Air Tahiti

We are debating whether to book Air Tahiti economy or business. How cramped are the seats in economy for an overnight flight? I understand the seats in business class do not lie flat. I welcome comments from anyone who's flown both or either. Thank you.

Have only flown business. Until recently, seats reclined - not flat. The seating is currently being changed to angled flat seating with other improvements. The last report is that one improved plane (out of 5, I think) is in service with another coming on line shortly. Economy seating also being upgraded.

Angled flat is still not flat. In my opinion it's actually more uncomfortable than a regular seat because you keep sliding down. The only "lie flat" seats worth talking about are the 180 degree lie flat seats that other carriers use. Those are sweet and you'll sleep like a rock in them.

We decided to save $5K and fly premium economy on Air France. We're going to use the savings to go to Paris next fall for a week.

Angled flat is still not flat. In my opinion it's actually more uncomfortable than a regular seat because you keep sliding down. The only "lie flat" seats worth talking about are the 180 degree lie flat seats that other carriers use. Those are sweet and you'll sleep like a rock in them.

We decided to save $5K and fly premium economy on Air France. We're going to use the savings to go to Paris next fall for a week.

I would guess that most of us are aware that "Angled Flat" is not "Flat",but is an improvement over "recliners". Enjoy your week in Paris!

My experience with Air Tahiti Nui was far less than satisfactory. The plane's interior was old and threadbare (yes, I know they are updating them now), although their service staff was pleasant and helpful. The problem was with booking and seat assignments. I have had double hip replacements, and booked flights 6 months early to get two seat on the port side (instead of the four in the middle) for comfort, aisle access and to help me deal with the long flight. I got to LAX and found they had reassigned me to an interior seat. I queried the change, and they said I had requested the seats (the ones on my printed reservation) but had not "confirmed" them. I asked how I was supposed to do that, and they said I should have called a few days earlier to do so. I asked where that was written, and they looked at me like I was speaking an unknown tongue. I asked to be moved for medical reasons, and they said (the rude, disrespectful and dismissive reservations shift supervisor) that I could either sit where they had me or not take the flight. I called their customer relations department once I cleared security & provided specific info with contact info (they were closed on a Friday night, which seems curious since that is the time they fly from LAX). More than a month later, I have yet to hear anything from them. I asked if I could confirm my return seats, and they said I'd have to do that through customer relations (the ones who were closed) or do it in Tahiti (arriving at 0500, they were also closed). I travel a lot, and it is just not supposed to be this difficult to get an airline you have paid a few thousand for the privilege of flying to just give you the dignity of empathizing with the mess they created. They did not, and I would never fly them again. Of course, others will report they have had success with ATN, so YMMV.

Air France flies the same route with almost the exact schedule at about the same price. Their economy-plus is worth the price IMHO if you don't want to pop for first class. Their service is normally impeccable, and their aircraft are in much better shape. ON the return, their arrival process is quicker, also (ATN seems to get the remote offload furthest from the International Terminal, adding 10 minutes to your taxi time and another 20 minutes to your customs process with the bus trip back to the main terminal). Their economy seats also have one more inch pitch (the distance between you and the person in front of you) which seems minor, but helps open up the passenger cabin a bit. The premium economy has seven more inches than ATN's economy with a seat an inch wider.

Regards, Bob H

Where does Air France flies from? When I go to their website it does not show any flights to Papeete. Thanks.

Air France does not fly to PPT every day of the week, only 3 days a week I believe. Try changing your dates to a Thursday or Saturday.

As far as the Premium economy, the seats were nice but the food and service were really lacking. We got a small sandwich and a apple sauce for dinner. You get the regular coach food in Premium Econ. Still was not able to sleep on the way over, but it was very turbulent as well.

Air France does not fly to PPT every day of the week, only 3 days a week I believe. Try changing your dates to a Thursday or Saturday.

As far as the Premium economy, the seats were nice but the food and service were really lacking. We got a small sandwich and a apple sauce for dinner. You get the regular coach food in Premium Econ. Still was not able to sleep on the way over, but it was very turbulent as well.

With the flight leaving LAX at 11:45 pm, I'm not really worried about dinner.

The big draw for us was the extra legroom and the shell style seats to fend off claustrophobia.

Archived