Blue or white shuttle bus to Mendenhall

5kids2dogs

We are planning to catch a one way trip ($8) back from Mendenhall Glacier on either the blue or white buses on Aug 4th. Has anyone had any trouble getting on a bus due to crowds? There are 8 of us and I'd like to head back around 4:00. Will we have any problems fitting on a bus at that hour?

Edited by 5kids2dogs

We are planning to catch a one way trip ($8) back from Mendenhall Glacier on either the blue or white buses on Aug 4th. Has anyone had any trouble getting on a bus due to crowds? There are 8 of us and I'd like to head back around 4:00. Will we have any problems fitting on a bus at that hour?

both use old school buses. I would suiggest to use it both ways.

Edited by Kamloops50

All I can say is NEVER AGAIN!! talk about a disorganized operation!!! They must have sold 150 tickets for one bus. When the bus came into the parking lot it was a mob scene. People rushing the bus pushing and shoving, like refugees escaping from a third world country. We went back to the sales booth ane asked for our money back. The guy said well if you wait 30 - 45 minutes there will be another bus. We didn't want a repeat of that fun experience so he did give us our money back after a little arguing.

The bus will drop you off in the parking lot. It's not a long walk to the visitor center, it will be PACKED!! Like Sardines in a can. I believe there is a small fee to inside the visitor center. The visitor center is open from 8am to 7:30pm. They have a Ranger talk outside every hour or so under the enclosure out front. There are numerous trails around the area. Last time we went out there alot of the trails were closed due bears being in the area.

Edited by Eaglecw

I agree that I wouldn't wait til the last minute to come back, but we didn't have any problems either. That being said, we bought one way tickets each time and bought on the bus. That way we weren't wedded to a particular company and knew we were on the bus before buying the ticket. Think we took the blue bus there and the white bus back. On the way back, there were a bunch of people waiting around so we figured we would have to be on line and might or might not make it on the first bus, but it turned out that most had tickets for the blue bus and were waiting for it. The white one had just shown up, so we hopped on it and bought our ticket. Both busses seemed similar and round trip was the same price as two one-way, so there didn't really seem to be any advantage to one vs. the other.

Am I to understand that the smart approach is to simply hop on any bus at either location as you choose and wait to buy your ticket while already seated? Or do they collect tickets or money as you enter the bus?

Please verify this for us rookies.

Thanks.

It is a short walk from the Mendenhall bus parking lot to the Visitor Center.

And YES there can be significant amounts of people leaving Mendenhall. There is no way to predict when people are going to want to leave, and you can have to wait through a few buses. Key is to line up.

Leaving Juneau, the buses line up at the tram parking lot. Purchase a single ticket. With the return, you will pay the driver, before getting on the bus.

I agree that I wouldn't wait til the last minute to come back, but we didn't have any problems either. That being said, we bought one way tickets each time and bought on the bus. That way we weren't wedded to a particular company and knew we were on the bus before buying the ticket. Think we took the blue bus there and the white bus back. On the way back, there were a bunch of people waiting around so we figured we would have to be on line and might or might not make it on the first bus, but it turned out that most had tickets for the blue bus and were waiting for it. The white one had just shown up, so we hopped on it and bought our ticket. Both busses seemed similar and round trip was the same price as two one-way, so there didn't really seem to be any advantage to one vs. the other.

This is what we planned. Hop on which ever shows up with room. When did you do your trip and what time of day were you catching the bus? How many were you?

A different option: We take the city bus from the port area to the glacier.

http://www.juneau.org/capitaltransit/index.php

The cost is only $2 each way and there has always been enough room when we have traveled on it. It takes about 45 minutes to get to the stop closest to the glacier (but you will need to walk a little over a mile to the visitors center).

Cons: The city bus system is not nearly as tourist-friendly as the one in Ketchikan; you will have to walk a ways (but the trail is away from the main road and quite scenic); it is not a direct route; you meet some interesting locals on the bus.

Pros: It's cheap; you see Juneau from a local's perspective; you meet some interesting locals on the bus.

A different option: We take the city bus from the port area to the glacier.

http://www.juneau.org/capitaltransit/index.php

The cost is only $2 each way and there has always been enough room when we have traveled on it. It takes about 45 minutes to get to the stop closest to the glacier (but you will need to walk a little over a mile to the visitors center).

Cons: The city bus system is not nearly as tourist-friendly as the one in Ketchikan; you will have to walk a ways (but the trail is away from the main road and quite scenic); it is not a direct route; you meet some interesting locals on the bus.

Pros: It's cheap; you see Juneau from a local's perspective; you meet some interesting locals on the bus.

What is the trail? I was under the impression that you had to walk the road to Mendenhall from the public bus stop.

You are only on the road with the cars for a few minutes- a bit longer going to the glacier because of where the bus drops you off as opposed to where you get back on it. When you get off at the stop, walk to the corner of Mendenhall Loop and Glacier Spur Road. walk across Glacier Spur Road and get on the trail. This trail will take you all the way to the visitors center. If you look at Google Maps in hybrid view you can make out the trail on the side of the road. It is definitely not as convenient as the shuttle, but it may be a viable option for those who want a cheap alternative adventure!

You are only on the road with the cars for a few minutes- a bit longer going to the glacier because of where the bus drops you off as opposed to where you get back on it. When you get off at the stop, walk to the corner of Mendenhall Loop and Glacier Spur Road. walk across Glacier Spur Road and get on the trail. This trail will take you all the way to the visitors center. If you look at Google Maps in hybrid view you can make out the trail on the side of the road. It is definitely not as convenient as the shuttle, but it may be a viable option for those who want a cheap alternative adventure!

You might want to keep your eye out for bear.

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone taken a cab to the glacier and if so, how much was that? There will be 4 of us.

We took a cab to the airport which was around $25. I would think it would be close to that. You can call a cab company and ask for their rates. Here are two our vendor suggested:

1. Capital Cab (907) 586-2772

2. Evergreen Taxi: (907) 586-2121

We were just there, we used the blue bus, bought tixs for 1 way, that way you can buy tixs on either bus for the return trip. We happened to catch a blue bus, but a white one was just behind us. It is a short walk from parking lot to visitor center, with bathrooms in between. There is a elevator if needed to go up to the center. The fee is $3.00 per person unless you have a national parks pass. Don't wait until the last minute to leave, you will want to give yourself some time.

Hike to nugget falls is about 1 mile each way.

You can buy tixs on the bus.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was just in contact with Evergreen Taxi today - very friendly! We have 6 in our party and will be going later in the day, so a taxi seemed a better option. It is my understanding that the blue buses run until 6pm, but the visitor center is open until 7:30 pm. They quoted $35-38 each way for the taxi (not per person).

Also, the Forest Service charges $1.58 per person for entry into the park which you have to pay if you are taking a taxi. If you are taking the blue bus, it is included in the fare. You may make a reservation for the taxi as well.

Enjoy your visit!

It is about a 15-20 min. drive and sometimes is standing room only. There was some confusion at the dock because people with the wrong color ticket thought they were getting on the blue bus.

It really isn't that complicated, but be sure to NOT tear off the small voucher tag. The driver out there was really gruff about that and then the return driver didn't even ask for ANYONE's ticket.

Just don't cut it close. The last bus leaves at 6PM. The rangers WILL call for a taxi if you are left behind at Mendenhall.