulu said "to us, you are a smart consumer with access to literally thousands of hours of on demand streaming content at an unimaginably low price point, while the cable and satellite companies think of you as a sucker and a cash cow who is getting hundreds of channels of crappy content that you probably don't watch anyway." :)

That is probably one of the silliest things I have ever read to compare a movie rental to a vacation experience. Apples and kumquats as far as differences.

I am afraid you would be incorrect in your assumption when it comes to cruises. By Carnival's own statistics, more than 70% of all of that one line's bookings comes from a travel agency. When something goes wrong on a trip, it matters not your age, a TA, any TA, is a far better advocate for you than you are with a supplier. Do a little research and you can find article after article of people returning to travel agents in droves! The number one reason people come to a TA is for advice. Price is in the mix of responses but it happens to be way down the list of reasons a person comes to a TA.

I hope you have a great cruise. Just remember that the CC message boards represents at best 5% of the cruise public. Also remember that no one on cruise critic is going to stake their professional advice and reputation on the opinions they post about excursions. A professional travel consultant will. Cruise critic is a fantastic resource for information, but information is not the same as knowledge.

Do your quotes come from the TA Handbook "How to convince the travelling public that we are still relavent?"

I mean really...this person has BEEN on a Carnival cruise before, so they know what to expect and still chose Carnival. So to say they have information and not knowledge is ludicrous.

and as far as your professional advice and reputation....go to the RCL or NCL or any of the other cruise line's facebook pages...they ALL have about the same number of negative posts from cruisers who weren't happy with their experience...so obviously you can't guarantee anyone they will have the amazing vacation of their dreams...all you can do is hope for the best on any of the cruise lines.

That is probably one of the silliest things I have ever read to compare a movie rental to a vacation experience. Apples and kumquats as far as differences.

Yes they are different...but what they have in common is that both the brick store movie rentals and travel agents, along with yellow pages and many other types of businesses are in significant decline as more and more people become competent in the information age. The Yellow Pages salesman has similar arguments to yours...THEY know best what advertising we need, and where we need to spend our advertising dollars, because they are the professionals and we are helpless without their vast knowledge. Meanwhile we eliminated our YP ads entirely and focused on the internet, and our sales have tripled over the last 3 years.

And just for the record, I do think there are certain circumstances where using a TA would be advantageous...such as a trip to Europe with stays in multiple cities/countries, and hotel bookings and travel arrangements and tours needed for each of the stops. It would be much easier to hand a TA of list of where you wanted to go, what level of hotel you wanted to stay at, how you wanted to travel between cities, and what you wanted to see when you got there, and have them do all the work. But a cruise? not hardly.

Never cruised anyone but Carnival, because I couldn't justify paying more for the other lines as well. If your TA doesn't want to help you, just go to the Carnival website and book it yourself! Then if you choose early saver you don't get the run around about price drops.:)

Amen, sister!!! Love the price drops!!! You can always call if you can't figure it out yourself. They will help you and advise you. I only have a $50.00 OBC right now for and Oct sailing on CCL. The price has not dropped enough yet to receive more. Last year I have $380.00 when I boarded the Ms. Magic............. Just saying

Archived