Help regarding norway

I will be sailing to Norway 2014 on Holland Ryndam, visiting Bergen, Geiranger, Alesund, Flam, Stavanger, Honningsvag among others.

I am mostly interested in Honningsvag portside balcony views since we will be there overnight.

I love to sit on my balcony before departure, relax and look at the city or land views.

I understand that it really doesn't make a difference in the fjords but dockside is different.

Hope someone can help.

Just a suggestion - google Honningsvag webcam, see if there's a camera pointing at the docks. If there is, take a look at it in the morning (your 8am is their 5 pm) and see which way any ships are facing. The cruise season is starting now or shortly.

I will be sailing to Norway 2014 on Holland Ryndam, visiting Bergen, Geiranger, Alesund, Flam, Stavanger, Honningsvag among others. I am mostly interested in Honningsvag portside balcony views since we will be there overnight. I love to sit on my balcony before departure, relax and look at the city or land views. I understand that it really doesn't make a difference in the fjords but dockside is different. Hope someone can help.

As detailed below in my live/blog, the areas around the North Cape are interesting and good. BUT, the immediate port views while docked in Honningsvag are only what I would call "average". And, as noted, it will be a bit of a roll of the dice as to where you are docked and the direction for any views. I would focus and think more on what you want to do while docked in Honningsvag. See some visuals and details below.

Added questions and reactions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 106,802 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is the view as we were sailing into Honningsvag. Nice town and area, but not as dramatic and interesting as are the other areas that will take a rental car or ship tour to visit and experience.:

HonnOverallPortSailInView_zps08b30a72.jpg

Our ship did a full 360-degree rotation to allow all on the ship, whether on the top deck or in the rooms on both sides, to see this wonderful spectacle of the North Cape. The second shot allows a great look at the detail for this massive rock formation.:

NorthCapeShipTurning.jpg

NorthCapeFullLookGreen.jpg

After getting our rental car in Honningvag, the store clerk mentioned in passing a warning of “Watch out of the reindeer.” Just casually saying it. Sure. Maybe, we’ll see some in the distance. Two or three, maybe!? On the way to Gjesvaer near the North Cape, here was a small part of the large herd of reindeer we discovered on the way to our boat charter. They believed that all of this territory, including the road, belong to them. The young baby reindeer were especially cute!:

BirdRockReindeerOnRoad.jpg

Going down into Gjesvaer, near the North Cape, here was a harbor scene/mountain scene as we were on the way to do our boat tour to the famed Bird Island. At the bottom right are some of the wooden fish drying racks. Second is a picture more from water level up to the mountains hanging over the water, a boat in the harbor, birds in the sky, etc.:

NorthCapeTownMtnHarbor.jpg

NorCapeHarborBoatBirdMtn.jpg

Just a suggestion - google Honningsvag webcam, see if there's a camera pointing at the docks. If there is, take a look at it in the morning (your 8am is their 5 pm) and see which way any ships are facing. The cruise season is starting now or shortly.

Great idea. I will do that.

Thanks

TLCOhio

As detailed below in my live/blog, the areas around the North Cape are interesting and good. BUT, the immediate port views while docked in Honningsvag are only what I would call "average". And, as noted, it will be a bit of a roll of the dice as to where you are docked and the direction for any views. I would focus and think more on what you want to do while docked in Honningsvag. See some visuals and details below.

Thanks for your great pictures.

Aside from the Hurtigruten, which typically uses a different pier (since they have a ship in port every day), it doesn't look like there are any ships calling at Honningsvåg until May 29.

....... which is our cruise and we are so looking forward to it :D

No ship there at the moment, but this a particularly good webcam. Sweeps 360 degrees.

http://honningsvag.livecam360.com/flash/main.php

ibfishing2: Thanks for your great pictures.

YES' date=' super great webcam. Brings back nice memories and helps re-enforce my earlier comment for how much in this immediate port/town are fairly "average". Nothing that unique and special here. The two main docking are fairly close together and near the town tourism office.

Appreciate the kind and nice comments from ibfishing2 on my visuals. Below are a few more visuals from in and around Honningsvag. OK town, but get farther away to really experience the greatness for this "Roof of Europe"!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 106,923 views.

You can find this town's tourism office right next to this fun and cute troll statute where my wife and our friend, Janet, are posing.:

HonnTourismOfficeStatute_zpsf12be66f.jpg

Here are more in and around Gjesvaer, near the North Cape. First of a harbor scene/mountain/docking area scene. Second is a closer view of two reindeer on the road to this village. Third of my wife and Janet in our small charter boat with the special warm suits they furnish to protect against the elements going out to the Bird Island. Fourth, an example of the massive number of puffins in the waters. Finally, some of the birds flying against the backdrop of the rocks.:

BirdIslandVillageWaterDocking_zps3c6365cb.jpg

BirdIslandReindeerTwoCloser_zpse4bbb70a.jpg

BirdIslandSmallBoatSuits_zpsc909474b.jpg

BirdIslandSeaOfPuffins_zpsfea01bf2.jpg

BirdIslandRocksWhiteFlying_zps8a2ca852.jpg

Terry in Ohio

Below are a few more visuals from in and around Honningsvag. OK town, but get farther away to really experience the greatness for this "Roof of Europe"!!

I have a cruise before going to Norway, but your pictures wish it was the other way around.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a cruise before going to Norway, but your pictures wish it was the other way around. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can understand why you are excited about your upcoming Norway cruise. The "real thing" looks better than my pictures Since you are departing Dover, I hope you have a little extra time to explore and enjoy in southern UK before starting your cruise. That is what we did for five days in this historic and charming Kent/Royal Tunbridge area before starting our Baltics/Russia cruise in July 2008.

You've got some great port stops with Bergen, Geirangerfjord, Trondheim, Tromso, Honningsvag, Alesund, Sognefjord/Flam and Stavanger. We did all of these in July 2010, except for a stop at Stavanger. Too bad you won't get to experience the Lofoten islands. July is the best time to be doing these parts of the Norway coast.

Check out my live/blog. Let me know any added questions on that link and I will be happy to provide any added help needed.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 106,923 views.

Taking the cable car up to the top of Mt. Storsteinen at 1,260 feet provides great views of the town of Tromso, nearby islands, mountains and water. With our mid-day weather so sunny, it really helped enjoy this city in such a great setting. The Arctic Cathedral is shown bottom right in this picture.:

TromsoOverallCityView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

Arriving at Flam, the Captain is right there directing this process. You can see here some of the fjord mountains, waterfalls in the background. Below is another highlight from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views. This includes a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, waterfalls, etc.:

FjordsDockedFlam.jpg

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

Archived