Georgetown

nigkar

We will be visiting Georgetown on our next cruise in January.

Can anyone give me a little information on the place. Is it a nice place ?

Is there anything of interest near buy, or any nice beaches, restaurants etc ?

Any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, George Town is a nice place. As the capital of the Cayman Islands it is very busy, with lots of shops and restaurants.

There is a pier where you can snorkel about 5 minutes from the pier, but I do not believe there are any beaches within walking distance. The one reccomended most often is 7 mile beach; however you would have to taxi, public bus or tour to get there.

Since it is your first time, consider snorkeling with the sting rays. It is a real experiene!

The shopping district there is quite large once you get through customs. We have been twice: we have walked around, in and out of shops and we have also done an excursion. The excursion was a bus tour that took us around the Island, to Hell, and to the Turtle Farm. I have kids so they loved it. After the tour, they offered to drop passengers off at the beach - you just need to catch a cab back to the pier and there are plenty.

We will be visiting Georgetown on our next cruise in January.

Can anyone give me a little information on the place. Is it a nice place ?

Is there anything of interest near buy, or any nice beaches, restaurants etc ?

Any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Since you are already on the Cayman Islands Ports of Call Board, all you need to do is scroll down to find what others have enjoyed doing in Georgetown.

Very nice port stop that most enjoy!

LuLu

~~~~

Grand Cayman has some of the most clear water and one of the best beaches in the world, 7 Mile Beach. The shopping in and around the pier is very good, especially if you are looking for upscale duty free stuff.

To get to the beach, you COULD walk it, but I'd recommend a cab.

If booking an excursion, Stingray City is a very unique experience. You'll be on a sandbar miles from shore. That alone is kinda unique in that you can stand in waist deep water that far out. But the real lure here is that Stingrays love this place and they'll be all around you. The guides on most excursions will wrangle them up so you can hold them, pose for a kiss, etc.

George Town is definitely upscale, clean and safe. We did the Stingray City tour with Moby Dick on both of our cruises. If you've never done it, definitely worth the try and experience was so much fun!!! We ate at Rackams Waterfront Bar and Restaurant and can highly recommend it. Outside on a large covered deck with beautiful view of the ocean and great food and drink. Didn't really do any shopping other than the vendors inside the port area (Royal Watler pier) due to time constraints, but would certainly feel safe in walking any of the streets.

OP - being from England I'd think you'd be familiar with this former colony! which today is still a British territory with a Governor as representitive of the Queen.

The country has one of if not THE highest standard of living in the Carib' area and Central America. Crime is low as poverty is low. Prices are HIGH - new condos under construction I looked at started at $750,000 US and went up from there.

While staying at Sunset House last month I had no concerns about walking the mile into town for dinner, and back, after dark. Well, one concern - sidewalks were not always available and the roads can be narrow.

The main shopping area is quite upscale, heavy on watches and jewelry - altho you can find a cheap t-shirt shop so you can fill that need too!

The food is good and the water safe to drink! But watch the prices - things here can be $$$.

I've spent many a week long dive vacation here since the 80's and it is always an enjoyable ship stop as well - altho on a busy day there can be 6 or 7 ships all dumping their loads on Georgetown at the same time. When staying at Sunset, we know to avoid town until after 4 pm on those days!

If you want a safe quet place off the main path, walk the 3/4 mile to Sunset House and enjoy My Bar . . . very friendly place for lunch & a libation and maybe even a snorkel . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1****xjnGk

OP - being from England I'd think you'd be familiar with this former colony! which today is still a British territory with a Governor as representitive of the Queen.

The country has one of if not THE highest standard of living in the Carib' area and Central America. Crime is low as poverty is low. Prices are HIGH - new condos under construction I looked at started at $750,000 US and went up from there.

While staying at Sunset House last month I had no concerns about walking the mile into town for dinner, and back, after dark. Well, one concern - sidewalks were not always available and the roads can be narrow.

The main shopping area is quite upscale, heavy on watches and jewelry - altho you can find a cheap t-shirt shop so you can fill that need too!

The food is good and the water safe to drink! But watch the prices - things here can be $$$.

I've spent many a week long dive vacation here since the 80's and it is always an enjoyable ship stop as well - altho on a busy day there can be 6 or 7 ships all dumping their loads on Georgetown at the same time. When staying at Sunset, we know to avoid town until after 4 pm on those days!

If you want a safe quet place off the main path, walk the 3/4 mile to Sunset House and enjoy My Bar . . . very friendly place for lunch & a libation and maybe even a snorkel . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1****xjnGk

How did you like your stay at the Sunset House? I wanted to go there for lunch the last time I was in Grand Cayman but the friend I was traveling with wanted to do something different.

Archived