Enchantment not so enchanting...

Just sailed the past 4 day on the Enchantment of the Seas; won't do that again. Before anyone takes offense to this post, let me say that we achieved Diamond status with this cruise and we definitely love RCCL. On the Enchantment the thing that we noticed immediately upon boarding was how dirty the pool deck area was. It was so bad at the pool bar that I wouldn't sit my backpack on the deck. It was a real turn-off.

Never the less we headed to the Lido which we soon discovered was not opening until 11:30am! Why board passengers at 11:00am if you are not going to open the Lido until 11:30? People were cramming the entrance area waiting for it to open, and when they did finally open the Lido people rushed forward like there wasn't going to be enough food for everyone!

We realized quickly that the Lido on this ship is not large enough to handle the number of passengers on board. People were walking around with trays of food searching for a open table. I am not sure is this was a problem caused by stretching the ship and adding passengers, or if there were a lot of early arriving passengers. We never noticed this problem on the Grandeur. So we stayed away from the Lido for the remainder of the cruise.

We felt that the crew was very friendly, and most of the public areas were clean. The ship is definitely showing her age, and we wondered if some of the cleaning issues were attributed to the fact that the crew is still adjusting to 3 and 4 days cruises as opposed to the 9 and 12 day trips they were used to. One crew member told us that the Enchantment is leaving the fleet after the arrival of Quantum, and that the Grandeur will be replacing her. Strictly a rumor, but interesting to say the least. She said that the Explorer will replace the Grandeur out of Baltimore.

We only ate in the dinning room one of the nights, but the service was fine and the food was so-so. We ate in Chops three nights, and as always it was great. Not very crowed which surprised me a little.

We missed Coco-cay the first day for winds, so instead of giving us a day at sea the Captain headed directly for Nassau. We pulled in at 2pm and did not sail again until the next day at midnight! I am sorry folks but Nassau isn't that nice, lol. I would have rather done the day at sea. We were able to stop at Coco-cay on Thursday, so no sea day but I am sure the Captain saved some fuel which made Miami happy.

A heads up on Customs in Port Canaveral. I recently retired as an Airline Captain, and I cannot count how many times over the years that I have gone thru customs and filled out "dec" cards. I always list a 0 in the dollar amount if I didn't purchase anything, and never had a problem.

In Port Canaveral the agent asked if we were bringing in food or fruit, or if we had purchased anything. We answered no to both questions, and then I saw him look at my Rolex watch. He flagged us immediately and they detained us for a search of our luggage. We were targeted plain and simple! Not because they suspected us of being illegal, or possibly because we were smuggling drugs. NO, it was because we were nicely dressed and had on nice jewelry.

Once we were taken aside in a separate area we noticed that it was mostly Anglo Saxon women and some men, but no minorities at all. I immediately felt that Customs was definitely targeting people that they suspected might be smuggling expensive jewelry or other items purchased in Nassau.

I asked to speak with the Supervisor and I told him that I could see what was happening and that I would be launching a complaint. After several minutes of back and forth he finally relented and told us to take our bags and go without a search. As we were leaving we noticed them tearing thru others bags.

Word of warning if sailing out of Port Canaveral. If you are nicely dressed and have nice jewelry on you are subject to a search.

We sailed the Enchantment in April, out of Baltimore, for 12 nights, and had a great time. I have never understood why everyone "rushes" to eat as soon as they board, since it will be very busy. Why not wait a little while? We did not notice dirty pool areas, or any other areas. We did feel sorry for the crew, as changing to 3 and 4 night cruises must put a lot of "extra" work on them, especially having to deal with luggage twice a week instead of once every 12 days. As far as customs, I don't have any "expensive" jewelry, so I guess I won't have to worry. Sorry you had these incidents.

because we also put $0 coming off Freedom in PC. We were a family of 5 and I told them all we consumed all we purchased. We only purchase drinks/snacks on ship or in port. We are over souvenirs. They asked us how many cruises we have taken and then they said go ahead. I don't take my nice/expensive jewelry. I wear a $10 wedding ring and leave all my jewelry at home in the safety deposit box. PC does have a bad rep for people hassling people boarding and disembarking. They took my water over spring break:(

I was targeted in Port Canaveral too. But not because of expensive purchases; I spend about $20 in the Bahamas, and that was just a pack of cigarettes and souvenirs. My cruise friends said I was targeted because I was a guy traveling solo. They did the usual bag search, then begrudgingly sent me on my way. My experience in Miami was better; just some questions on the spot about the customs form I filled out.

I'd like to add that the customs agents in Port Canaveral were the only people on the entire cruise that gave me any trouble over cruising solo.

So sorry you had these problems.

We sailed the Enchantment on both the final round trip and the repositioning cruise out of Baltimore and did not find the dirt problems you encountered.

The crowding in the Windjammer has always been a problem, if you can go on off times, it is so much better. We spent a good bit of time in the Park Cafe for lunch, much less crowded.

I am almost positive that the Explorer could not fit under the bridge going out of and into Baltimore and I believe the Explorer will be going to somewhere in Asia when the Quantam moves to Bayonne.

There has been a large change over in the crew of the Enchantment and that may have led to some of the problems.

I was one of the people who was sorry to see the Enchantment leave Baltimore, I just wished they would have stayed.

because we also put $0 coming off Freedom in PC. We were a family of 5 and I told them all we consumed all we purchased. We only purchase drinks/snacks on ship or in port. We are over souvenirs. They asked us how many cruises we have taken and then they said go ahead. I don't take my nice/expensive jewelry. I wear a $10 wedding ring and leave all my jewelry at home in the safety deposit box. PC does have a bad rep for people hassling people boarding and disembarking. They took my water over spring break:(

You will find this at any port during spring break.

