December weather in the islands

The Societies tend to be hotter and more humid at that time of year. The Marquesas are less so, I believe it's in their "dry" season, although I know one year when it rained every day on that itinerary. When we did our Dec. Marquesas trip, we had a couple of tropical rainfalls, that's all. It was noticeably hotter in the Societies than in May, but it didn't make a big difference, beyond sometimes not wanting to eat dinner at Le Grill, and perhaps choosing to eat lunch in the L'Etoile (main dining room). Didn't use our balcony much, frankly (only time we have had one on that ship, alas.)

But really, I wouldn't hesitate to go in December again.

I understood that last December had torrential rains every day.

We went one Christmas and it wasn't too bad.

I too looked at the regent itinerary and DD was keen that I took both the repeaters and the regent cruise next year.

But to me tahiti without Motu mahana and the BB Motu is not the same.

• 3 weeks later...

What's so special of Motu Mahana and the other motu? We are considering Regent instead of PG because Regent cabins are larger and tours are included. We always cruise with Regent and love the experience. This will be first time with PG. Thanks.

I thought you had already booked the Regent trip forever travel!

I came to the PG via Regent and still enjoy Regent. Just back from the Voyager Safaga to Rome and have an option on another as well so I understand about the small rooms and not so luxe ship....Food too not as good as Regent either but very very decent. Service is excellent -- as good and better than regent. Most of the Staff are former Regent staff. Miki has done a few world cruises and I think even brought the Voyager out when it was newly built.

However, you can have the wonderful cabins and food anytime but there is nothing like the PG if FP. The PG brings the spirit of FP onboard with the Gauguins... on another ship you will be looking at FP from the outside.

Motu Mahana is the quintessential beach day in paradise. The Tahaa lagoon has grown beautiful over the years especially since the 2010 hurricane which destroyed much of Motu Mahana. The water is shimmering blue and the white sand banks gorgeous. PG does a very good job of doing everything they can to get you to enjoy this day.

Bora Bora Motu is one of my most favourite places in the world. Yes its a sand spit but the location looking out at the mountain as you sit in the water is lovely. I think I want my 35 anniversary vow renewal on this motu. 30th was on PG bridge....

There are kayaks at both motus, special events at Motu Mahana, snorkelling equipment you can borrow for the duration of the cruise. First class lecturers ( Mark Eddowes and Dr Poole).

My pics of both the BB Motu and Motu Mahana can be seen at miriamdcunha.smugmug.com

If you have been recently on the Voyager you may recognize a pic of Lakhsman ( now a sommelier with Regent) with us on Motu Mahana in 2009.

I have seen the Regent itinerary, in fact my DD thought it was a good deal and wanted us to go again next year in spite of the fact that we are on the PG in September 2014. However, IMO the 10 day PG itinerary is the best there is and you can choose the best season to visit FP. A few Regent/Silversea regulars will be on the September 10th 2014 cruise in case you want to join us.

The PG is the right size for FP. Marina couldnt even enter the lagoon in Feb when we were there and had to turn tail and leave after 3 attempts.

The B cabins on 8 deck are like the Mariner cabins in size but no walk in closet. Anything else is smaller. However with a ship so small the whole ship can be your balcony and we have been 5 times in the deck 4 window cabins once on deck 6 and once on deck 8. If you are still considering the PG I would suggest either 4th deck window cabin - save the money for something else or Deck 8th B cabin. The regular balcony cabins are not worth it IMO.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Nice starting price tag at $5,999 for a balcony room plus all the extras tossed in including the excursions.

The PG does have the inside trek right now with so much French Polynesia on board. Plus this is a ship with over twice the passenger count.

The both have pluses ..........

The consumer has a choice which is always good :)

I also came to Regent through the PG, when Radisson was running the ship.

To us, the PG *is* French Polynesia. There is the Motu picnic, the Gauguines, the tropical ambience of the ship, the casual friendliness. And as Emdee says, the whole ship is your balcony.

That being said, you'd have a great time on both. If the price is right, go for Mariner! I see they are offering "discounted" Business Air--a $2500 pp upcharge each way--ouch!

Thank you Emdee for all the good information. Yes, we booked Regent but is a year away so I can cancel and book PG. I'm looking at all possibilities. That said, we'll probably stay with Regent. I love the Mariner and I like the bigger cabins, plus free Internet, tours and other perks we now get. Regent was in FP when it was Radisson 7 Seas so I'm assuming we'll get a good experience.

The upgrade to business is ridiculous. We have not opted for air since I can probably get business air for the same amount and choose my flights without paying deviation. If we decide to change and go on PG my TA said the upgrade to business was around $3,000/pp. That's from LA, of course and we will be flying from Florida. I'm just happy that Regent has new itineraries and one of them is FP. Our plan is to fly early and go to Morea for a few days. The cruise goes to Bora Bora for two days but Morea for only one. Thank you all for the responses.

You are welcome forevertravel!

We also miss free internet on other ships. However we found it really bad on Voyager last month so in effect it was semi worthless.

I think we get two hours on PG as we have a number of cruises - cannot remember exact amount of time but maybe Motu will help you there.

Wendy make sure to tell PG your past Regent PG cruises so you can ger the free internet and also free dry cleaning ( 4 pieces per cabin or per person again not sure which as we have had both on different occasions!)

Wendy make sure to tell PG your past Regent PG cruises so you can ger the free internet and also free dry cleaning ( 4 pieces per cabin or per person again not sure which as we have had both on different occasions!)

I was wondering about that, Emdee! I have heard some time ago they might honor that, but didn't know. I will mention it for sure.

Capri,

I mentioned this to Wendy as she is booked on the repeaters cruise. I know for a fact that all PG repeaters whether they were on with Regent or PG cruises were to be given the 10% off. This is for those who were on the PG itself and not on the Song of Flower or the Diamond or the other ships.

With respect to other cruises you will have to check with your agent. When I first went in 2011 they considered me a repeater as I had been 5 times on the PG itself although those were all with Regent. So my current PG cruises tally is considered to be 8. Hope I have made myself clear.

Archived