One crew member told us that the Enchantment is leaving the fleet after the arrival of Quantum, and that the Grandeur will be replacing her. Strictly a rumor, but interesting to say the least. She said that the Explorer will replace the Grandeur out of Baltimore.

Enchantment is leaving that port, not the fleet

Relative to Customs at PC. We have returned to PC significantly more times than the OP and we dress nicely and wear expensive jewelry. As many times as we have gone through Customs there, we have never been hassled. We have declared nothing at times; and, beyond the allowed a couple of times and had to pay the duties - the officers were apologetic that we had to do that. What the OP experienced was not the norm in our opinion!!!

The subject line is somewhat misleading in that the Windjammer is always crowded at boarding on all RCI ships we have been on; and, the pool deck cleanliness was a non issue just last month. The pool deck was in fact exceptionally clean as I recall. I wonder if the dirty area was brought up to the pool attendants or their supervisor? Rumors from the crew are just that and these aren't even good ones based on current known facts!

Hope the OP has better experiences on RCI in the future.

You will find this at any port during spring break.

I have to disagree with you on this one; Spring Break is already over. They were definitely targeting us, and frankly it is was just plain harassment from Government employees. Nothing like ending a vacation cruise and getting roughed up a bit by some "peon" Customs guys with way too much power for their intellects to handle. I thought I would let you know how I really feel, lol.

Thanks for the info on the ship changes. I knew this was strictly rumor, but interesting.

Originally Posted by daljettjockie

One crew member told us that the Enchantment is leaving the fleet after the arrival of Quantum, and that the Grandeur will be replacing her. Strictly a rumor, but interesting to say the least. She said that the Explorer will replace the Grandeur out of Baltimore.

Enchantment is leaving that port, not the fleet

Explorer is leaving Bayonne just before Quantum arrives. Enchantment is not scheduled to go away from PC at this time.

I have to disagree with you on this one; Spring Break is already over. They were definitely targeting us, and frankly it is was just plain harassment from Government employees. Nothing like ending a vacation cruise and getting roughed up a bit by some "peon" Customs guys with way too much power for their intellects to handle. I thought I would let you know how I really feel, lol.

Thanks for the info on the ship changes. I knew this was strictly rumor, but interesting.

Actually, I think Patti's comment about it happening more during Spring Break was not directed to you and your experiences at Customs...she was directing it to the poster above who said he'd had his water confiscated specifically during Spring Break.... ;)

Actually, I think Patti's comment about it happening more during Spring Break was not directed to you and your experiences at Customs...she was directing it to the poster above who said he'd had his water confiscated specifically during Spring Break.... ;)

You are correct. :)

If you are diamond I have never heard a diamond member that has been sailing RCI as long as you refer to the Windjammer as the "Lido" but that's just me!

What I have a problem with as a person being a "minority" is the insinuation that minorities were somehow not targeted in customs because they were somehow in a different class of people as you because you perceive yourself to be of an upperclass of people because you wear expensive jewelry. I may be reading too much into it but that is the way I took it! Some things I think people ought to keep to themselves or choose their words differently.

If you are diamond I have never heard a diamond member that has been sailing RCI as long as you refer to the Windjammer as the "Lido" but that's just me!

What I have a problem with as a person being a "minority" is the insinuation that minorities were somehow not targeted in customs because they were somehow in a different class of people as you because you perceive yourself to be of an upperclass of people because you wear expensive jewelry. I may be reading too much into it but that is the way I took it! Some things I think people ought to keep to themselves or choose their words differently.

The Lido comment baffled me as well!

icon14.gif Like

I was thinking the same thing.

This is why I don't post because the attack dogs come out. Maybe I shouldn't have used the term dogs in the previous sentence for fear of offending any dogs.

Just posted what I saw; keeping it real dog. Oops, there I ago again with the dog. Sorry, may bad.

I am so, so, sorry for misusing the term Lido instead of the coveted Windjammer name. I am Platinum on Carnival as well so I guess I cross used the term. You people are so sensitive. And not that it really matters, because it doesn't mean a hill of beans anyway, we did attain Diamond status..whoopee, and we aren't a hundred years old.

As I said, we love RCCL, or maybe I should call it RCI. But we felt this ship wasn't up to the RCCL standards we have grown accustomed to.

I will go back to reading and not posting. I will leave the posting to you CC professionals like Scotty. You rock dude!

Never the less we headed to the Lido which we soon discovered was not opening until 11:30am! Why board passengers at 11:00am if you are not going to open the Lido until 11:30? People were cramming the entrance area waiting for it to open, and when they did finally open the Lido people rushed forward like there wasn't going to be enough food for everyone!

Further proof that the dumbest thing anyone can do on a cruise is go to the buffet as soon as you board.

My thoughts exactly!!

I agree with you on both Points.

What I have a problem with as a person being a "minority" is the insinuation that minorities were somehow not targeted in customs

Unbelievable!:eek:

To think that U.S. Customs would "target" someone for some reason.:rolleyes:

Amazing how some people do not trust our federal government.

Imagine what this country would be like if federal departments, like the IRS were to target certain groups.:rolleyes:

I have a hard time with the targeting, my wife wears her rolex, and other fancy rings, and always looks above the so called average and i kinda fit the Jimmy Buffet style LOL. Even when carrying boxes of liquor with us, and just a carry on for luggage, and have been out of PC many many times, I just say when customs ask for alcohol I say I'm legal, and never have been stopped. I cannot say it customs will not check some day but I would not care anyway, that is just the nature of travel out of the country now days, it is not like going to to see Mickey.

Archived